Please KHSAA DO NOT let this happen

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You guys are right. Texas does do that. I was a sports writer for the Baytown (Texas) Sun during the 2000 season.

It started years ago because in the largest class, you might have schools with 4,000 students going against schools with 2,500 for example. So what they did for years is take the largest school in each district and put them in one playoff series then take the smallest two and put them in their own playoff class so you essentially have a Class 6A-Division I and Class 6A-Division II champion. I believe they do it in all classes now except they take four teams out of each district.

I do not have a problem with this in Texas because there are enough schools to where it won't be watered down. But in Kentucky, I do not believe there are enough schools to make this happen.

I love the idea!!

Me too.

Its really unfair for a lot of schools. You can say get better or whatever, but that sometimes doesnt matter. Every school is different and not as blessed as some schools. Why punish kids or coaches for stuff they cant control.

For example how do you tell a team getting ready to play another team with 50 more kids that they need to work harder.

Me too.

Its really unfair for a lot of schools. You can say get better or whatever, but that sometimes doesnt matter. Every school is different and not as blessed as some schools. Why punish kids or coaches for stuff they cant control.

For example how do you tell a team getting ready to play another team with 50 more kids that they need to work harder.

There are a whole lot more people that have played football in the state that have not won a State Championship then those that have. And we all learned the same lessons working toward that goal of a State Championship no matter if we hoisted a trophy or not. The same goes for every sport in every state in the country.

There are a whole lot more people that have played football in the state that have not won a State Championship then those that have. And we all learned the same lessons working toward that goal of a State Championship no matter if we hoisted a trophy or not. The same goes for every sport in every state in the country.

So the learned lessons will stop with this. Enlighten me.

I hate this idea...I feel like Julian Tackett has hurt the advancement of football in our state with his constant experiment of rules on our sport, watering down our playoff system, doesn't listen to the coaches and now he is going to make our sport into a "Everybody gets a trophy" joke. Sure Texas does it...but look at their population and geographics. We need to go to system that we can all agree on instead of an Ego driven commissioner making decisions based on what makes him look good (what he thinks anyway).

Is there any written description of this floating anywhere? Was this really a proper proposal or just something being thrown out? Was this presented strictly to the Board of Control? Did the football advisory committee they created in the spring present? @ChiefSmoke

I believe this is simply an idea. I do not believe it has ever been presented to any entity as a proposal. My understanding, the 3-4 seed would play for a bowl championship.... not to be considered as a “state champion.”

It is an attempt to move back the season, a week out of the heat & eliminate the 1 v. 4 blowouts.

I’ve also heard support for your plan as presented here & what you sent to the advisory committee.

I believe this is simply an idea. I do not believe it has ever been presented to any entity as a proposal. My understanding, the 3-4 seed would play for a bowl championship.... not to be considered as a “state champion.”

It is an attempt to move back the season, a week out of the heat & eliminate the 1 v. 4 blowouts.

I’ve also heard support for your plan as presented here & what you sent to the advisory committee.

So kind of like the current Bowl set up for FBS schools without as many "bowls".

A select few actually get to play for the real thing or things in our case, and the rest get to play for a bowl championship, but not the mac daddy.

I can dig it.

In the mid atlantic and some northeastern states they still go by this kind of set up where Thanksgiving Day or Black Friday games are still a tradition for all. For some that game is a state semifinal; for other's its just a pairing to keep the turkey day tradition going & it's usually with a team within their class and relatively close proximity to one another.

Well, why stop there? Let's take the top 4 from each district and put the 1s together, the 2s together, 3s together and 4s together. Each could have their own state championship. 6A-A, 6A-AA, 6A-AAA, 6A-AAAA. Then take all the 5 or 6 seeds, because obviously we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings and they could be the 6A-AAAAA state champs. And then anyone who loses in the above Class/division playoffs could branch off and have their own state championship. We could keep going until literally every team in the state could call themselves a state champion. Doesn't that sound great?

Just curious why can't we just take the top 2 from each district and eliminate the 1st round blow outs. Just an idea.

Two four seeds beat one seeds this season. And there were a heck of a lot of blowouts in games between one and two seeds last weekend.