Prediction: District Alignments

gchs_uk9

So Bracken County to 2A is for sure?

Unless someone from 1A chooses to play up, and that would floor me.

Now, if anyone in 1A goes the non-district route (Jenkins did last year), does the KHSAA drop a 2A team down to assure 32 teams in 1A? That's an unknown - they haven't done it before but Tackett has said he doesn't like first round byes.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your model shows 6 teams in Class 4A District 8 - Clay County, Corbin, Harlan County, Knox Central, Letcher County Central, Perry County Central, but looking at the other districts, I'm not sure they can avoid putting 6 in this one. I suppose you could move Corbin to District 7, although that would put 6 in that district then.

Unless someone from 1A chooses to play up, and that would floor me.

Now, if anyone in 1A goes the non-district route (Jenkins did last year), does the KHSAA drop a 2A team down to assure 32 teams in 1A? That's an unknown - they haven't done it before but Tackett has said he doesn't like first round byes.

I believe Emminence also went non-district last year. The challenge with the non-district teams and trying to keep 32 teams actively playing 1A, I believe the non-district teams get to decide year to year on what they are going to do and realignment is meant to be a 4 year commitment. So if you move Bracken County down and then Emminence or Jenkins decide this year they will play 1A ball, what happens to 2A playing down Bracken County? Do they get forced back up? What about schedules? If a team wants to drop out of district play, I think they should be forced to stay out for the two year scheduling cycle and they should only be allowed to drop out of district play in the years that teams are redoing their two year schedules.

Your model shows 6 teams in Class 4A District 8 - Clay County, Corbin, Harlan County, Knox Central, Letcher County Central, Perry County Central, but looking at the other districts, I'm not sure they can avoid putting 6 in this one. I suppose you could move Corbin to District 7, although that would put 6 in that district then.

If I’m one of those teams, I’d rather stay in the 6 team district than be put in the 7th or worse the 6th.

If you start with the biggest and fix it first. You need a western KY 5A to play up and a Louisville 6A to drop to 5A. The western 5As may fight to see who can move up away from BG, OHS , South Warren and Christian Co. As will the Lville 6A to escape St X and T.

6A D1

McCracken

Marshall

Henderson

Muhlenberg (Graves if they play up)

District 2

Daviess

Apollo

Meade

(Maybe a 5A who plays up, Ohio again, Grayson, Greenwood) or Muhlenberg if Graves plays up.

District 3

North Hardin

Central Hardin

Bullitt E.

Southern(or another lville 6A if one of these drops down to 5A maybe PRP

District 4

Butler

Manual

Male

St. X

District 5

Trinity

Ballard

Eastern

Brown

District 6

Dixie

Ryle

Sk

Campbell Co.

District 7

Oldham

Dunbar

Henry Clay

Bryan Stat.

District 8

Lafayette

Madison C.

GRC

Tates Creek

Just a thought, I know there are a lot of holes but helps balance districts out.

Shoot Away,

I think only Marshall County, Muhlenberg County, and Southern are eligible to move down to 5A and that is only if a team moves up from 5A, which could happen.

The KHSAA has repeatedly shown that in 6A they are going to make geography an important issue with districts. That's why District 2 had three teams, the Louisville districts had five, and the northern Kentucky districts had three. With almost 3/4 of the schools within the Golden Triangle postseason travel isn't nearly such a big deal and balancing districts hasn't seemed necessary.

I think only Marshall County, Muhlenberg County, and Southern are eligible to move down to 5A and that is only if a team moves up from 5A, which could happen.

The KHSAA has repeatedly shown that in 6A they are going to make geography an important issue with districts. That's why District 2 had three teams, the Louisville districts had five, and the northern Kentucky districts had three. With almost 3/4 of the schools within the Golden Triangle postseason travel isn't nearly such a big deal and balancing districts hasn't seemed necessary.

Duplicate post

Edited by wkufan1

Just trying to give a solution, move Souhrhern down to 5A and let one of the West 5A play up.

Alleviates a 6 team western district in 6A and odd districts in Lville area. Geography is messed up when Owensboro schools travel almost 3 hours to Paducah for a district game.

Here is another point to ponder, do some schools petition to play closer to home with the Governor slashing transportation budgets by 60%? Interesting plot twist

Just trying to give a solution, move Souhrhern down to 5A and let one of the West 5A play up.

Alleviates a 6 team western district in 6A and odd districts in Lville area. Geography is messed up when Owensboro schools travel almost 3 hours to Paducah for a district game.

Here is another point to ponder, do some schools petition to play closer to home with the Governor slashing ctransportation budgets by 60%? Interesting plot twist

This, every word of it. Will impact MANY public schools.

-In Class 2A, the addition of a few new eastern Kentucky schools means Danville/LCA/Somerset will no longer have to travel such long distances in the playoffs. Finding an appropriate place for Bath County and West Carter was difficult and they've both played up during the last two cycles. I suspect they'll do it again this time.

There is still the issue of having Middlesboro in their district, which means Middlesboro would have to travel 2-3 hours for district games and 3-4 hours for playoff games.

I would recommend Middlesboro drop down to 1A and then a couple scenarios to even out the districts:

1. Move one of the D3 teams (probably Washington County) over to D4 to even the two districts out at 4 and 4.

2. Move Somerset over to D3 with Monroe, Metcalfe, and Clinton. Move Green County and Washington County over to D4 with Danville and LCA.

Might take a little bit of movement amongst the 1A districts to make work, but Middlesboro should not be in a district on the Western side.

There is still the issue of having Middlesboro in their district, which means Middlesboro would have to travel 2-3 hours for district games and 3-4 hours for playoff games.

I would recommend Middlesboro drop down to 1A and then a couple scenarios to even out the districts:

1. Move one of the D3 teams (probably Washington County) over to D4 to even the two districts out at 4 and 4.

2. Move Somerset over to D3 with Monroe, Metcalfe, and Clinton. Move Green County and Washington County over to D4 with Danville and LCA.

Might take a little bit of movement amongst the 1A districts to make work, but Middlesboro should not be in a district on the Western side.

The movement between classes are all school decisions/requests, not something the KHSAA does. Plus I don't think a school can request to play down unless they have a strong argument about shrinking enrollment. Even then, they would have to be close to the edge on the lower class they want to move to.

Schools can request to play up. Then the KHSAA might approach the smallest school in the higher class to see if they want to move down but that might only apply to 1A and 6A. Those are the only two classes with strict limits on number of schools in the class (32).

Agreed. Middlesboro is in a bind on this. They are third in line to move down to 1A but none of the 1A teams are going to move up so Middlesboro will have to stay in 2A. Keeping that in mind, the average time travel from Middlesboro to their current district opponents is 2:08, admittedly a long time. However, if you moved them east with Breathitt, East Ridge, Knott, Leslie, and Shelby Valley, the average time travel is 2:09, one minute longer than as is. And even if you got rid of the Pike County schools and made a district of Breathitt, Knott, Leslie, and Middlesboro, the average time travel is 1:58.

In a nutshell, it is a long way from Middlesboro to everywhere in 2A.