1st -12th grades all year around (School)

Teachers usually have the option of receiving paychecks throughout the summer or just getting it all in the middle of june.

Teachers also do not get paid before 7:30 or after 3-3:20 but arrive at 7 and sometimes stay till 6.

Are most teachers hourly or salary?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen some year round schedules that I liked and some I didn't.

One I saw started the first of September with one week off in October, a week off for Thanksgiving, 3 weeks off for Christmas, 2 weeks off in April, one week off at memorial day, week of at 4th of July and all of August off.

Teachers do not get off for 3 months.

They do get that much time off when you add everything up (roughly, at least; but as was mentioned, many work more than required). But they also technically don’t get paid for their time off.

Your right, my wife will have 3 months and a week this year off.

It's great that she doesn't have to do any professional development or trainings over the summer. Does she also only ever work her contracted hours?

On contrast, I can't make any commitments to travel anywhere in June. I have too many days of professional development and training. I also work, on average, 12 hours extra per week, outside on my contracted time. That doesn't include any of the times I need to go to school and work on Saturdays. I'm one of many teachers in my school that do this.

I do get July off (at least as of right now). I consider that my comp time for the work that I put in beyond my contract. Then when August hits, its several days of non-contract time and more PD, before the actual start of school.

To the main point here, the school calendar should be put in place to benefit the education of students, not to satisfy those that feel that teachers have some sort of unfair situation.

I’m obviously in the boat that teaching is a very difficult job that is very under appreciated and arguably underpaid. However, any person who is working hard to get ahead in their career works over their “contracted hours”. Working late or on weekends isn’t unique to teaching.

I’m obviously in the boat that teaching is a very difficult job that is very under appreciated and arguably underpaid. However, any person who is working hard to get ahead in their career works over their “contracted hours”. Working late or on weekends isn’t unique to teaching.
Did anyone say that it was unique to teaching?

However, it isn't done to "get ahead in our careers." It's simply what is required to do a good job as a teacher. That hasn't changed in my 22 years of being a teacher, nor is it done to advance my position. That's not how the profession works.

It's great that she doesn't have to do any professional development or trainings over the summer. Does she also only ever work her contracted hours?

On contrast, I can't make any commitments to travel anywhere in June. I have too many days of professional development and training. I also work, on average, 12 hours extra per week, outside on my contracted time. That doesn't include any of the times I need to go to school and work on Saturdays. I'm one of many teachers in my school that do this.

I do get July off (at least as of right now). I consider that my comp time for the work that I put in beyond my contract. Then when August hits, its several days of non-contract time and more PD, before the actual start of school.

To the main point here, the school calendar should be put in place to benefit the education of students, not to satisfy those that feel that teachers have some sort of unfair situation.

I guess I dont understand why you are doing so many PD at the end of the year. She gets all hers done in the 10 day window before school starts, then has 1 mandatory day she has as a PD day in the fall.

I've seen some year round schedules that I liked and some I didn't.

One I saw started the first of September with one week off in October, a week off for Thanksgiving, 3 weeks off for Christmas, 2 weeks off in April, one week off at memorial day, week of at 4th of July and all of August off.

That sounds like a good schedule. I heard somewhere that the original reason that kids were off all summer was because they were needed to work family farms in the summer. That doesn’t seem to be the case anymore.

I guess I dont understand why you are doing so many PD at the end of the year. She gets all hers done in the 10 day window before school starts, then has 1 mandatory day she has as a PD day in the fall.

Sounds like you are referring to school-based PD. I have some of those at the end of this year and some at the beginning of next. In addition to that, there are off-site AP and PLC trainings and district curriculum committee workshops that I attend. Every teacher I know either does this, teaches summer school or is taking masters classes.

You didn't answer the question that I asked in my previous post.