Louisville's Next Football Coach Discussion

Jumper_Dad

Who's the leader?

Who would be a reach hire but a grand slam?

Who would you in no way want them to hire?

How long will it take until a coach is named?

There are tons of other questions as well.

I thought one thread just to focus on the coaching hire would be prudent and leave the bobby talk in the other thread.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interviews won’t start until November 26th. It’s Jeff Brohms job if he wants it. I don’t think anyone would really debate that. If for whatever reason UL and Brohm don’t work out, that’s where it will get interesting. Calls I think Louisville will make:

- Les Miles

- Lane Kiffin

- Dino Babers

- Matt Campbell

- Ryan Day

Kiffin and Leach are non-starters in my book. Don't care how successful they might be, whoever UofL hires has to have a stellar reputation off the field and no drama surrounding them.

I would like someone with head coaching experience, preferably in a P5 setting. Takes a bit of the guesswork out of things. You may lose a candidate with a higher upside, but you take away some of the huge downsides. UofL can afford to make a decent / good hire here. They cannot afford to make a bad / terrible hire here.

Brohm, Babers and Strong should all get looks.

There are rumors that Kiffen would leave FAU for an OC position. For Louisville to be successful they are gonna have to recruit Florida. For all the love for Brohm, Purdue isn't exactly killing it this year. I would go Campbell, feel out Matt Rule at Baylor, Day and Brohm.

Kiffin and Leach are non-starters in my book. Don't care how successful they might be, whoever UofL hires has to have a stellar reputation off the field and no drama surrounding them.

I would like someone with head coaching experience, preferably in a P5 setting. Takes a bit of the guesswork out of things. You may lose a candidate with a higher upside, but you take away some of the huge downsides. UofL can afford to make a decent / good hire here. They cannot afford to make a bad / terrible hire here.

Brohm, Babers and Strong should all get looks.

Your first paragraph significantly contradicts your last one. Strong cannot come back to Louisville.

Will Neal Brown be considered? Should he be?

I feel like he’s already in position to take a really solid SEC job if he wants it, which it seems he does, but I’d be a huge fan of bringing in Neal Brown. Don’t see Louisville as necessarily on his wish list.

There are rumors that Kiffen would leave FAU for an OC position. For Louisville to be successful they are gonna have to recruit Florida. For all the love for Brohm, Purdue isn't exactly killing it this year. I would go Campbell, feel out Matt Rule at Baylor, Day and Brohm.

In Strong’s second year, Louisville lost to Marshall and Florida International. Like Strong, Brohm is picking up the pieces after a period where the guy that was supposed to be driving the program basically steered it into the side of a mountain. I’m not concerned about the way Purdue is looking right now so much as I’m interested in the speed with which he’s made them competitive again.

I feel like he’s already in position to take a really solid SEC job if he wants it, which it seems he does, but I’d be a huge fan of bringing in Neal Brown. Don’t see Louisville as necessarily on his wish list.

Yeah I think Brown is eyeing an SEC gig at the end of the year.

In Strong’s second year, Louisville lost to Marshall and Florida International. Like Strong, Brohm is picking up the pieces after a period where the guy that was supposed to be driving the program basically steered it into the side of a mountain. I’m not concerned about the way Purdue is looking right now so much as I’m interested in the speed with which he’s made them competitive again.

Finally someone who is capable of viewing what Brohm is doing at Purdue through the proper lense.

Finally someone who is capable of viewing what Brohm is doing at Purdue through the proper lense.

I don't know what lens that would be. He has a two year mediocre record in one of the worst divisions in Power 5 football. Yes, he beat Ohio State, in the same year that he loss to Eastern Michigan. He may end up being a great coach at Louisville, but there is little evidence to suggest that other than he is one of their own. Winning at Western Ky is a lot different than winning at Louisville.

Should Brohm have lost so badly to Minnesota? No, but should he have beaten Ohio State the way he did? Also no.

One game either way doesn’t tell the story of what a coach is building. So much of putting together a college football program is building momentum on the field and turning that into recruiting momentum which feeds back into the on-field play. Brohm is already doing that.

I thought I read somewhere that Hazell was bringing in recruiting classes ranked in the 60s and 70s. Brohm is slated to bring a top 25 recruiting class to PURDUE. That’s almost instantly transformative.

I don’t know if Brohm will say yes, but the speed of that build is exactly why I’m hoping he does.