Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Death penalty

Featured Replies

Then there is the example of the Hebrew slaves. Moses led a full revolt and overthrow of the Egyptians. It seems not as clear when local government's are to be given authority when viewing it threw that example.

  • Replies 57
  • Views 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Church doesn’t support equivocation, correct ?

 

Are you referring to the murders of babies (abortion ) being defined differently than when an adult with a gun kills someone.

or me being anti abortion versus pro life?

When considering whether earthly government's hold any authority, I'd add Jesus's example of, giving to Ceaser what belongs to Ceaser and give to God what belongs to God.

 

The Roman empire was a pagan nation spreading terror throughout the ancient world, yet Jesus recognized their earthly authority. Even His trial and crucifixion were examples of subjugating to the local authority.

 

The Romans also allowed Hebrew communities to self-govern by Hebrew laws. When the Pharisees brought the adulteress into the temple courts and said Mosaic law demanded her to be stoned to death, he challenged the punishment...both challenging what had been the local government's righteous law, and capital punishment.

Are you referring to the murders of babies (abortion ) being defined differently than when an adult with a gun kills someone.

or me being anti abortion versus pro life?

 

I am saying the Church looks at abortion and putting a criminal to death as being the same, right?

I am saying the Church looks at abortion and putting a criminal to death as being the same, right?

 

I’m Not 100% sure on where they stand on the death penalty. I know where they stand on abortion though. I’ll check the messenger next week to see if they commented on the execution.

I’m Not 100% sure on where they stand on the death penalty. I know where they stand on abortion though. I’ll check the messenger next week to see if they commented on the execution.

@nkypete posted the Catholic stance on capital punishment up in post #6.

 

And as a little commentary, the current US prison system virtually rules out any circumstances where there are no means to protect society from an individual.

As a Catholic, that person chose to take another's life. He knew the rules and knew the consequences. I'm OK with him getting executed. Just wish we didn't have to pay for all of those years he was incarcerated.

 

For what it's worth, study after study after study has shown that an execution costs more than incarcerating someone for life. The appeals process is incredibly costly.

For what it's worth, study after study after study has shown that an execution costs more than incarcerating someone for life. The appeals process is incredibly costly.

 

Depends on how you spin it. The appeals process is costly for those with life sentences as well. I've heard a ridiculous % of court cases are appeals. Silly that a man is in jail 30 years prior to execution.

Let's stick to the moral delima, not the issues with the process.

And while we are at it No Politics.

It's easier for Catholics to be human and rationalize our inconsistency in regards to being anti-abortion and pro-DP than to be consistent being truly pro-life.

 

I'm certainly guilty of this inconsistency or hypocrisy.

  • Author

I have never understood why people thought that being pro-life and being in support of the death penalty are inconsistent or hypocritical.

 

I am pro life because I do not want innocent people should die. I am in support of the death penalty because I do not want innocent people to die. People, I think all of them, that get put to death are guilty of killing an innocent person.

I have never understood why people thought that being pro-life and being in support of the death penalty are inconsistent or hypocritical.

 

I am pro life because I do not want innocent people should die. I am in support of the death penalty because I do not want innocent people to die. People, I think all of them, that get put to death are guilty of killing an innocent person.

 

You just qualified your statement there when you said you don't want innocent people to die. So then wouldn't that make you pro innocent life rather than pro ALL life?

I have never understood why people thought that being pro-life and being in support of the death penalty are inconsistent or hypocritical.

 

I am pro life because I do not want innocent people should die. I am in support of the death penalty because I do not want innocent people to die. People, I think all of them, that get put to death are guilty of killing an innocent person.

 

I guess you can call that consistency but it's not what most religions believe. Most religions believe that it is not man's role to end the life of anyone. Not an unborn child. Not a murderer. Not the unborn child conceived via rape. Not ANY reason.

  • Author
So then wouldn't that make you pro innocent life rather than pro ALL life?

 

I guess. I just always thought that "pro-life" was a term used specifically in the abortion debate.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.