Why Not Place Kick Instead of a Punt?

cshs81

Sounds to me like this young coach got his self-esteem stepped on when the old man told him how wacky his scheme is and to focus on teaching the kids how to block and tackle. Now he's just looking for anybody willing to listen.

Not quite.

No he is not a young coach. He is a West Point grad and Harvard MBA grad.

Who has written about six very good football coaching books and one

clock management book.

Just tring to point out that he has more credibility than one might think.

Amen!

I'm also almost positive that he was a DIVISION-1 COLLEGE COACH for a time.

He decided to forego what could've been a much more "glorious" and possibly lucrative position on a big stage to go into YOUTH league coaching (which he did before he was ever a freshman coach) so he could stay around the game but not be away from his home and family over 100 hours a week...definitely the kind of decision that should cause us to place him on a PEDESTAL rather than denigrate his credentials.

He definitely has some "out-there" theories about the game and some that might work better in theory than on the field at the highest levels than he suggests, but his "think outside the box" ideas make a LOT of sense once you see his research methodology (his ideas are based on research of YEARS of actual gameplay results for a period of YEARS at all levels from high school through pro.

...remember, the Pro-I formation was ridiculed by "old-schoolers" and thought to be a "gimmick" back when everybody was in a full-house backfield.

A few years ago Franklin-Simpson's punter was injured for a game with Logan County. The Wildcats lined up in FG formation from somewhere around their own 15 yard line.

About a 102 yard FG attempt. It worked great. Logan had no one back so the kick just went forever. Flipped the field.

Interesting. A FG has a better chance of being blocked. JUst one negative to this idea.

Not necessarily, if you are attempting to make the FG you are 7 yds from

the line of scrimmage. If you are going to do it like a punt move them back

10 to 12 yards, this would make it harder to block.

NewCath used this last night, pinned Beechwood down on the 5 yard line.

Interesting play, I heard this on the webcast....the ball didn't go into the end zone because of backspin. Announcers said ball hit on the 3 yd. line and sucked back to the 7 yd line. None of the players knew what to do, so a Bwood lineman fell on the ball.

Interesting play, I heard this on the webcast....the ball didn't go into the end zone because of backspin. Announcers said ball hit on the 3 yd. line and sucked back to the 7 yd line. None of the players knew what to do, so a Bwood lineman fell on the ball.

I was at the game and was actually telling someone about this thread right before the kick. I said if the ball doesnt make it into the endzone they could use this as a punt. Sure enough it happened.