Immaculate Deception - Video from Idaho 4A State Quaterfinals

colonel-fan

Any player can receive a backwards pass and/or a ball handed backwards.

This isn't what is called a 'planned loose ball' because the ball was never loose.

The rules allow for a handoff (forward, that is) to a lineman after the lineman has turned and faced his own goal line (with both of his feet facing his own goal line) and the lineman must be at least one yard behind his own line of scrimmage. (7-3-2a)

The play is legal.

FBRULES

Does this cover the old Nebraska "Fumblerooski" play? Is that illegal?

First, I'm pretty confident that every varsity official knows that this play is legal; we cover all the goofy stuff on the NFHS Part II exam that we take each year. Secondly, what type of foul would they call? Illegal handing maybe, but if you know enough to call something like that you're very likely gonna know this particular exception to that particular rule.

Now, I think it's a fine idea for a coach to tell the referee about his "trick" plays in the pregame conference. First and foremost, illegal plays can be nipped in the bud. But most importantly, this type of legal play is often just an inadvertent whistle waiting to happen if the crew gets caught by surprise with it. Let's be honest, you don't see this very often. The officiating crew on that clip did a great job of whistle control. Even if they knew it might be coming.

offside

Great post!I agree they did a good job.Thanks for the input and info.:thumb:

Rockcastle ran this play for Leger when he was a senior. The coaching staff reviewed the play with the officials beforehand to make sure they were well aware of this rarely used rule. Leger ran about 60-70 yards for a TD. It was called back for a hold nowhere near the play. Legal play if done right.

I wonder if the officiating crew fell for the fake or if they say the whole thing. Seems that if you followed the quarterback, then you would not see the lineman running with the ball until he was down the field.

Glad to hear though that the officials made the right call and that the game was not won on an illegal play or a missed call by the refs. Way to go stripes.