St. X vs. Male: Who Wins and Why?

Who do you THINK (not hope) will win?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you THINK (not hope) will win?

My reply was "this is not the game you want to win, its the rematch in 3 weeks". Could the Dogs be putting too much on this game with the Rams next and a likely rematch with the Tigers in 3 weeks? What say you!
Winning might be worth thier while considering the four game stretch ahead of them.

Win and

St X, Manual, PRP/Butler(playoff), Manual/StX(playoff)

Lose and

StX, Manual, Manual(playoff), StX(Playoff)

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The game this year will pose one heck of a challenge for Coach Walsh and the Tiger defense, for unlike the past few years, the Bulldogs have a QB who can be just as dangerous with his feet as he is with his arm. As noted earlier in this thread by H, Gainey has garnered 333 yards rushing on only 24 attempts. That's a very impressive 13.9 yards per carry. The Tigers may have to switch up on the 3 down lineman and 8-man zone combo scheme they have used so successfully the past few years.

To make matters even tougher, with greatly improved line play, led by Sam Webb and Wes Barton, Male's offense overall has actually adapted itself to more of a ground attack (YTD 56% rushing and 44% passing based on yardage), led by Beaumont, Gainey, Hobbs, and Frye.

If the Tigers become too run conscious, Gainey has two of the best receiving targets in the state in Josh Williams and Doug Beaumont, who are both having tremendous years catching the ball and amassing colossal yardage after the catch.

There was also some mention of new wrinkles being possibly added to the offense for this game. Two things which I would watch for are the use of 6-3, 220 lb. Dexter Heyman as a powerback in the backfield (he scored a 76 yd. TD against PRP), and the double pass play, where Gainey threw to Josh Williams, who in turn threw a 40-yard TD pass.

One thing is for sure, the Tiger defense needs to know where Gainey, Beaumont, and Williams are on every play. My head just gets dizzy thinking about all the possibilities, when you are confronted by a team with all of this talent and firepower. :scared:

.... I think X has the luxury of having two good QB's. When Zoeller messes up in the Male game, Wade will get his chance, which he will...

Please tell me that I am reading this incorrectly and you are NOT predicting a poor performance by a 16 or 17 yr old young man.

Excellent analysis, Professor Oxnard!

I think this game will come down to the battle between the X offense and the Male defense. Simply put, if Male's D can shut down or at least minimize the big plays, I think they win. I'll be very surprised if X stops Male from scoring at least 3 or 4 touchdowns.

Ringtime05:

I am glad to see your praise of Chris Wade's performance-the dramatically increased work ethic he developed between his JR & SR year has paid off by putting him in contention for a position that he had previously been close to being written off for. Kudos to Chris for the progress he has achieved.

That being said, history should show you that having the strongest arm can prove to be a much more valuable attribute in some other offensive schemes than that of the Tigers. Things like athleticism, running the option efficiently and most importantly making the right decisions at the line of scrimmage in terms of reading defenses & when to audible are characteristics that historically win the praise of the X staff. While both young men have proven to be worthy of praise at different times and in different situations, I think the Tiger faithful recognize and trust the judgment of Coach Wagoner in evaluating which young man is right for the job, thank you very much. The amount of time he puts in on and off-field counseling/teaching these young men certainly has paid dividends for the Tigers and his resume speaks for itself. It is a luxury to have two capable, but not perfect (who is?), QB's. Lighten up on Ben, he and Chris are BOTH fine young men that we are proud to call Tigers

RockPride whats your proof..... the facts are Chris Wade played better then Zoeller in every game Wade started other then the X-T game and anyones only argument against Wade in that game was the interception he threw because its not like Zoeller played good either. But the facts are Chris Wade was playing better then Zoeller and then politics stepped in and the rest is history. Thats the proof!

Sounds like an H fan is trying to stir up some dissention amongst the Tigers, fortunately for St. X it isn’t going to work. Coach Glaser and his staff decided weeks ago that Ben Zoeller gives the Tigers their best chance at winning based on their observations and criteria, not those of a biased outsider or zealous fan. Sometimes you just have to trust the coaches. St. X has been working hard on its’ game plan all week and if something were to happen to Ben I am sure Chris can step in a do a good job. Not every team is fortunate enough to have two good QBs with plenty of playing experience.

I look for this to be a typical Male/St. X game, with St. X busting it up the gut a lot and throwing enough to keep the Male DBs honest. There will be a few “3 and outs” for St. X but they will also break off some long plays. I look for St. X to win a close one in the 4th quarter. Although this is the deepest H team in a while, especially on the line, they still play 5-6 key players both ways and that will start to show in the 2nd half.

Looking forward to a great game with no injuries.

Please tell me that I am reading this incorrectly and you are NOT predicting a poor performance by a 16 or 17 yr old young man.

Did I say poor performance? I think I said mess up, which not all 16 or 17 years are perfect...Agree? I don't think throwing one interception is considered a poor performance, but the X's coaches do. Did you not read the rest of my post. I may need to rethink my prediction...Good luck to ya..

Seems like Insight would have televised this one. Very exciting game for sure. If X keeps it close they win in my opinion since Male has not seen a close game (or a team like X). If X let's Male run wild in the first quarter and gets down a couple tds, I do not see them coming back. Special teams are extra special teams in this one... if you think speed kills, take a look at what turnovers can do! Final prediction... whoever wins this game wins the playoff game when they meet again... by a wider margin.

At the risk of getting blasted on this forum, I will stick my neck out and make a bold prediction...I have seen both of the teams play a few times this year and and I really just do not believe that X has the speed to keep up this time. Male's O-Line is the best I've seen in a long time and I think can actually match up better physically with X's D-Line. Likewise, I just cant see X winning a shootout with Male....so here it goes:

Male 49

St. X 14

Did I say poor performance? I think I said mess up, which not all 16 or 17 years are perfect...Agree? I don't think throwing one interception is considered a poor performance, but the X's coaches do. Did you not read the rest of my post. I may need to rethink my prediction...Good luck to ya..

My reference was to your "when" he messes up-I think "if" would have been a better word so it is not misconstrued as a prediction of a poor performance. A simple "that is not what I was inferring" would have been sufficient but good luck right back at ya with your prediction.

At the risk of getting blasted on this forum, I will stick my neck out and make a bold prediction...

Male 49

St. X 14

I won't blast you, TigerDude13. In fact, I'll commend you! :dancingpa