School Shooting At Marshall County High School

So from reading online, the students at Marshall County High School have all virtually outed the shooter online - assuming they are outing the correct person.

I'm surprised that the authorities have acknowledged having the suspect in custody the whole time, and (I believe) have even gone so far as to state that he will be charged as an adult, but they're yet to identify him by name.

The kid being identified via social media (and I certainly hope for the sake of the kid being identified that they aren't wrong about the identification) is allegedly a sophomore at MCHS, and is a tuba player in the MCHS band. Many students have additionally acknowledged that he has been severely bullied and ridiculed since starting at the school. There are also rumors that the kid's dad died very recently, and the shooting was evidently his response to a Snapchat video of him crying about his father's death, which was then turned into the source of more teasing and ridicule.

Allegedly, yesterday morning the kid simply walked into the school lobby when school was letting in for the morning, pulled out a handgun (or handguns), and began shooting indiscriminately until he ran out of ammunition, at which point he dropped the guns and ran off. Then shortly thereafter he was stopped by police and non-violently taken into custody.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He ran into a safe room along with other students and tried to blend in. This was a weight room in the football stadium area. The janitor who helped students get in there realized he was in there and alerted authorities who came in and got him.

Once again a case of a child bullied to the point of responding using deadly force by mass shooting.

I think every school should have specific curriculum on Anti-Bullying and Appropriate Social Media use. These examples of mass shootings should be used to get their points across.

Therefore as a juvenile his identity is sealed.

Correct. they can not release his name. I guess the press could, but I am glad they are waiting and letting it happen the right way. Wait until he's charged as an adult and let authorities do it.

But I can't imagine how the kids that were there could be wrong. I am sure that's the guy.

Edited by True blue (and gold)
Rule 13

I'm sorry, but bullying isn't an excuse for this. It's unfortunate that he had to deal with that, but every kid that's bullied doesn't shoot up a school. He doesn't get a pass from me just because he was picked on.

While he shouldn't get a pass for it, it isn't as simple as "every kid that's bullied doesn't do this". The kid made a bad choice and he should be punished but sometimes the mind can only take so much. Some kids just suck it up and take it, some commit suicide, some become violent to others. You never know how someone will act when they reach their breaking point. If the stories that are coming out are true, a kid that's already picked on loses his dad only to have his emotions about that become more ammo to embarrass him and here we are.

My guess is if this kid stuck that gun in his mouth instead of shooting up the school we'd be calling for those that bullied him to be punished. Because he took it out on his classmates, he's a monster.

I'm not defending him by any means and again he needs to be punished. But if we are going to make an attempt to fix the issue with school shooting we can't just chalk up bullying to being a right of passage (not saying that's what you are doing).

While he shouldn't get a pass for it, it isn't as simple as "every kid that's bullied doesn't do this". The kid made a bad choice and he should be punished but sometimes the mind can only take so much. Some kids just suck it up and take it, some commit suicide, some become violent to others. You never know how someone will act when they reach their breaking point. If the stories that are coming out are true, a kid that's already picked on loses his dad only to have his emotions about that become more ammo to embarrass him and here we are.

My guess is if this kid stuck that gun in his mouth instead of shooting up the school we'd be calling for those that bullied him to be punished. Because he took it out on his classmates, he's a monster.

I'm not defending him by any means and again he needs to be punished. But if we are going to make an attempt to fix the issue with school shooting we can't just chalk up bullying to being a right of passage (not saying that's what you are doing).

Totally agree that bullying is a huge issue in our schools. With social media being as popular as it is, it's probably worse than its ever been. We do need to do EVERYTHING we can to fix it.

Totally agree that bullying is a huge issue in our schools. With social media being as popular as it is, it's probably worse than its ever been. We do need to do EVERYTHING we can to fix it.

It's amazing to me still to this day what some people will say to someone on social media that they would never say to that persons face. The gray line is how much policing schools can or even should do with social media.

It's amazing to me still to this day what some people will say to someone on social media that they would never say to that persons face. The gray line is how much policing schools can or even should do with social media.

Back when I was in school, AOL chat rooms were the social media. I can remember at least a few occasions when they were printed out and taken to school to turn in.

Absolutely true.

It's all wrong and never should happen, but the kids that are bullied are often ones that have other social, emotional, and family challenges. That's why they are often bullied in the first place. It's normally not the popular kids that have more things going for them.

I get tired of hearing people say that, "when I was in school I got bullied, but never shot anyone." That's great, but maybe you were not in the same emotional state as this person. Maybe you had more support, a better home, more stable environment. Maybe you had just learned how to deal with your issues and better processes things. Whatever it was, I am glad that worked for you, but that doesn't mean that every KID has that same ability. Many of these kids were victims long before they were suspects.

If my child was one of the innocent victims it would be gut wrenching, especially if they were not guilty of doing the bullying. I don't know that I could be as sympathetic, but I hate this not only for the victims but also for the young man.

Edited by True blue (and gold)
Rule 13

Good grief! Do we even know that the kids he shot were the ones that bullied him? For all we know, he shot kids that were being bullied, too.

Good grief! Do we even know that the kids he shot were the ones that bullied him? For all we know, he shot kids that were being bullied, too.
Good grief? Nice.

Where did I say he shot the kids that bullied him? My comments are in general terms. Who knows if the kid was even bullied. Maybe he was the bully.

Good grief? Nice.

Where did I say he shot the kids that bullied him? My comments are in general terms. Who knows if the kid was even bullied. Maybe he was the bully.

Per the paragraph I bolded, he didn't commit suicide. He killed two people and injured many more. He's no longer the victim. What "could have been" isn't reality.