Why Not Place Kick Instead of a Punt?

cshs81

Wow that's a really interesting article. I would love to see a team line up like a kickoff only it's a field goal attempt.

That's not exactly what they're talking about here. They're talking about lining up in a FIELD GOAL FORMATION and kicking it to go out of bounds deep in the opponent's territory so to be used like a COFFIN-CORNER PUNT.

Our teams, however, HAVE done what you requested (line up like a kickoff that is actually a field goal attempt). You can do that after any FAIR-CAUGHT KICK or PUNT. You get the advantage of having a 10-yard cushion and NO RUSH, plus your kicker can place the ball on a KICKOFF TEE as opposed to having to have a holder and a snapper. Our kicker made two of these in one game last year (also, a good thing to do when you're dominant and your younger kids are going to lose precious reps due to that running clock).

Interesting. A FG has a better chance of being blocked. JUst one negative to this idea.

This is somewhat true and enough of a reason to keep a coach from being willing to do it in a game that's in doubt.

And even though the snap takes place at a shorter distance, there is also a larger margin of error between the snapper snapping to a HOLDER who must cleanly catch AND PLACE the ball correctly on the tee (not as simple a thing as people think) and then have something else be done by ANOTHER player, compared to just ONE PLAYER (the punter) having to catch it then kick it.

Now, let's say your only punter is a player with terrible hands; then it might make more sense to have the "catcher" of the snap be one of your best receivers and let your kicker do the work of the punter.

Also, his theory is a little flawed in that one of the "upsides" of it is that the opposing team isn't likely to have returners back on a FG attempt. This is probably true IF the distance is such that the defense actually thinks it might be an attempt to score points, but otherwise, I'd say a smart defensive coach would simply line up three deep returners to cover all the angles, rush with TWO hard from the outside to "force" the ball to be kicked and prevent against a sweep/pass fake, have THREE maintain contact with the O-Line, and keep the other THREE at linebacker level to protect against a fake. If the distance to gain is FAR, you could just assume they will NOT fake and send more of your defensive guys.

On the other hand, it would be GREAT to have a team automatically put 1 or 2 returners deep every time you line up for ANY field goal attempt...that would take 2 potential rushers out of the equation.

All this being said, any coach at ANY level would do well to buy and commit to memory ALL of John T. Reed's books on football strategy (especially YOUTH coaches pertaining to a "common-sense" approach to youth offense/defense...and coaches at ANY level pertaining to CLOCK MANAGEMENT). Due to his background as a player and coach at MANY different levels of football along with his ability to analyze statistics in an almost "professorial" way (he's Ivy League educated) gives him the ability to synthesize often unconventional, but very well-thought-out theories of how to coach in game situations.

My question is, Do most officials know this rule? I would think most of them would enforce it like the college rule, and give the defensive team the ball at the previous L.O.S.

That's pretty funny. So is the "interesting" article.

Did you happen to pick up on the fact that the author of this manifesto is a freshman coach?

"My 2004 freshman high school football team (Monte Vista of Danville, CA) did this. We started to do it in 2005, but were ordered to stop by the varsity head coach..."

Sounds to me like this young coach got his self-esteem stepped on when the old man told him how wacky his scheme is and to focus on teaching the kids how to block and tackle. Now he's just looking for anybody willing to listen.

offside

That's pretty funny. So is the "interesting" article.

Did you happen to pick up on the fact that the author of this manifesto is a freshman coach?

"My 2004 freshman high school football team (Monte Vista of Danville, CA) did this. We started to do it in 2005, but were ordered to stop by the varsity head coach..."

Sounds to me like this young coach got his self-esteem stepped on when the old man told him how wacky his scheme is and to focus on teaching the kids how to block and tackle. Now he's just looking for anybody willing to listen.

offside

No he is not a young coach. He is a West Point grad and Harvard MBA grad.

Who has written about six very good football coaching books and one

clock management book. The clock management book should be read and

study by every coach at all levels including NFL, and kept on the sidelines

for brush ups during games.

Not to mention he is also a multi-million dollar real estate investor.

Also, wrote several good books on real estate investing and property management.

Wow! that almost sounds like a sales pitch for the guy.LOL.

Just tring to point out that he has more credibility than one might think.

I can't remember who it was, but in the NFL this year a team made a fair catch around mid field at the end of the game on a punt against the Rams and was preparing to kick a field goal off of a tee just like a kick off. There had been a penalty though, and when the Rams coach saw what the other team was going to try he accepted a penalty that he had initially declined to keep them from having a chance to kick it. I know this is a little different from punting from a filed goal position that everyone is talking about, but he was going to have an unimpeeded kick off of a tee to win the game. Does anybody remember this?

That happened once last season in the NFL, and Pikeville did it TWICE in one game last year. See Coach J's post #4 above.

I had never heard of the rule until Pikeville used it last season. I think it is called the Fair Catch Kick rule. It is very interesting.