Free Speech or Bad manners

Maybe, but it's the law. It's the same one that protects a MadTV or Saturday Night Live or an editorial cartoonist who might parody a public official (say Bill Clinton, for example) or a famous person (say Lindsay Lohan).

A parody I believe is much different than what she did. In a parody, they don't refer to Lindsay Lohan as a derogatory female word. They don't just stand up there and call BC a vulgar term either.

It seems that when we abuse our rights/freedoms we should run the risk of losing them.

We need the "Loneseome Dove" times. Wasn't it Gus or Woodrow that said, "I can't tolerate rude behavior.":D

It seems that our country is more and more lowering the standards for our country because of the rights of a handful. We have lowered the standards by accepting the Fred Phelps and his protests of the world.

My view, you should not have your rights taken from you and you should expect them BUT you definitely should be able to lose them.

At no point when the subject is a public figure, which Blackwell is.

There is a limit but it is set so high that that I can see where you would say there isn't one. There have been several movie stars who have won lawsuits against the National Enquirer and other similar magazines for printing derogatory stories that the magazine(s) either knew to be false or made no attempt to assess the veracity of the story. The standard for a politician is even higher than movie stars but there is a limit there also.

A parody I believe is much different than what she did. In a parody, they don't refer to Lindsay Lohan as a derogatory female word. They don't just stand up there and call BC a vulgar term either.

It seems that when we abuse our rights/freedoms we should run the risk of losing them.

We need the "Loneseome Dove" times. Wasn't it Gus or Woodrow that said, "I can't tolerate rude behavior.":D

It seems that our country is more and more lowering the standards for our country because of the rights of a handful. We have lowered the standards by accepting the Fred Phelps and his protests of the world.

My view, you should not have your rights taken from you and you should expect them BUT you definitely should be able to lose them.

It seems to me that you are less concerned about the poet's attack on Blackwell than you are about the poet using a profanity. The courts look at her calling Blackwell an SOB the same way they would look at MadTV if they called Lohan bulimic or anorexic or Clinton a fat slob. All can be seen as derogatory.

Maybe, but it's the law. It's the same one that protects a MadTV or Saturday Night Live or an editorial cartoonist who might parody a public official (say Bill Clinton, for example) or a famous person (say Lindsay Lohan).

You are confusing "false light" defamation with slander. Slander is lying. You cannot lie publicly about someone, even if they are a public figure. However, you can portray public figures in a false light, without being sued for defamation, whereas if you did that to a non-public figure, a defamation lawsuit might hold.

It seems to me that you are less concerned about the poet's attack on Blackwell than you are about the poet using a profanity. The courts look at her calling Blackwell an SOB the same way they would look at MadTV if they called Lohan bulimic or anorexic or Clinton a fat slob. All can be seen as derogatory.

I am more concerned about the rudeness and lack of respect. My profession is education. And more and more there is no sense of respect. The F bomb is thrown at teachers like it is nothing and then we hear from this generation, I can say what I want because it is my freedom of speech.

I am concerned that we don't think of others anymore as a country but more of a ME, ME, ME society. And I fear that mindset is quickly leading to the downfall of this country.

I don't think it is just Bush that has led the world to hate us. I think it is our arrogance and rudeness that our country permeates. I think countries around the world LOVE seeing us fall in the Ryder Cup, in Olympic basketball, etc, etc. I think athletes like the skier that was so arrogant does as much to give us an image of arrogance and rudeness as Bush does.

I am more concerned about the rudeness and lack of respect. My profession is education. And more and more there is no sense of respect. The F bomb is thrown at teachers like it is nothing and then we hear from this generation, I can say what I want because it is my freedom of speech.

I am concerned that we don't think of others anymore as a country but more of a ME, ME, ME society. And I fear that mindset is quickly leading to the downfall of this country.

I don't think it is just Bush that has led the world to hate us. I think it is our arrogance and rudeness that our country permeates. I think countries around the world LOVE seeing us fall in the Ryder Cup, in Olympic basketball, etc, etc. I think athletes like the skier that was so arrogant does as much to give us an image of arrogance and rudeness as Bush does.

Can't really argue with that. :thumb:

Bad Manners

You prefer bad manners to free speech? Wow. You're definitely the conservative poster child.

:lol: :p

You prefer bad manners to free speech? Wow. You're definitely the conservative poster child.

:lol: :p

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice try... :lol:

I'm 100% for free speech.

I’m also 100% convinced that there’s nothing “free” at all about “freedom”.

There is a cost to freedom if it is to work for everyone. This involves a minimal amount of decorum in considering how our rights and privileges may affect others. It also involves a significant degree of personal responsibility. For the past half century we have allowed our culture and arts to slowly spiral to the lowest common denominators. Instead of producing works of great talent and inspiration that might urge others to reach higher, we have settled for the quick and easy. We’ve gone from Zippo lighters with lifetime guarantees to Bic disposables.

This woman’s poetry is definitely disposable, and was delivered with bad manners to the largest audience she’ll ever enjoy for one of her poetry readings. She could have taken the high road and penned a work that would have moved her audience in a powerful way. She would have been the toast of the town. She would have gained a wider audience. She would have gained credibility for her political viewpoint, and a more willing media sounding board.

Instead of rising to the challenge of authoring an inspirational work, she chose the low road.

Too bad… this angry little street poet is a shining example of “FreeDUMB.”