The BEST teams not to win

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#1 Male in 1983 with Winston Bennett. Also, 1978 Apollo was undefeated entering the tournament.

'Twas widely speculated that the winner of the first round game in '78 would become the champion. Sure enough Shelby County beat Apollo 62-55...and the Rockets went on to win it all.

Apollo, with Steve Barker and Jeff Jones, finished 35-1. Shelby County, with Charles Hurt, was 31-3.

1983 had one of the best finals in the history of the Sweet 16.

One of the great S16 moments I was proud to be a part of. Henry Clay had a very talented group but Carlisle fought tooth and nail. Not too many schools the size of Carlise had the type of size they had with the Tyler brothers. I can still hear the tubas from Henry Clay's band while the fans chanted "Go Devils".

A couple of teams come to mind for me... Paintsville in '97-'98 and Scott County in '98-'99.

When Paintsville won it all in '96 with a nucleus of underclassmen (including sophomore JR VanHoose) leading the way, I thought for sure that they'd cut down the nets at Rupp at least one more time. But, it wasn't meant to be. The Tigers finished runner-up to Scott County in '98.

The next year, Scott County returned a loaded roster that included at least three future D1 players and two Mr. Basketballs. They were #1 in the state pretty much all year and nationally ranked (someone correct me, if I'm wrong). They returned to the Sweet 16 Championship Game, but couldn't buy a bucket for the majority of the game and got trounced by Ballard, 71-47. They finished the season 36-2, with both losses coming at the hands of the Bruins.

I remember tuning the radio for that one, it was a complete smoke show. That Scott County team was nasty, wasn't that the Chiles/Bender led Bruins?

You forgot the 3 overtime

Game excuse that gets brought up with the Wes Jones argument.

Paintsville has some good teams in the late 80s that lost to Ballard. Russellville has some nice teams in early 2000s.

I didn't bring that up because thats a "normal" part of the game. Had they lost Jones to injury, I for one, would say nothing, because that's a "normal"part of the game.

I remember tuning the radio for that one, it was a complete smoke show. That Scott County team was nasty, wasn't that the Chiles/Bender led Bruins?

Yeah, that was the Chiles/Bender team. They outshot Scott County 52% to 25% for the game. The Cardinals shot like, 10% from three point range. Those two teams played each other four times that season, with both teams winning twice.

One of the great S16 moments I was proud to be a part of. Henry Clay had a very talented group but Carlisle fought tooth and nail. Not too many schools the size of Carlise had the type of size they had with the Tyler brothers. I can still hear the tubas from Henry Clay's band while the fans chanted "Go Devils".

That Carlisle team finished 40-4 that year.

The 2012/2013 Cooper team lost on a 3 pointer at the buzzer vs. Holmes in the 9th regional semi-finals. Great shot by James Bolden but Holmes never gets the ball if the intentional foul instead of the common foul is called after Cooper steals the ball up by 2 or of course if free throws are made . Great game and great shot by Beetle that came down to the wire.