Beechwood 41 Raceland 0 - 1A State Championship

theguru

Beechwood controlled the game from the start. But, I dont think I’ve seen defensive hits like the Rams displayed in a 1A school before. They were flying around everywhere. Tigers passing game was terrific. both teams were great sports.
Yes, Raceland's defense has carried the Rams in several games this season. Dave Lewis, our "D" Coordinator has been in 9 state title games in his long career before this one. He was a Legendary Asst. Coach / D Coordinator under equally Legend in OH. , Bob Lutz at the Southern Ohio power, Ironton Fighting Tigers. Coach Lewis retired from Ohio schools and coaching at the same time that Coach Lutz retired at the school. Lewis was at Ironton for 34 yrs. I believe, and he's the kind of man that just loves the H.S. game and teaching kids how to play football. He must, I think he is in his age is around his mid 70's ! Hell, I'm an old fart and graduated high school in the mid 70's, 1975. :lol2:

I have to agree, the Rams defense came ready to play.

Every dog has his day and today was ours. We have most definitely had state games where it wasn’t our day.

Raceland played with heart and class. You are definitely a dog that will have its day.

Thank you Beecwoodfan for your kind words, and what a program that your Beechwood is :thumb: ! That kind of tradition is what we here strive for. Raceland's is a Winning tradition through 89 years of football with multiple ( around 20 + I believe) District titles since the early 1970's and 3 Region Titles w / countless Region r/u's along with countless titles in various conferences ...NEKC, NEKY, EKC, etc. thru the decades.

We certainly hope to have our day / days in the future. Beechwood had that avantage of "having been there before, multiple times where this was the Rams first.

Edited by oldrambler

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pikeville was in the same boat as Raceland. No one gave them a chance all season long. If not for shooting themselves in the foot with so many silly mistakes, then who knows ? 1-A East is going to be fun to watch next season as lots of talent returns to some teams.

Great job and great season by the Beechwood Tigers.

First, congratulations to Raceland. Despite the final score, this game was not as easy as some might think. Raceland is definitely one of the top 5 teams in 1A. They had a great turnout at the stadium, one of the few times I have seen a 1A team travel as well as Beechwood. The attendance of 7,103 verifies the support these two teams have.

Beechwood was an absolute machine of execution in this game. That is true on both sides of the ball. Raceland is very good and very well coached. Beechwood is just a little better everywhere, but especially on offense. QB Brayden Burch had one of his best games ever as Beechwood QB. He threaded the needle against very good coverage by Raceland's defense all day long. There were very few yards after catch by Beechwood receivers because Raceland's defenders were right there and sure tacklers. Still, Burch put the ball perfectly on target and his receivers hung on for catches under tight coverage and hard hits by Raceland. There were several passes by Burch that were outstanding but two in particular come to mind.

First, Burch was under pressure and scrambling with Beechwood at about the 20. Burch eluded the pressure but was still being chased. He saw James Davis in the flats well covered. Burch improvised and perfectly lobbed a ball over the defender that Davis was able to adjust to and catch in stride, getting tackled inside the 5. Big time play and throw by Burch.

Two, Beechwood at the 8 yard line, WR and game MVP Daniel Mescher lined up wide, almost to the sideline. Mescher made a quick move and cut in at the goal line. Burch threw a perfectly timed ball to Mescher between Raceland defenders, just past the fingertips of the Raceland DB. That was a play that exemplified the level of execution Beechwood played with all day long.

Beechwood's defense likewise was just a little better at every spot. Raceland had nowhere to go running the ball all day. Raceland tried everything. They tried different offensive sets, they tried single back pro set, split backs, misdirection, unbalanced and overloaded line on a short yardage play. Beechwood was there on everything they tried. When they tried to pass, the Beechwood coverage was too good and there was pressure applied. It was as dominating a game as you will ever see in a state championship game with Raceland ending up with only 37 yards of offense on the day.

Finally, let's not forget special teams. Daniel Mescher's kickoffs and coverage by the Tigers helped Beechwood win field position all day. Mescher split the uprights with every kick, including his two field goals. On the other side, Raceland struggled with a couple of punts that gave Beechwood a short field and put Raceland's defense in really bad situations.

Beechwood overwhelmed a very good opponent in every way. I have to believe this ranks as one of the most outstanding performances in a state championship. Congratulations to everyone in the Tigers program on a tremendous year and championship #13.

Great summary, EyeOfTheTiger. One name that I don't think anyone's mentioned in this thread is Logan Castleman. I love the way he plays the game. Just an all-around gamer. He's not Beechwood's top running back, receiver, or defensive back, but he's their most versatile talent. His stats don't always jump off the page at you, but he finds ways to make a positive impact on the game for Beechwood, whether the ball’s in his hands or not. A key reception here, a tough run to move the chains there, an INT, a great form tackle in space to prevent a big play. That was the case again versus Raceland. Every team in the state would love to have their own Castleman.

Great summary, EyeOfTheTiger. One name that I don't think anyone's mentioned in this thread is Logan Castleman. I love the way he plays the game. Just an all-around gamer. He's not Beechwood's top running back, receiver, or defensive back, but he's their most versatile talent. His stats don't always jump off the page at you, but he finds ways to make a positive impact on the game for Beechwood, whether the ball’s in his hands or not. A key reception here, a tough run to move the chains there, an INT, a great form tackle in space to prevent a big play. That was the case again versus Raceland. Every team in the state would love to have their own Castleman.

Castleman is one of those redshirt players. Haha. I will say this not many Freshmen come in and play at Beechwood like he has. He should finish will some outstanding numbers next year..

I just want to congratulate Beechwood on a great game and on winning their 13th title. I was there cheering you guys on in the early 90’s when Coach Roy Lucas II was an assistant under Coach Yeagle. Classy team and wonderful tradition. I hope to see our Rams develop that now that they have been there and got a taste of the sweet nectar of Title game football.

Btw, Oldrambler, I haven’t been on here all season. Every time I started to renew, I thought of how well we were playing and didn’t want to jinx it. LOL

I’m an old ball player and I live with superstition and lucky “things”. I just couldn’t take a chance and ruin our mojo.

I’m glad to be back.

Thank you for mentioning Castleman. He was a rock this team could count on when the going got tough. When the Tigers needed a key catch or tough, short yardage runs he came through. He made big plays that impacted every game. His stats are not eye popping because he played both ways and that led to fewer touches on offense and returns. He is going to be one of the top players to watch in 1A next year.

I listened to the game on Kool Hits 105.7 out of Ashland, Ky. I thought the broadcasters (didn't catch their names) did a very nice job of calling the game. Even when the outcome was decided they remained positive about their team and complimentary of Beechwood.
WLGC does a good job, the station covers all teams in our area and tries to keep the same crew with each team as best as they can. That, imo allows them to become familiar with the team as to jumping around to different games / teams each week.

Rams tackling was pretty special. These guys flat hit. But, to me the Tigers total defensive control was the story of this game. What were the final defensive stats? 37 yards, 3 first downs, and no penetrations past 50???? That is dominance. I knew BW defense was strong and looking back of their 7 1A opponents this year they allowed a total of 34 points. That is less than 5 points per game!

Total team effort by all aspects of the BW program. Pretty impressive and especially classy. Anybody notice how both teams helped their opponents up after hard contact? Little pats of respect consistently given each way. Made me very proud of what both coaching staffs are teaching.

The Beechwood defense was very good. As for the Raceland offense, Beechwood controlled the line of scrimmage and that was the story for the Rams running game that had been reliable all season to being shut down completely. Raceland hasn't been controlled like that (completely dominated) on the line (O and D) in years. I actually thought that with being an obvious under dog going in, that Raceland would open up the offense, going more out of the "Wild Ram" series. Playing with "house money" so to speak, there was no next game. I can't criticize the Raceland Coach and/or staff at all. They went with "dancing w / the one that brought you", what they had been so successful with all during this run from mid season on.

Bottom line was we were just whipped by a better football team, Beechwood deserved the win.

Oldrambler, I know it's too late for the 2017 season, but this is just for you......

TCB!!!

Don't worry :lol2:, I picked the "TCB" logo after you weren't here.

Btw, Oldrambler, I haven’t been on here all season. Every time I started to renew, I thought of how well we were playing and didn’t want to jinx it. LOL

I’m an old ball player and I live with superstition and lucky “things”. I just couldn’t take a chance and ruin our mojo.

I’m glad to be back.

That's o.k. ....I guess :sneaky:. You "took one for the team". Believe it or not, I didn't post as often as in past seasons. I did however post and although not as many "TCB" along with entering to some of my Knute Rockne type "Speeches":eyeonyou: at times, just not as many.

The Beechwood defense was very good. As for the Raceland offense, Beechwood controlled the line of scrimmage and that was the story for the Rams running game that had been reliable all season to being shut down completely. Raceland hasn't been controlled like that (completely dominated) on the line (O and D) in years. I actually thought that with being an obvious under dog going in, that Raceland would open up the offense, going more out of the "Wild Ram" series. Playing with "house money" so to speak, there was no next game. I can't criticize the Raceland Coach and/or staff at all. They went with "dancing w / the one that brought you", what they had been so successful with all during this run from mid season on.

Bottom line was we were just whipped by a better football team, Beechwood deserved the win.

You are correct about Beechwood controlling the line of scrimmage. I just watched the whole game over and it just seems like Raceland couldn’t get out of their own ways. When something went there way they screwed back up to give it back. There defense player good to be on the field all game. Beechwood run the ball on them okay but aye them up on basically the same plays all game.

I’m not close to the program so I can criticize a little bit. In a game like this you need the go for broke and pull out all stops. Racelands play calling was vanilla all game. I’ve mentioned for years the staff needs to adjust to what they have coming back.

Raceland needs have package sets like Beechwood had in the title game.

So my words for the Rams in 2018 is add some Iform, full house backfield sets and double tight. Running from the Shotgun against a good run stopping team only allows the linebackers to get down hill and make plays..

So please adjust..

You are correct about Beechwood controlling the line of scrimmage. I just watched the whole game over and it just seems like Raceland couldn’t get out of their own ways. When something went there way they screwed back up to give it back. There defense player good to be on the field all game. Beechwood run the ball on them okay but aye them up on basically the same plays all game.

I’m not close to the program so I can criticize a little bit. In a game like this you need the go for broke and pull out all stops. Racelands play calling was vanilla all game. I’ve mentioned for years the staff needs to adjust to what they have coming back.

Raceland needs have package sets like Beechwood had in the title game.

So my words for the Rams in 2018 is add some Iform, full house backfield sets and double tight. Running from the Shotgun against a good run stopping team only allows the linebackers to get down hill and make plays..

So please adjust..

I don't disagree with anything in your post. As for the bolded , that's what I was saying in my last post. I agree with you. Being permanently disabled, it was too difficult for me to make the trip but I could tell by the pbp call on radio what Raceland was doing as far as strategy / plays ran that our coaches were going with the same basic sets that they had most of the season, and were winning with. I would have liked to see how things would've worked running some packages out of their offense that were more open. The Rams ran some of that in the 2nd half of the first Paintsville game ....already down by 30 or so, the Rams scored 3 td's in the 2nd half using the more open "wildcat or Ram cat" package. Also, used some of it at times in the Region title game if I remember correctly.

I can't be at any, or a very few games so I don't criticize the coach, coaches bc they see their kids every day in practice, know how well and not so well they perform depending on the game / situation. Plus, making a state championship game ...they are obviously doing something right, ;).

I don't disagree with anything in your post. As for the bolded , that's what I was saying in my last post. I agree with you. Being permanently disabled, it was too difficult for me to make the trip but I could tell by the pbp call on radio what Raceland was doing as far as strategy / plays ran that our coaches were going with the same basic sets that they had most of the season, and were winning with. I would have liked to see how things would've worked running some packages out of their offense that were more open. The Rams ran some of that in the 2nd half of the first Paintsville game ....already down by 30 or so, the Rams scored 3 td's in the 2nd half using the more open "wildcat or Ram cat" package. Also, used some of it at times in the Region title game if I remember correctly.

I can't be at any, or a very few games so I don't criticize the coach, coaches bc they see their kids every day in practice, know how well and not so well they perform depending on the game / situation. Plus, making a state championship game ...they are obviously doing something right, ;).

I just sometimes wish teams would adjust. I support Hazard as a few may know. My cousin played from 2006-2009 but quit his senior year like an idiot. I wanted to see some of his teams use the power running sets which they never did until 2012. 2007-2012 was some of the best teams hazard ever fielded. This years team if could of stayed healthy could of been healthy but it wasn’t so.

I’ve always felt the Rams to be similar with some of the talent and backs they’ve returned over the years.