12th Region 2018/2019 discussion

I feel like Wayne County, Lincoln County and Danville should have the strongest teams. As I mentioned in the Mercer County thread I do feel like this upcoming year is the most wide open the 12th Region has been in a while. There is no true clear cut favorite IMO. Anything can and will happen.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like Wayne County, Lincoln County and Danville should have the strongest teams. As I mentioned in the Mercer County thread I do feel like this upcoming year is the most wide open the 12th Region has been in a while. There is no true clear cut favorite IMO. Anything can and will happen.

I think the value of Phillips to Lincoln's team this past season may be overlooked. He controlled the rock virtually every possession, so the young players will have to step up to shoulder that load. Also, they lost another guard in Baird who was a good piece for them the majority of the season to Casey Co.

I think the value of Phillips to Lincoln's team this past season may be overlooked. He controlled the rock virtually every possession, so the young players will have to step up to shoulder that load. Also, they lost another guard in Baird who was a good piece for them the majority of the season to Casey Co.

I expect Jaxon Smith to take a big leap next season. I think Elijah Frye is their most underrated player and is more than capable of shouldering the scoring load for them. Baylor Mattingly is having a strong spring. Blake Smith and Bryson Yaden will be back along with Darius Napier and I still haven’t mentioned Riley Bodner. I think their returning pieces mixed in with Jeff Jackson’s coaching is going to be a problem for folks in the 12th next season. They are returning more or as much varsity experience than anyone in the region. That’s a problem for the 12th.

Hell, the 45th District is going to be more of a beast next year than it was this year. Glad I only have to spectate now and don’t have anything invested. :lol2:

I expect Jaxon Smith to take a big leap next season. I think Elijah Frye is their most underrated player and is more than capable of shouldering the scoring load for them. Baylor Mattingly is having a strong spring. Blake Smith and Bryson Yaden will be back along with Darius Napier and I still haven’t mentioned Riley Bodner. I think their returning pieces mixed in with Jeff Jackson’s coaching is going to be a problem for folks in the 12th next season. They are returning more or as much varsity experience than anyone in the region. That’s a problem for the 12th.

Hell, the 45th District is going to be more of a beast next year than it was this year. Glad I only have to spectate now and don’t have anything invested. :lol2:

So you think they lose their leading scorer, return one player in double figures, were 13-18 last year and will jump up as a contender? They are always tough and I am like you I don't see a clear cut favorite in the 12th. Boyle can definitly be there in the mix. They have a good junior class to be. Pulaski will still be a good team also even with losing Fitz and Butt.

So you think they lose their leading scorer, return one player in double figures, were 13-18 last year and will jump up as a contender? They are always tough and I am like you I don't see a clear cut favorite in the 12th. Boyle can definitly be there in the mix. They have a good junior class to be. Pulaski will still be a good team also even with losing Fitz and Butt.

Yes. Other than Wayne County there isn’t a team that returns as much quality experience as Lincoln County. Elijah Frye can create his own shot, Jaxon Smith has a full year under his belt as a starter. Riley Bodner is likely the tallest post player in the region. Blake Smith can shoot. Darius Napier plays outstanding defense and is a superb glue guy and Bryson Yaden brings the grit, toughness and leadership. Baylor Mattingly is continuing to have a strong offseason. Yes. Folks better keep an eye on Lincoln County. I’ve seen this movie many times.

Boyle County should be in the mix. Reese Smith will easily be one of the top 5 players in the region and my rough estimate says that he should hit 1K points for his career sometime next season. Grant Hotchkiss will be a steady hand for them and I wouldn’t be surprised to see a freshman or two getting some playing time for them.

I don’t know much about Pulaski County other than they lose Steven, Danny and Hagen Elmore. That’s a whole lot of scoring and experience. Other than Colton Fraley they haven’t shown anyone much of their future so who knows what they have but I’ll be shocked if they are better than Wayne County, Lincoln County and Danville.

There are just way too many unknowns.

Southwestern loses 6 seniors.

West Jessamine loses 7 seniors.

Somerset loses 7 seniors.

Mercer County loses Mr. Basketball and Gunnar Gillis.

The 45th is going to be a gauntlet. All four teams will or should likely be ranked in the preseason top 10.

So yes, combining returning talent and stellar coaching leads me to believe that Lincoln County and Wayne County will be the top two teams in the region at the beginning of the season.

Yes. Other than Wayne County there isn’t a team that returns as much quality experience as Lincoln County. Elijah Frye can create his own shot, Jaxon Smith has a full year under his belt as a starter. Riley Bodner is likely the tallest post player in the region. Blake Smith can shoot. Darius Napier plays outstanding defense and is a superb glue guy and Bryson Yaden brings the grit, toughness and leadership. Baylor Mattingly is continuing to have a strong offseason. Yes. Folks better keep an eye on Lincoln County. I’ve seen this movie many times.

Boyle County should be in the mix. Reese Smith will easily be one of the top 5 players in the region and my rough estimate says that he should hit 1K points for his career sometime next season. Grant Hotchkiss will be a steady hand for them and I wouldn’t be surprised to see a freshman or two getting some playing time for them.

I don’t know much about Pulaski County other than they lose Steven, Danny and Hagen Elmore. That’s a whole lot of scoring and experience. Other than Colton Fraley they haven’t shown anyone much of their future so who knows what they have but I’ll be shocked if they are better than Wayne County, Lincoln County and Danville.

The 45th is going to be a gauntlet. All four teams will or should likely be ranked in the preseason top 10.

So yes, combining returning talent and stellar coaching leads me to believe that Lincoln County and Wayne County will be the top two teams in the region at the beginning of the season.

Pulaski has 3-4 juniors to be that will be good just haven't got much playing time due to the seniors above them.

It will be hard for Mercer losing Trevon. Gunnar was a big in the post with his rebounding but was Mercer's 5th leading scorer.

Somerset has a good group of Sophomores to be and will be a solid team.

It will be somewhat of a changing of the guard in the 12th region becuase multiple teams are losing key players that they relied on for multiple years.

Pulaski has 3-4 juniors to be that will be good just haven't got much playing time due to the seniors above them.

It will be hard for Mercer losing Trevon. Gunnar was a big in the post with his rebounding but was Mercer's 5th leading scorer.

Somerset has a good group of Sophomores to be and will be a solid team.

It will be somewhat of a changing of the guard in the 12th region becuase multiple teams are losing key players that they relied on for multiple years.

I’m interested in seeing how the unknowns play out. One thing is for sure is that the 12th will be a lot of fun to follow as always.

I’m with you on Frye. Like his game a lot.

Without looking it up, I would say No.

They won the district in 2011 in Matthew Yates last year with the team. He got the Ads to three straight region tournaments as well. Sadly, he wasn't given a lot of support and left for Frankfort and the Ads went through a region drought that lasted up until this year. They've last won the region in 1990, so it has been ages for that. The JV team had lots of talent this year.

Without looking it up, I would say No.

Boyle, Danville and Lincoln have been in the 45th together the past 36 seasons, dating back to 1982-83:

Winner:

Boyle 14

Lincoln 11

Danville 9

Runner up:

Lincoln 14

Danville 10

Boyle 10

Did Not Advance to Region:

Danville 17

Boyle 12

Lincoln 11

You mean preseason top 10 for the 12th region right?

You mean preseason top 10 for the 12th region right?

Yes. I could definitely see all four teams ranked in the preseason top 10. However I don’t expect Boyle County to live up to their preseason ranking until January as most of their key players will be playing football.