Open Job: Scott

Thanks for the update.

I want to be optimistic too but when I hear 5 months, teaching positions impacting the hire, what a school has done in the past, and a home opener vs. Highlands I am struggling with it.

Unless you are hiring a paraprofessional, teaching positions are going to impact the hire, especially if you have out of area candidates. Nobody is going to move for just the football job.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you are hiring a paraprofessional, teaching positions are going to impact the hire, especially if you have out of area candidates. Nobody is going to move for just the football job.

Sounds like a good recipe to get something other than the best candidate.

Got off to a rocky start in regards to source reporting but I can confirm that the final round of interviews took place on Saturday. This means we should hear something relatively soon but don’t be surprised if it stretches until the candidate is confirmed by SBDM.

Exactly. This isn’t the NCAA. This hire has to be a realistic fit into the school, the educational programming and the district of Kenton county.

I think the pool is better now that people will know it can come with a teaching job, vs, hoping that one opens up after they’ve announced their departure.

Woolley and the staff are still there, running weights and conditioning. Everything is fine.

The AD is a former head and assistant coach and bleeds Eagle Blue.

It’ll be fine.

From the limited chatter I’ve heard, I’m optimistic.

Got off to a rocky start in regards to source reporting but I can confirm that the final round of interviews took place on Saturday. This means we should hear something relatively soon but don’t be surprised if it stretches until the candidate is confirmed by SBDM.

Exactly. This isn’t the NCAA. This hire has to be a realistic fit into the school, the educational programming and the district of Kenton county.

I think the pool is better now that people will know it can come with a teaching job, vs, hoping that one opens up after they’ve announced their departure.

Woolley and the staff are still there, running weights and conditioning. Everything is fine.

The AD is a former head and assistant coach and bleeds Eagle Blue.

It’ll be fine.

I just talked to someone that told me Lloyd head coach Eric Turner is a finalist for the Scott job.

Is that a name any of you can confirm or deny?

The bottom line is administrations have a lot at stake these days with academics. I was told one time that my principal would not sacrifice an average teacher for an excellent coach.

20 years ago it would've commonplace for a principal to save a position for a coach, but now these administrators have to get the best teachers.

The bottom line is administrations have a lot at stake these days with academics. I was told one time that my principal would not sacrifice an average teacher for an excellent coach.

20 years ago it would've commonplace for a principal to save a position for a coach, but now these administrators have to get the best teachers.

Yet they'll fire you much quicker for the job that is of "less importance".

While what you say still holds true- there are still many places out there that help accommodate head coaches (both in football and basketball) in needed teaching roles, but ones that are less demanding due to how demanding being a head coach (in those sports specifically) are nowadays.

There is nothing about being a head football coach that is a part time job except maybe in the offseason/spring semester.

I personally think you are starting to see a swing back to how things were in the old days.

Administrators know they have to find the best teachers, but they also know the need for quality sports programs in the school and what those do for the overall school culture and the effect they can have on the academic success as well (they both feed off each other obviously).

Coaches are becoming harder and harder to find. More are getting out than are getting in it. Administrators know this. They need great teachers (and most good coaches are good teachers- it's just that the public eye likes to focus on the bad apples). I'm sure you know this, but it's funny how a crappy English teacher that doesn't coach anything isn't near the big deal that somebody who is a head coach that might also be a crappy English teacher. Funny how that works isn't it?

On a completely other subject, well, not really- I still find it amazing how the south operates (Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina and even much of Tennessee) compared to here in Kentucky.

Their academics are just as strong, if not better.

Their schools and facilities as just as good, and better for the most part.

They are able to pay their coaches a ton more.

Many of them have Strength/Conditioning most or all of the day.

Their coaches have lessened roles in the classroom due to their administration realizing that its a full time job in and of itself.

I just talked to someone that told me Lloyd head coach Eric Turner is a finalist for the Scott job.

Is that a name any of you can confirm or deny?

I know, me quoting me since no one wants to go on the record.

No one is denying Coach Turner and I believe that would be a good hire.

I also heard another Lloyd assistant coach applied.

I heard a middle school coach applied and was impressive.

I heard Kevin Siple's name being thrown around.

I even heard a Pirate applied. LOL I am not making this up.

Anyone?

I'm guessing Scott doesn't offer Driver's Ed.