St. X vs. Male: Who Wins and Why?

Who do you THINK (not hope) will win?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you THINK (not hope) will win?

^ not for nothing but in looking this up, did you know that Atherton actually beat X in 1973? I found that weird....

5 isn't the best barometer, so I chose this decade:

2000 - 14 - 7 - St. Xavier

2000 - 27 - 10 - Male (playoffs)

2001 - 28 - 20 - Male

2002 - 22 - 0 - Male

2002 - 51 - 26 - Male (playoffs)

2003 - 35 - 7 - St. Xavier

2003 - 34 - 7 - St. Xavier (playoffs)

2004 - 14 - 9 - St. Xavier

2005 - 28 - 23 - St. Xavier

For what it's worth, this rivalry is amazing, the record stands at 27-26 St. Xavier...

That's only the record through 1959. If you go all the way back to the beginning, the series stands at 51-34-2 in favor of the Bulldogs. :D

http://home.insightbb.com/%7Emalebulldogfootball/index_files/Page257.htm

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll tell you right now if Chris Wade was starting at quarterback for St. X they would have a better chance to win then with Zoeller but for some reason they are going with the Zoeller kid. Since he is starting and St. X wont have any type of passing game I predict Male wins big 42-21.

^ really? Why? I thought most people's opinions on here clearly state that Zoeller seems to be more solid. What makes Wade the better one?

RP, RingTime05 has noted before that he is a former player for Redman at Male. I would also be very interested in why he feels Wade would give the Tigers a better chance against the Bulldogs than Zoeller. Never having had a sophistocated passing game, St. X. has always attacked Male's 11-men in the box man-press defense :rolleyes: with a patient ground game. Once you get five yards past the line of scrimmage, you're in a foot race to the end zone because there are no real safeties. This tact by the Tigers has served them well in the past, and I see no reason that it won't continue to work. He is correct when he says that Wade is the better passer, but Zoeller is by far the better runner. When you add Zoeller's running ability from the QB position to the speed of Anderson and Finch, it gives us more running options, especially when we spread them with 4-wide.

RP, RingTime05 has noted before that he is a former player for Redman at Male. I would also be very interested in why he feels Wade would give the Tigers a better chance against the Bulldogs than Zoeller. Never having had a sophistocated passing game, St. X. has always attacked Male's 11-men in the box man-press defense :rolleyes: with a patient ground game. Once you get five yards past the line of scrimmage, you're in a foot race to the end zone because there are no real safeties. This tact by the Tigers has served them well in the past, and I see no reason that it won't continue to work. He is correct when he says that Wade is the better passer, but Zoeller is by far the better runner. When you add Zoeller's running ability from the QB position to the speed of Anderson and Finch, it gives us more running options, especially when we spread them with 4-wide.

I've been waiting for your response to that post! ;)

Thanks for what I thought would be the better answer. In no way, would I see this as the time for X to experiment with trying to open up Male's defense and its insane athletes. When you run right into the heart of the "Roll the Bones" defense, it is clearing sailing after 5 yards.

If anyone has been keeping up with X up untill the Trinity game you would have to say Wade is the better QB. He has made one bad mistake the whole year and that was throwing that intro in the X-T game, which by the way I strongly believe that X would have won if the game would have been played out. In the first game Chris Wade led X to both of their scoring drive, which won them the game. In the Highlands game if it wasn't for Wades great passing X would have had zero chance to win. Also in the Manual game if Manuals defence didn't make Vic look like Jesus in cleats and X would have had to rely on Zoellers arm I think it would have been a whole new ball game. This year for X they might have the most explosive offencive weapons they have ever had with Vic and Duece in the backfield and Passufume and Simmons at widereciever, and with Wades throwing ability that was a combination that couldn't be beat. Also someone said something about how Zoeller is a much superior runner, if im not mistaken X really has never given Wade a chance to run and everytime he has had to run he was very productive. This year X needed to realize the only running their QB needed to be doing is running the hand off back to Vic or Duece or sprinting out to throw to one of their weapons at widereciever. Just to finish off my point Redman is not going to allow Vic to beat him just like he did last year and I believe the only way X has a chance to win versus a superior Male team is

I just spoke with a Male football parent and long time supporter who told me he has never seen Bobby R. so fired up for a game, ever. Also they have been working on plays for a couple of weeks that have never been used in a game this year to be used against St.X. My reply was "this is not the game you want to win, its the rematch in 3 weeks". Could the Dogs be putting too much on this game with the Rams next and a likely rematch with the Tigers in 3 weeks? What say you!

I just spoke with a Male football parent and long time supporter who told me he has never seen Bobby R. so fired up for a game, ever. Also they have been working on plays for a couple of weeks that have never been used in a game this year to be used against St.X. My reply was "this is not the game you want to win, its the rematch in 3 weeks". Could the Dogs be putting too much on this game with the Rams next and a likely rematch with the Tigers in 3 weeks? What say you!

I agree that it is not wise to put all your eggs in the regular season game basket, however Redman has been around the block enough times to realize that. I'm sure he won't show everything in the first game without keeping anything for a playoff rematch.

In 1999 the Tigers had the speed to break the line for big gains(Butler, Legel, Payne), and I see this Friday. Unfortunately, I think Male has the horses too. I see a high scoring game that can go either way. Turnovers may be the final key.