Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kentucky Sports Classification

Featured Replies

For one the bigger schools usually do win.

2nd, and this is a big concern for the KHSAA, attendance.

The attendance has been way down. This year the boys tournament is the last week of the NCAA season. If attendance goes up this year then look for the KHSAA to look at staying away from the opening week of the NCAA tournament.

 

Staying away from the NCAA Tournament is something that they should do yearly.

  • Replies 51
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’d hate to see a lot of the sports classified but I am no longer totally against it like I used to be.

Staying away from the NCAA Tournament is something that they should do yearly.

 

If this doesn’t work then I don’t really see much else helping the crowds.

I’d hate to see a lot of the sports classified but I am no longer totally against it like I used to be.

 

 

I’m with you on that.

I'd be much more for Private Schools vs Public Schools.

  • Author
I'd be much more for Private Schools vs Public Schools.

 

There aren't enough private schools in Kentucky for this to be feasible even if people were in favor of it.

Until the KHSAA has a commissioner from outside the triangle, there will be no classing.

 

Soccer and volleyball are the two sports that scream the loudest for classing. One small school has won a soccer state title and that was 44 years ago. Only two have advanced to the title game.

 

I know of two schools in western Kentucky that will not play volleyball becuase the region is top-loaded with large schools.

 

I understand that basketball is the cash-cow. People like going to Rupp and listen to the old farts reminisce about Darrell Griffith and Richie Farmer and King Kelly. But that isn't putting fans in the seats anymore.

 

As a compromise, the KHSAA should class everything except basketball. Four classes for football and three classes for everything else. Do away with districts and have a region tournament that every team qualifies for. There are too many two and three-team soccer districts in the state right now.

 

Leave basketball alone. It is one of the few sports that has shown a small school can advance to the Sweet 16 every now and then. Only two small schools have won in the past 26 years, but hey, tradition right?

 

There is a reason why Kentucky and Transylvania don't play in the same athletic conference. Colleges divide their schools into classes. 48 other states divide their schools into classes. When did Kentucky suddenly corner the market on athletic intelligence?

Staying away from the NCAA Tournament is something that they should do yearly.

 

This is the biggest factor in attendance, IMO. Especially when multiple state schools make the tournament.

I think the video streaming of games and the elimination of the paper program have as much to do with it as anything. Basketball games used to be experiences. Coaches were welcomed and used it as a networking experience. Assistant coaches came as a perk of of a low-paying job. Now, schools are relunctant to let coaching staffs off to attend the Sweet 16. There is no program with rosters and history you can hold in your hand. T-shirts are $40. There is a list as long as my arm as to what students can bring/not bring and do/not do in the arena.

 

NCAA Tourney is A factor in declining attendance but not THE factor.

I think you are spot on with this analysis. I don't think we will ever go back to 4 classes in Football (even if we should), but having 3 classes for every other sport should happen. If you keep the 6 classes in football people can much pretty identify which schools are which by football (1-2 A football means 1 A in other sports). I am sure there would be some exceptions to this (Non football playing schools and all girls schools.)

If this change were made, I would like to see a multiplier placed on private schools as well.

 

Until the KHSAA has a commissioner from outside the triangle, there will be no classing.

 

Soccer and volleyball are the two sports that scream the loudest for classing. One small school has won a soccer state title and that was 44 years ago. Only two have advanced to the title game.

 

I know of two schools in western Kentucky that will not play volleyball becuase the region is top-loaded with large schools.

 

I understand that basketball is the cash-cow. People like going to Rupp and listen to the old farts reminisce about Darrell Griffith and Richie Farmer and King Kelly. But that isn't putting fans in the seats anymore.

 

As a compromise, the KHSAA should class everything except basketball. Four classes for football and three classes for everything else. Do away with districts and have a region tournament that every team qualifies for. There are too many two and three-team soccer districts in the state right now.

 

Leave basketball alone. It is one of the few sports that has shown a small school can advance to the Sweet 16 every now and then. Only two small schools have won in the past 26 years, but hey, tradition right?

 

There is a reason why Kentucky and Transylvania don't play in the same athletic conference. Colleges divide their schools into classes. 48 other states divide their schools into classes. When did Kentucky suddenly corner the market on athletic intelligence?

We are headed to basketball classification. It started years go with the All-A "State Championship". Now we have a 2A "State Championship". When does 3A get theirs?

We are headed to basketball classification. It started years go with the All-A "State Championship". Now we have a 2A "State Championship". When does 3A get theirs?

 

Those aren't state state champions, just another in season tourney...just happens to be based on school size and not invitation.

We are headed to basketball classification. It started years go with the All-A "State Championship". Now we have a 2A "State Championship". When does 3A get theirs?

 

These tournaments actually help the KHSAA.

  • Author
We are headed to basketball classification. It started years go with the All-A "State Championship". Now we have a 2A "State Championship". When does 3A get theirs?

 

These tournaments actually help the KHSAA.

 

I agree with sweet16. The all a classic tournaments make it less likely there will be classification in basketball in Kentucky.

So why does the winning team of these "tournaments" have banners that say state champion"

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.