Free Speech or Bad manners

Note from LBBC, I have had to change some of the wording and the quotes she used because they were word filter violations in BGP. I have underlined the words that I substituted for her words.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061017/NEWS01/610170350/1077/COL02

An early draft that Giovanni - who wasn't paid for her appearance - provided didn't include the lines that some found offensive. Giovanni couldn't be reached for comment Monday.

The final version of Giovanni's poem, written for the event and titled "I Am Cincinnati," referred to Ken Blackwell, the Republican candidate for Ohio governor, as a "son of a female dog" and alluded to him as a "political female that doesn't mind sleeping around[/b]," drawing gasps and applause from onlookers.

Laketa Cole wondered what all the fuss was about.

"It's freedom of speech," she said. "I was a little caught off guard, but are we having a problem with it because the comment was negative? She made a comment about (Cincinnati Mayor) Mark Mallory, and no one is saying anything about that." Giovanni's comments about Mallory were positive.

David Crowley was willing to give Giovanni a lot of latitude: "I thought it (the poem) was kind of boring up until that point. Was it appropriate? Poets have great license. Nothing was really hurt or damaged."

Chris Monzel called the performance "crass."

"I was shocked, (especially) when she talked about police officers shooting black men in the back. That is revisionist, and I thought it was a cheap shot," he said.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061017/EDIT01/610170307/1090

"Since when does artistic license allow for vulgarity at the grand opening of a community event?"

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061017/COL05/610170309/1009/EDIT

Giovanni's poem was titled "I am Cincinnati." It was not.

"I invited Nikki," said Bill Donabedian, managing director of Fountain Square. "I explained very clearly that the city had been through some tough times recently and we wanted something joyful and inspirational. She said that would be fine. I asked to see the draft and it was fine. I had no idea she was going to say that."

Donabedian, who spent six months planning the grand opening, said it broke his heart. "That was just a vicious attack on an individual that would not even be appropriate at a political event. Out of a 10-hour day, it was one minute, but it ruined the day for a lot of people."

When I got here 14 years ago, I heard the old joke attributed to Mark Twain about living in Cincinnati when the world ends, because it will get there 10 years late. I only heard the insult, not the compliment.

What makes Cincinnati great is the same thing some people don't like about it: It's a city that clings to its traditions and does not change frivolously.

I used to think that made Cincinnati too stuffy and stodgy - all the adjectives that describe a town that wears its necktie too tight. Maybe I've only lived here long enough to learn how much I don't know about Cincinnati, but I think I understand this much: In a world where time-honored values are as disposable as plastic spoons, the charm that makes people love Cincinnati and stay here is its valiant refusal to join the motley parade of shuffling "progress."

Personally, we have sacrificed respect and a nice quality of life for the protection of a warped freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech is freedom of speech. Greater Cincinatti doesn't want to look in the mirror as to why it didn't interview/background check this guy before putting him in the public eye.

I disagree with the "quality of life" comment. The quality of my life would be radically reduced if I were NOT able to say what I wanted to say, or made to feel threatened about what I might say, even if it were the most vulgar obscenity imaginable.

Again, we are balancing LAW versus PERSONAL BEHAVIOR. No mere words threaten us unless we allow them to. Ostracism might be the best way to deal with this guy, but no laws should be passed.

Freedom of speech is freedom of speech. Greater Cincinatti doesn't want to look in the mirror as to why it didn't interview/background check this guy before putting him in the public eye.

I disagree with the "quality of life" comment. The quality of my life would be radically reduced if I were NOT able to say what I wanted to say, or made to feel threatened about what I might say, even if it were the most vulgar obscenity imaginable.

Again, we are balancing LAW versus PERSONAL BEHAVIOR. No mere words threaten us unless we allow them to. Ostracism might be the best way to deal with this guy, but no laws should be passed.

SHE submitted a copy of the poem she was going to use on Monday. In that copy, the words she used on Saturday were different.

She gave them a copy and indicated, this is what I am going to read. ANd then didn't say what she indicated she was going to say.

SHE submitted a copy of the poem she was going to use on Monday. In that copy, the words she used on Saturday were different.

She gave them a copy and indicated, this is what I am going to read. ANd then didn't say what she indicated she was going to say.

I'm sorry, I took Giovanni like it was a male's name.

Yeah, that's bad. She needs to be blackballed, for sure.

However, I still hold to my free speech sentiment.

I'm sorry, I took Giovanni like it was a male's name.

Yeah, that's bad. She needs to be blackballed, for sure.

However, I still hold to my free speech sentiment.

So free speech is more important than rude, obnoxious or speech that serves no purpose but to inflame.

I am thinking of this incident. Fred Phelps. etc. Maybe a limit should be placed if you show a pattern, as in Fred Phelps, rather than an isolated incident.

It seems that too many times, people know that their behavior is wrong and they wrap themselves behind this right and defend it to act how ever they wish.

While I agree that freedom is important, I also think that when a country loses it's ability to civil in a public forum, it is on the downward slide of their importance in the world.