Who is the best QB in Northern Kentucky football history?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry but if he didn’t screw up Zeke Pike would have been one of the best qbs to make it out of KY. NFL body and arm .... mindset whole different story.

Vastly overrated in my opinion. Had the tools but was his own worse enemy.

Tanner Morgan from Ryle class of 2017 is at Minnesota. He had tremendous numbers and should be on this list.

This is from the Gophers website.

HIGH SCHOOL: Attended Ryle High School in Union, Kentucky where he played as a junior and a senior (played as a freshman and sophomore at Hazard High School in Hazard, Kentucky) before enrolling at Minnesota in January 2017 • wore No. 2 for the Raiders • as a senior, passed for 2,747 yards and 27 touchdowns as team finished with a 12-1 record and reached the 6-A state quarterfinals • rushed for 320 yards and five touchdowns en route to being named a finalist for Kentucky's Mr. Football award • as a junior, threw for 2,674 yards and 21 touchdowns • rushed for 156 yards and two scores • at Hazard, he combined to pass for 4,990 yards and 56 touchdowns as a freshman and sophomore • one of only few Kentucky high school quarterbacks to pass for more than 10,000 yards in his career • consensus three-star recruit according to ESPN, Rivals, Scout and 247 Sports • ESPN and 247 Sports both listed him as the No. 41 recruit at his position • Rivals and 247 Sports ranked him as the No. 5 player in Kentucky, while ESPN had him at No. 7 • Scout tabbed him as the No. 2 quarterback in Kentucky, the No. 8 signal-caller in the Midwest and as the No. 141 prospect in the Midwest •

I have seen most of these guys in high school. I am only basing my opinion on what they were like in high school, not what they accomplished afterwards. I put AJ Mayer right in the mix as the best. He has a bit of an advantage in that offenses have evolved to a higher level over the past 20 years so he is doing things that some of the other top quarterbacks did not have available while in high school. I am going to think about this a little longer before posting my ranking but I'll be shocked if AJ is not at least in the top three.

I would take Jared Lorenzen and not think twice. And I'm most assuredly not a Highlands guy.

There are a lot of very good ones that have come from this relatively small region (130,000 adults, or thereabouts), but I'd say the line forms squarely behind Jared.

I agree, Gino does make it interesting because arguably he had the better pro career, but it was in arena ball so......, I am of the mind that you could say Jared 1, Gino 2, or Gino 1, Jared 2, or Gino & Jared both #1 and not really be wrong.

As a HIGH SCHOOL QB, based on the era, CovCath’s Adam McCormick deserves recognition. Later on Dixie’s Matt O’Toole was awesome. Only QB with a win over Trinity besides Gino.

Wasn't it 2004? If so, Greg Preston was the Dixie QB .

Jared changed the game up here. Before him 1800 yards at 14 passing TDS was a big year. After him, all expectations of a huge year changed. He was the first passing QB up here that put up numbers like Chris Redman and Tim Couch did. He really accelerated the evolution of high school QB for our area as a passer. Also, he would have rushed for 1000 yards if he had played more than 3/4s of the games due to blowing teams out.

Pilsbury Throwboy

Gino

AJ Mayer

Tanner Morgan

In that order IMO

I would have Barker ahead of Morgan. Both were great qbs. I think some people forget how good Barker was in High School based off him not doing much in college so far. He imo had talent around but not as much talent as Morgan had around him, and still put up amazing numbers and led the team.