July 20, 20188 yr I have never understood why people thought that being pro-life and being in support of the death penalty are inconsistent or hypocritical. I am pro life because I do not want innocent people should die. I am in support of the death penalty because I do not want innocent people to die. People, I think all of them, that get put to death are guilty of killing an innocent person. So no one who has been executed was ever innocent?
July 20, 20188 yr Author So no one who has been executed was ever innocent? I think there are some well documented cases of innocent people being found wrongly convicted and put to death. But I can't cite and actual case. Then of course there is Jesus.
July 20, 20188 yr I think there are some well documented cases of innocent people being found wrongly convicted and put to death. But I can't cite and actual case. Then of course there is Jesus. This is where I get hung up on it. Innocent people have been killed - 100%. I don't know if that includes through the modern American court system or not, but throughout time, governments have taken life when it was not warranted. Is that OK? It seems like it can't be OK. So, then are we saying... The death penalty is allowed as long as it went through the American court system? Seems arrogant on our part to think so highly of our process to allow for the decision of life, but for a third world country, they can't do it because they will get in wrong.
July 20, 20188 yr I would walk it through this way: 1) Does the Bible allow for the taking of life as punishment for certain crimes? I believe the answer is yes, and this includes being under NT grace and not just reserved for OT Mosaic law. 2) Does the Bible allow for man to define laws that have authority over the people? I believe yes. The Bible paints a picture of structure and order. This includes a hierarchy within the human race. Yes, we are all equal, but the Bible acknowledges a relationship between Employee/Employer, Servant/Master, Parent/child, government/citizen - where there is recognition of authority - not inequality, but authority. 3) Does that allow for the Death Penalty? yes 4) Do I think we should have the death penalty? No. it's just not that effective of a deterrent. Executions are carried out so rarely that they really have no impact on crime reduction. the cost, time, and emotional investment for the victims family are not worth it. Plus, it is a divisive issue that really isn't worth arguing over. There is just not enough gain in winning or losing this one. so, while I think it is allowed, I wouldn't argue for it.
July 20, 20188 yr So no one who has been executed was ever innocent? I've often wondered this myself. While I'm sure there may have been isolated cases where a person was put to death but did not commit that particular crime, but my guess is they also had a laundry list of other convictions, history of violent crimes, etc.
July 24, 20188 yr My stance on DP and abortion has done a 180 in my life. I’m against the death penalty. I guess my thoughts on abortion are for a different thread.
August 2, 20188 yr The Pope just came out and declared the death penalty "inadmissible" in all cases.
August 2, 20188 yr The Pope just came out and declared the death penalty "inadmissible" in all cases. I, for one, am lock-step with him on this.
August 2, 20188 yr Author Also, I do not think it is wrong for someone to be against the death penalty; however if someone were to suggest that the Bible condemns or forbids the government from using that level of capital punishment, then I think that indeed is wrong.
August 2, 20188 yr Also, I do not think it is wrong for someone to be against the death penalty; however if someone were to suggest that the Bible condemns or forbids the government from using that level of capital punishment, then I think that indeed is wrong. Just ignore John 8 then? That crowd was acting on behalf of the Law of Moses.
August 3, 20188 yr Author Just ignore John 8 then? That crowd was acting on behalf of the Law of Moses. Excellent response. But I think there are a couple of points when reading the verses. In verse six it says that the Pharisees were attempting to trap Jesus in order to accuse him. If Jesus said "Kill her!" they could accuse him of being violent and if he said "Let her go" then he would be accused of breaking the the law. The issue in my mind is there claim that the Law of Moses requires her to be stoned. No where in the Bible does it say a woman caught in adultery has to be stoned. It does say she has to be executed, but there has to be multiple witnesses cathcing her in the act and their has to be a trial. Also, the man she was committing adultery with also has to be held accountable. I love you post though. I was not prepared for it and it caught me off guard.
August 3, 20188 yr Also, I do not think it is wrong for someone to be against the death penalty; however if someone were to suggest that the Bible condemns or forbids the government from using that level of capital punishment, then I think that indeed is wrong. Agreed.
August 3, 20188 yr The Pope just came out and declared the death penalty "inadmissible" in all cases. Death Penalty Still Permissible For People Who Drive Slowly In The Left Lane, Pope Francis Clarifies VATICAN CITY—Following his recent announcement that the Catholic Church no longer supports the use of the death penalty, Pope Francis clarified that it may still be applied to slow left-lane drivers. “It almost goes without saying,” the leader of the Church commented. Whereas prior Church teaching allowed the death penalty in certain cases, the Catechism now teaches that the punishment is always impermissible. “Except,” said a Vatican spokesman, “for those reprobate souls who just hang out in the left lane as if nobody else has anywhere to be.”
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.