Beechwood 41 Raceland 0 - 1A State Championship

theguru

Congrats Tigers on #13, I tell you what, the Rams defense played their collective butts off, they flew to the football and was by far the best tackling team I have seen in years....great effort. Don't know who #2 was for the Rams, but that young man can flat out play football.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Beechwood controlled the game from the start. But, I dont think I’ve seen defensive hits like the Rams displayed in a 1A school before. They were flying around everywhere. Tigers passing game was terrific. both teams were great sports.

Congrats Tigers on #13, I tell you what, the Rams defense played their collective butts off, they flew to the football and was by far the best tackling team I have seen in years....great effort. Don't know who #2 was for the Rams, but that young man can flat out play football.

I have to agree, the Rams defense came ready to play.

Every dog has his day and today was ours. We have most definitely had state games where it wasn’t our day.

Raceland played with heart and class. You are definitely a dog that will have its day.

Is Raceland going to weld their goal post back together?

Actually, they are going to come down anyway. The field is going to be moved down some and have some upgrades in the off-season. It was just more ceremonial to do it after a big win. lol

Rams tackling was pretty special. These guys flat hit. But, to me the Tigers total defensive control was the story of this game. What were the final defensive stats? 37 yards, 3 first downs, and no penetrations past 50???? That is dominance. I knew BW defense was strong and looking back of their 7 1A opponents this year they allowed a total of 34 points. That is less than 5 points per game!

Total team effort by all aspects of the BW program. Pretty impressive and especially classy. Anybody notice how both teams helped their opponents up after hard contact? Little pats of respect consistently given each way. Made me very proud of what both coaching staffs are teaching.

Congratulations to Beechwood on their championship victory.

A shout-out to Burch and Davis, both former teammates of my son. They are both fine young men and come from fine families. Much success to both young men in their future endeavors. God bless.

Boyd County transfers back or did they all graduate?

We prefer to call them "all" Raceland students, no-one is a "transfer" or "new guy". Maybe that's why they transferred.

Once a Ram, always a Ram.

Great job and great season by the Beechwood Tigers.

First, congratulations to Raceland. Despite the final score, this game was not as easy as some might think. Raceland is definitely one of the top 5 teams in 1A. They had a great turnout at the stadium, one of the few times I have seen a 1A team travel as well as Beechwood. The attendance of 7,103 verifies the support these two teams have.

Beechwood was an absolute machine of execution in this game. That is true on both sides of the ball. Raceland is very good and very well coached. Beechwood is just a little better everywhere, but especially on offense. QB Brayden Burch had one of his best games ever as Beechwood QB. He threaded the needle against very good coverage by Raceland's defense all day long. There were very few yards after catch by Beechwood receivers because Raceland's defenders were right there and sure tacklers. Still, Burch put the ball perfectly on target and his receivers hung on for catches under tight coverage and hard hits by Raceland. There were several passes by Burch that were outstanding but two in particular come to mind.

First, Burch was under pressure and scrambling with Beechwood at about the 20. Burch eluded the pressure but was still being chased. He saw James Davis in the flats well covered. Burch improvised and perfectly lobbed a ball over the defender that Davis was able to adjust to and catch in stride, getting tackled inside the 5. Big time play and throw by Burch.

Two, Beechwood at the 8 yard line, WR and game MVP Daniel Mescher lined up wide, almost to the sideline. Mescher made a quick move and cut in at the goal line. Burch threw a perfectly timed ball to Mescher between Raceland defenders, just past the fingertips of the Raceland DB. That was a play that exemplified the level of execution Beechwood played with all day long.

Beechwood's defense likewise was just a little better at every spot. Raceland had nowhere to go running the ball all day. Raceland tried everything. They tried different offensive sets, they tried single back pro set, split backs, misdirection, unbalanced and overloaded line on a short yardage play. Beechwood was there on everything they tried. When they tried to pass, the Beechwood coverage was too good and there was pressure applied. It was as dominating a game as you will ever see in a state championship game with Raceland ending up with only 37 yards of offense on the day.

Finally, let's not forget special teams. Daniel Mescher's kickoffs and coverage by the Tigers helped Beechwood win field position all day. Mescher split the uprights with every kick, including his two field goals. On the other side, Raceland struggled with a couple of punts that gave Beechwood a short field and put Raceland's defense in really bad situations.

Beechwood overwhelmed a very good opponent in every way. I have to believe this ranks as one of the most outstanding performances in a state championship. Congratulations to everyone in the Tigers program on a tremendous year and championship #13.