The BEST teams not to win

Did you see Baltimore Boys on ESPN...the closest game they had all year was against Carlisle County in the 1982 King of the BluegrassChampionship...17 points. Dunbar was the 1982-83 National Champions...three first round NBA draft picks...nine Division I players.

Yes I did.

and it was a single digit game in the 4th quarter.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you see Baltimore Boys on ESPN...the closest game they had all year was against Carlisle County in the 1982 King of the BluegrassChampionship...17 points. Dunbar was the 1982-83 National Champions...three first round NBA draft picks...nine Division I players.

Back when it was held in Lexington. :)

What a mistake in the research department at ESPN. If you don't know...they mentioned the KOB but said " Dunbar played in the King of the Bluegrass tournament in Lexington, Kenucky." The KOB has always been at Fairdale High School and it will never move to another site...this December will be the 37th.

I moved to Louisville 34 years ago and have made it out to Fairdale for at least part of the KOB most of the years I have lived here. A tremendous event. Please keep them coming, Coach.

00'-01' NewCath ( Ronny Dawn senior season) returned all but 1 starter from team year before that won region. Upset by Connor i believe in Region tournament. Highlands went on to win the 9th that season.

Honestly Scott probably should've won the 9th Region that year. They had beaten NCC in the regular season and was ranked in the top 15 in the state. If Jamie Medved had not gotten hurt at the end of the regular season against Conner, I believe it would've been the Eagles that went to Rupp that year.

2007/08 Bryan Station team. Shelvin Mack, Dacoby Burnett, Terrell Combs, Montell Morones. Very fun team to watch.

Only loses on the season were to Mason Co. first game of the season & a loss to Scott Co. They lost in the Region finals to Lexington Catholic.

More than one person has told me that Shelvin had the flu that game.

Catholic went on to lose to Holmes in the Sweet 16 semifinals & Mason Co. won it all.

This is past everyone’s time. But I truly believe is was the 1944 Brooksville Polar Bears. Adolph Rupp said they were one of the greatest high school basketball teams he had ever seen play. He said individually they were average, but when they played together they were outstanding. That’s why he offered all 5 starters scholarships to Kentucky, hasn’t been done before, and hasn’t been done since. Adolph Rupp signed five starters from Brooksville in 1944 | Sports perspectives with ron bailey | maysville-online.com