Open Job: Scott

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully the AD looks outside for this like he did for the new baseball coach he hired. I’m hearing a bunch of people talk that they are excited in the hire of the baseball coach, so hopes of this for football would be great also...

They need a coach that runs a spread offense.

What you run isn't as important as committing to a system, and developing players within that system. You don't need to run a spread in high school to be successful. Running the spread wouldn't have helped Scott beat Johnson Central who's knocked them out of the playoffs the last four years.

This should be a very appealing job. Great facilities, a solid youth and middle school program, a very solid returning core, and the upcoming Sophomore class is very talented.

What you run isn't as important as committing to a system, and developing players within that system. You don't need to run a spread in high school to be successful. Running the spread wouldn't have helped Scott beat Johnson Central who's knocked them out of the playoffs the last four years.

This should be a very appealing job. Great facilities, a solid youth and middle school program, a very solid returning core, and the upcoming Sophomore class is very talented.

Basically what I met. Start running a program like SK and develop players.

Basically what I met. Start running a program like SK and develop players.

Apples and oranges. SK’s size and the fact that they have two feeder programs provide them more talent and more depth. Despite the recent success, there are still many in the area that still think of Scott as the old Scott. Open enrollment is still a problem, as I know of at least a half dozen quality players that should be at Scott that are open enrolled at SK. The new coach is going to have to find a way to keep more of those kids. Scott has done much better in this area than in years past, but there is still room to improve. The youth program is solid. The middle school team has won 3 championships in the last 6 years. There are really good players in the pipeline, and on the current roster. But depth is still a problem. The next coach has got to keep fighting and battling for players to keep kids in district.

They have the right formula in Taylor Mill...they don’t have to “run a program like SK”. The program just needs to keep building and improving the program that’s in place. The “program” has been in place since Dave Campbell took over 10 years ago. It jumped a level or two under Coach Woolley. What those two coaches accomplished in a decade is really remarkable. Now, they need to get the right guy in place...the pieces are place for the program to take another jump. They don’t need to do it the SK “way”.

Apples and oranges. SK’s size and the fact that they have two feeder programs provide them more talent and more depth. Despite the recent success, there are still many in the area that still think of Scott as the old Scott. Open enrollment is still a problem, as I know of at least a half dozen quality players that should be at Scott that are open enrolled at SK. The new coach is going to have to find a way to keep more of those kids. Scott has done much better in this area than in years past, but there is still room to improve. The youth program is solid. The middle school team has won 3 championships in the last 6 years. There are really good players in the pipeline, and on the current roster. But depth is still a problem. The next coach has got to keep fighting and battling for players to keep kids in district.

They have the right formula in Taylor Mill...they don’t have to “run a program like SK”. The program just needs to keep building and improving the program that’s in place. The “program” has been in place since Dave Campbell took over 10 years ago. It jumped a level or two under Coach Woolley. What those two coaches accomplished in a decade is really remarkable. Now, they need to get the right guy in place...the pieces are place for the program to take another jump. They don’t need to do it the SK “way”.

They are also losing kids to Beechwood and CovCarh.

They are also losing kids to Beechwood and CovCarh.

Yes, that happens, but that's just a kid hear and there. Again, I can name at least a 1/2 dozen guys playing for SK that by where they live, should go to Scott, and would start and make an impact for Scott.

Yes, that happens, but that's just a kid hear and there. Again, I can name at least a 1/2 dozen guys playing for SK that by where they live, should go to Scott, and would start and make an impact for Scott.

And there is an issue that needs to be addressed. The next coach needs to circle the wagons around the Scott community and do everything he can to keep those kids "home". There is a good feeder system in the Taylor Mill Eagles, excellent facilities and strong community support. Putting a stop gap in that should be a top priority so it will need to be someone who can develop a STRONG relationship built with the community. X's and O's are crucial for sure but you better get those players, from youth up, wanting to be Scott Eagles. This job is EXTREMELY attractive so the AD needs to ensure he gets it right. I would look not only locally but regionally for someone who's not only a good coach but is a strong community relations person as well. Good luck on the search!