Which professional sport has stars who maintain top-level careers for the longest?

Colonels_Wear_Blue

I don't know that the average peak years for any sport are terribly long. The key word here is average. While stars can have extended runs at the top of their game, most of the pro's aren't stars. That being said, Football is probably the toughest because of the physical abuse. Baseball is tough because of the length of the season, but many stars can be top players for over a decade. The NBA is pretty close to baseball with a long, grinding season, but many of the top guys have extended runs at the top. Otherwise, I think all of the individual sports generally aren't contact based, and offer a better opportunity for long periods of high level success.

I'll say baseball, for a reason nobody has mentioned...the minor leagues. In basketball and football, there's ton of new talent coming out of college each and every year. And the majority of those draft choices have to go somewhere, and usually it's the roster...meaning somebody that was there last year, is now gone. With baseball, even a top prospect may spend anywhere from 2-4 years in the minors. Only if they survive there do they get brought up. And only then do they push out a veteran.

I think that allows an "average" player the chance to stay in the sport much, much longer than any of the other leagues.

Not real athletes in the same way as the major sports. Thoroughbred jockeys are a different story, though.

It depends on the discipline for the Olympics. Eventers are better athletes than jockeys as they are doing the exact same thing as jockeys except for 10-12 minutes while jumping immovable fences during the cross country phase. They're just not battling 10 other horses next to them. The show jumpers are athletic but they don't have to go as long (about as long as jockey). Dressage riders, well, they don't need to be athletic.