How far can this Raceland team go?

UKCATSFAN

One thing I would like to see is a district that is more competitive. Our district usually has 2 or maybe 3 dominant teams. I know LCA as well as Raceland plays a tough predistrict schedule to prepare them for the playoffs. But once into district play the level of competition drops off. It's hard to prepare for those tough games when your playing the J.V. in the 3rd quarter and your Freshman in the 4th.
I think Raceland has been the #1 seed that has lost to a #4 seed the most times since they expanded the playoffs a decade ago. Part of that has always been the result of winning a weak district and playing the NKY district, whose competitiveness always prepared them better for the playoffs than Raceland's.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Raceland has been the #1 seed that has lost to a #4 seed the most times since they expanded the playoffs a decade ago. Part of that has always been the result of winning a weak district and playing the NKY district, whose competitiveness always prepared them better for the playoffs than Raceland's.

Right again. In order for Raceland to prepare they have to play the likes of Ashland,Greenup and other AAA teams. Which is good or bad. You may win or you may get your tail kicked. Oh, by the way I think it may have been expanded around '75.

I know that the last year Raceland team comparison was off the topic of this thread but I have to add my 2 cents on a couple of them. Tolliver was a very good player last year but in NO WAY was he all the Rams lost off of that team. Like tgf said, we lost 15 seniors from that team including practically our entire "O" and "D" line, TWO excellent recievers and corners plus more. Raceland football never has been or never will be one man team. Now as for my comments on the actual subject of this thread, refer to post #22.

Having been around football as long as old rambler I agree. Many years we have said, How can we replace what we lost? And next year the boys always step it up and fill the void. You have to remember, we are a small community of around 2500 people. I said 2500 people, not players. Probably 99.0% of the varsity are homebred and have played together since they were 6 or 8 years old. That's why Ram pride runs deep. In some cases your talking 2nd or 3rd generatiion Rams.

If Raceland goes to LCA for the District Championship - Raceland puts it out of reach in the third quarter. Raceland will win that game. If it is played. I have seen both play and have seen the film from their previous match up. Raceland is the better team. Raceland will need to play field position and not let LCA's kicking game hurt them and cause them to play on a long field all night.

But trust me - Pairs and Bath County will be doing everything possible to see that the LCA / Raceland match up does not take place.

Like I said 4 or 5 weeks ago when OldRambler and Cville misunderstood me - I'd rather see Bath Co. play LCA in the playoffs rather than Bath Co. play Raceland.

Good Luck to all! I'm behind whoever comes out of this District.:thumb:

Have seen LCA this year. Saw Raceland play late last year and remember which players they had coming back this year.

LCA has another good football team. They are well coached & have great team speed on the defensive side of the ball. I can assure you that this Raceland team is different from last years team. Several of last years players are playing different positions on this years squad so it is hard to judge this years team based on last years performance. Raceland also implemented a new defensive scheme into play last season and as we all know you do not learn a defense or offense in just one season, it takes several reps to make things work and for players to learn their assigments. The results from the changes can be seen on this years team. The addition of a couple new coaches have also made them better. Compare last seasons defensive numbers to this years numbers and you will see the improvement.

If Raceland goes to LCA for the District Championship - Raceland puts it out of reach in the third quarter. Raceland will win that game. If it is played. I have seen both play and have seen the film from their previous match up. Raceland is the better team. Raceland will need to play field position and not let LCA's kicking game hurt them and cause them to play on a long field all night.

But trust me - Pairs and Bath County will be doing everything possible to see that the LCA / Raceland match up does not take place.

Like I said 4 or 5 weeks ago when OldRambler and Cville misunderstood me - I'd rather see Bath Co. play LCA in the playoffs rather than Bath Co. play Raceland.

Good Luck to all! I'm behind whoever comes out of this District.:thumb:

:thumb: I understand your view.It is impossible to pick who would win the next LCA/ Raceland matchup. Both teams are very similar in their makeup. I as a fan would have to honestly give the nod to LCA. They have beaten us head to head and they were the better team on that night. I do like your prediction though.:lol:

:thumb: I understand your view.It is impossible to pick who would win the next LCA/ Raceland matchup. Both teams are very similar in their makeup. I as a fan would have to honestly give the nod to LCA. They have beaten us head to head and they were the better team on that night. I do like your prediction though.:lol:

Good post. Like I have always said. Take it game to game and give it your all.

:eek: Now the Raceland fans will be on you. But I, like you, don't think the Rams will win , UNLESS, they use the short passing game more. And I don't mean quick screens to the WR. I mean short passes over the middle.

Let me enlighten everyone who disagreed w/my comment regarding the watering of the field. Were any of you there in '84 to see the game. I was on the field. The only wet place in the entire county was the field. It had not rained there all week. We, BHS, were told by a neighboring school, who I know there is no love loss w/that they saw a fire truck that afternoon watering the field. Believe me, as wet and muddy as the field was it would have had to rain for the entire day up until kickoff. So, you can believe what you want but I was running in mud up to my ankles.

As for bringing the fire trucks to BHS, bring them, we have turf! I just hope both teams are still playing that week. I think BHS will be but I will again pick LCA to come out of that area playoff. I am rooting for Raceland, I would rather play at home rather than drive to Lex. As everyone has stated, the people of Raceland have always been friendly and our rival goes way back.

Go RAMS!

:eek: Now the Raceland fans will be on you. But I, like you, don't think the Rams will win , UNLESS, they use the short passing game more. And I don't mean quick screens to the WR. I mean short passes over the middle.

I think you misunderstood my post. I did not say the Rams will not win!! I said I would have to give the nod to LCA as being the favorite based on them beating us head to head.The game is not played on paper. We play one game at a time and it is anyones game to win. I personally think that if Raceland plays their complete game they are very capable of beating LCA. You can't make mistakes and must play 4 complete quarters to beat a team of the caliber of LCA. It will take a complete mix of running & passing, special teams play (which I think hurt us in the 1st matcup), and a super defensive effort. It can be done.

Let me enlighten everyone who disagreed w/my comment regarding the watering of the field. Were any of you there in '84 to see the game. I was on the field. The only wet place in the entire county was the field. It had not rained there all week. We, BHS, were told by a neighboring school, who I know there is no love loss w/that they saw a fire truck that afternoon watering the field. Believe me, as wet and muddy as the field was it would have had to rain for the entire day up until kickoff. So, you can believe what you want but I was running in mud up to my ankles.

As for bringing the fire trucks to BHS, bring them, we have turf! I just hope both teams are still playing that week. I think BHS will be but I will again pick LCA to come out of that area playoff. I am rooting for Raceland, I would rather play at home rather than drive to Lex. As everyone has stated, the people of Raceland have always been friendly and our rival goes way back.

Go RAMS!

I was at the game. The field was muddy, as it was most of the time back then. We do not have turf as you do but we now have the crumb rubber and the conditions are much better than in previous years. Your comment about hosing the field is hogwash!! and just as I expected hearsay!! I will take your advice and believe that the incident never happened. I have spoken with several that are close to the program (including coaches)and their is no one that has any knowledge of your accusations. IMO Case Closed!!! Back to the Topic.