1st -12th grades all year around (School)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Discussion has been around for a while. Argument for it is that it helps the retention of studies for the kids.

Also a lot of kids get a chance to eat while at school which may not be offered in their home lives.

My question is why would they go 12 months? Go 3 years and out? Teachers need a break and so do students. What are u getting at?

Teachers need a break? Other professions do not?

Discussion has been around for a while. Argument for it is that it helps the retention of studies for the kids.

Also a lot of kids get a chance to eat while at school which may not be offered in their home lives.

These are legitimate arguments. Are there any examples of BGP folks who've worked in or had kids in a "year round" school setting? I'm intrigued but very inexperienced with anything other than no school in the summer.

The year round calendar would be the best for education. I would prefer the breaks throughout the year.

Also, FWIW, the number of days schools work is set a level that the state wants to pay. If the state would pay for a 240 day school calendar districts would go 240 days.

Not 3 months worth.

Are teachers paid during summer? I really don't know. What I do know is that they are grossly underpaid for what they do, especially nowadays. Many of them get summer jobs to supplement the time off teaching. Also, they spend much of the summer attending meetings and developing school curriculum. Add to all this that a lot of parents these days treat them like a babysitter, expecting them to raise their kids for them.

Teachers usually have the option of receiving paychecks throughout the summer or just getting it all in the middle of june.

Teachers also do not get paid before 7:30 or after 3-3:20 but arrive at 7 and sometimes stay till 6.