St. X vs. Male: Who Wins and Why?

Who do you THINK (not hope) will win?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you THINK (not hope) will win?

This is a hard game to predict because while both teams want to win :

1. Neither team wants to show everything. and

2. Both teams will be testing (coverages, defensive and offensive adjustments, mismatches, tendancies)

The playoff game is the one....and a meeting is almost definite.

I think that this hits the nail on the head and is closer to the original topic. I think the coaches are playing this game for good film for the rematch in what, 3 weeks ? Either team can win , but the can won't be opened until the play-off game. Thats' when the drivin' will get dirty. I think Male will win this one, but St.X gets revenge in the play-offs.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The playoff game is definitely the more important game, BUT with a win in this game, the winner gets to set the venue for an eventual playoff game (if both teams make it to Round 2). That could mean important considerations such as playing on an artificial surface like PJCS or on a home field natural surface. Let's say the weather gets nasty in November (it's happened before) and the choice is between a muddy mess at Manual Stadium and the fast-draining surface at Papa Johns. I can imagine that a team with a speed advantage might opt for a more stable playing surface. Winner of this game will also get to control the location of the Round 3 game.

I think win or lose St.X would take the play-off game to Male or PJCS instead of Manual because of the field condition. This game is all about getting a feel for the other for the rematch. I don't think they should have played this game so late in the season with the rematch in the second round.

I think win or lose St.X would take the play-off game to Male or PJCS in stead of Manual because of the field condition. This game is all about getting a feel for the other for the rematch. I don't think they should have played this game so late in the season with the rematch in the second round.

Each team is going to make the decision that will give them the best shot at winning the playoff game. If St X believes the field conditions at MS would give them a better chance of winning the playoff game, I'm sure they'll have the game at MS. In 1999 the field at MS was a muddy mess, but Glaser kept the game there and X won a hardfought contest 19-10.

But as I said above, winning the regular season game is also important because the District 4 champion gets homefield choice against the team that comes out of D5 (I wonder who that will be?) if they meet in Round 3 of the playoffs.

Each team is going to make the decision that will give them the best shot at winning the playoff game. If St X believes the field conditions at MS would give them a better chance of winning the playoff game, I'm sure they'll have the game at MS. In 1999 the field at MS was a muddy mess, but Glaser kept the game there and X won a hardfought contest 19-10.

The 1999 game was in the rain and would have been a muddy mess anywhere. I have heard Glaser say many times he hates the condition of the field at Manual at playoff time! I don't think he will play the rematch there win or lose but I guess we will see in a couple of weeks. Back to the topic it will be hard for the Tigers to win with Vic wearing a cast.

But as I said above, winning the regular season game is also important because the District 4 champion gets homefield choice against the team that comes out of D5 (I wonder who that will be?) if they meet in Round 3 of the playoffs.

Exactly, and knowing X with Deuce and Vic, Manual Stadium is where I would want it...

In 1999 the field at MS was a muddy mess, but Glaser kept the game there and X won a hardfought contest 19-10.

I remember hearing rumblings that X "watered" the field for that game. Didn't make any sense to me though since they beat Male 39-3 earlier in the season on a "fast track."

If Glaser wins and gets to pick the site for the game, I don't think he'd play anywhere but MS.

I remember hearing rumblings that X "watered" the field for that game. Didn't make any sense to me though since they beat Male 39-3 earlier in the season on a "fast track."

If Glaser wins and gets to pick the site for the game, I don't think he'd play anywhere but MS.

I was there. A driving, torrential rain drenched the field. The Creater "watered" the field. So...wait a moment... X is a Catholic school...:D

I think win or lose St.X would take the play-off game to Male or PJCS instead of Manual because of the field condition. This game is all about getting a feel for the other for the rematch. I don't think they should have played this game so late in the season with the rematch in the second round.

I haven't been to Male, but I was at Manual Stadium last week and the field looked great. Too bad they will be putting turf down next season; how about some new lights! I couldn't imagine St. X choosing to play at Male if Manual Stadium or PJCS are available.

:thumb:

^ not for nothing but in looking this up, did you know that Atherton actually beat X in 1973? I found that weird....

5 isn't the best barometer, so I chose this decade:

2000 - 14 - 7 - St. Xavier

2000 - 27 - 10 - Male (playoffs)

2001 - 28 - 20 - Male

2002 - 22 - 0 - Male

2002 - 51 - 26 - Male (playoffs)

2003 - 35 - 7 - St. Xavier

2003 - 34 - 7 - St. Xavier (playoffs)

2004 - 14 - 9 - St. Xavier

2005 - 28 - 23 - St. Xavier

For what it's worth, this rivalry is amazing, the record stands at 27-26 St. Xavier...