1st -12th grades all year around (School)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in school, we did "year round scheduling." In school for nine weeks, off for three. Three weeks in the fall, three weeks at Christmas, three weeks in the spring. Six weeks in the summer. I enjoyed it.

When I was in school, we did "year round scheduling." In school for nine weeks, off for three. Three weeks in the fall, three weeks at Christmas, three weeks in the spring. Six weeks in the summer. I enjoyed it.

I believe your school still does this.

No. Students and teachers need a break.

If schools want to adjust their calendars to spread breaks around, as opposed to a 2 month or so summer break, that would be fine.

I'm a teacher. Breaks throughout the year would be better in my opinion. If we are talking about going more days, I'm down for that too, but I'll take my money please.

In Las Vegas, many elementary schools go year round. They go for roughly 9 weeks, then 2 weeks off, then 9,2, 2 weeks for Christmas, 9,2,9,6 weeks off for summer.

It was actually pretty nice.

If you want schools to go longer, then you are going to have to pay teachers more since they will be contracted for more days. It's really that simple.

Actually, year round schooling does go more days than traditional scheduling. Its just formatted different.

I’m all for that type of schedule. I wish more school districts did this. The old model that we are use to was created in part due to families needing labor during the summer.

I had to read all the posts to see if this was mentioned, and it was not:

Studies show that the disparity between high achievers and low achievers, and those particularly from lower socio-economic situations, is greater at the beginning of the school year at all age levels. Thus the logic is that year-around school would serve as a benefit to those who do not have home environments which foster educational development during the summer, and the end result would be a more level playing field and particularly a benefit to those historical low-achievers.