Open Job: Lincoln County

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be hard to find a coach to take on a district like that with the past records that Lincoln has had. What names have been associated with this job?

Agreed. I have heard nothing. Not many kids out during spring ball activities either.

I’ve heard the same. I heard he was coming to Boyle County as a teacher and coach. If true this would mean the last two Lincoln County head coaches left Lincoln County to become assistants at Boyle County. Add in Larry French who left the Lincoln County head coaching job to become the head coach at Boyle County and that makes it the last three head coaches at Lincoln County left for Boyle County.
I remember French leaving to be Head Coach at BC, now Travis will be an assistant, who is the other Head Coach from LC that became an assistant coach at BC in the last 10 years

I remember French leaving to be Head Coach at BC, now Travis will be an assistant, who is the other Head Coach from LC that became an assistant coach at BC in the last 10 years

Mike Settles. He took over after French as the head coach at Lincoln County.

I didn't see the job open on the KHSAA website. Are they going to hire in house? Will they have many to choose from, with it being late in the year?

I don’t know. I can’t imagine anyone on staff they’d hire. I also can’t imagine their is much interest, given the lack of support for the program, and the new district in 2019. Plus, it being so late to hire for coaches in the school.

I don’t know. I can’t imagine anyone on staff they’d hire. I also can’t imagine their is much interest, given the lack of support for the program, and the new district in 2019. Plus, it being so late to hire for coaches in the school.

I’m thinking the same thing. If they are hoping to keep the AD and head job together then they need to come up with some cash to garner any real interest.

I’m sure both of those things would be frowned upon and not just there, but it would be in most areas in our state. However in Texas, Georgia, Alabama, Etc those two jobs with some great pay are often tied together.

Lack of support?

From the outside looking in it has always seemed like Lincoln was ok with a football program that was just that OK but prided itself in being good at basketball. Like I said this si from the outside looking in and that may not be the case but this is where most people get this idea of lack of support from. One other issue here is how big this very rural county is and with the distance being great in some areas from the school I have heard that some families have trouble getting home from football so to alleviate that they just dont play. Which doesn't have anything to do with support just throwing out why this is a difficult job to undertake.

Lack of support?

From the outside looking in it has always seemed like Lincoln was ok with a football program that was just that OK but prided itself in being good at basketball. Like I said this is from the outside looking in and that may not be the case but this is where most people get this idea of lack of support from. One other issue here is how big this very rural county is and with the distance being great in some areas from the school I have heard that some families have trouble getting home from football so to alleviate that they just dont play. Which doesn't have anything to do with support just throwing out why this is a difficult job to undertake. I want to say also that I find that Settles and Leffew are good coaches and showed improvement while they were head coaches there so I am in no way saying that they were bad for Lincoln.

From the outside looking in it has always seemed like Lincoln was ok with a football program that was just that OK but prided itself in being good at basketball. Like I said this si from the outside looking in and that may not be the case but this is where most people get this idea of lack of support from. One other issue here is how big this very rural county is and with the distance being great in some areas from the school I have heard that some families have trouble getting home from football so to alleviate that they just dont play. Which doesn't have anything to do with support just throwing out why this is a difficult job to undertake.

First, support has typically been strong from the fans. The problem is they've struggled for such a long period of time, right at a time when attendance has waned at all high school events, that it appears people aren't interested.

Second, regarding the administration, I can't speak for anyone in charge because I don't really known any of them. I do know their football hires from the time Marty Jaggers left have all made sense:

1. Tim Estes, Lincoln County native, former assistant who had also been a head coach at Webster County

2. Rob Lucas, Lincoln County native, former assistant who had no success but has since been great at Somerset

3. Larry French, long time successful coach who gave Lincoln four good years then went on to Boyle County (a move every coach would make) and then Southwestern

4. Mike Settles, had been very good as a head coach at Ohio County and Bullitt East but for whatever reason it just didn't happen at Lincoln

5. Travis Leffew, a known name who had also been an assistant but was also the athletic director, double duty that's pretty tough for a football coach to pull anymore

Finally, your point regarding rural size of the county is true. I've spoken with several coaches familiar with Lincoln who say that while the school enrollment might be 5A (moving to 4A) in reality you're mostly pulling kids from Stanford (a small town) and then a few from the rural areas. They've had good county players in the past (Jeremy Simpson was from Crab Orchard, Ryan Young was from Waynesburg) but you can't expect much depth from those areas.