One Big Stadium in Jefferson County

THS2011

I've been involved in a few conversations about having one large stadium, one like they have in Dallas or Katy, TX, for multiple teams to play. The old cinemas on Bardstown Rd (where the Costco is now) would have been a perfect location for this. Teams like Seneca, Jtown, Shawnee, Iroquois, and I'm sure a few others could ditch their home field in lieu of a mega stadium. Anyone else think this could be considered? Obivously not nearly as big as the Texas stadiums but the same concept.

http://abc13.com/sports/the-crown-jewel-katy-isd-unveils-new-$70m-stadium-/2319218/

That’s Right, $63 Million for a Football Stadium … for High Schoolers - The New York Times

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do they fill their stadiums now? I haven't attended a Louisville area football game in a long time, but I would be surprised if a Seneca/J'town game would have 1000 fans. That doesn't warrant a gigantic stadium.

I appears 4-5 schools draw very well regularly and those teams use Papa John many times.

Kentucky football is not Texas football in excitement or fan drawing appeal, not even close.

Just doesn't seem a fiscally responsible thing to do.

There are very few things I dislike more when it comes to sports than watching a big time HS football game played in a 75% empty stadium. I get the excitement for the players, but the atmosphere is always better when you play at a regular HS field and fill it to max capacity. Just my opinion.

What I mean is for the teams that do not draw big crowds, abandon their home fields and play there games in a big stadium. Such as a double header on Friday night and Saturday. Or 3/4 games on Saturday.

I think there is a legitimate argument for something like this. Those schools don't draw much by way of crowds and maintenance is probably more expensive than money brought in. A centrally located stadium that each school (or JCPS) put money toward and then used for games might make more fiscal sense. It wouldn't have to be huge, but a 2,000 seat stadium with turf would benefit those programs.

Kentucky football is not Texas football in excitement or fan drawing appeal, not even close.

I know its apples and oranges, but many Texas school districts have stadiums that are used by multiple schools. Jefferson County might be wise to take a look at something similar, although with a much smaller capacity.

This wouldn't necessarily need to be a big, giant stadium. Maybe something that seats 3 or 4 thousand. There was a similar stadium in the state I'm from, that was exactly what is mentioned here. Used by 4 or 5 schools for football and other sports (soccer, track, lacrosse). During football season, there would be one game Friday night, and possibly a couple on Saturday. Of course coming up with the location and who would manage and take care of the facility would be an issue. But done correctly this wouldn't need to be a huge money pit, and could potentially save money in the long run.

JCPS has talked about this and its a real possibility. The issue they have is so many schools, it would take decades to upgrade them all. However take a few sites and upgrade the stadiums and let multiple teams play there. Obviously money is an issue and I believe they wanted to do 4 at once, if they were going to do it.

Its a great idea.

They would still have their home practice sites, and other events would be schedule as they are now, just gets a little tighter.

Other than T and X, what program(s) can really fill up a stadium? I don't get down to Louisville much, but in Lexington, once basketball starts, the football stadiums are empty, even in the playoffs!

Great idea. Currently the largest stadiums in JCPS are Male and Manual. Both schools have alumni that want to add turf but for some reason (never got a clear answer) it still hasn't happpened. The cost of maintenance alone should convince the powers at be to look at alternatives. Facilities are terrible district wide. I'm sure they'll want to upgrade old school buildings before athletics. However, they did invest in Valley and that was dumb in my opinion. It is sooooo far from the rest of the other schools. Ballard or Eastern are are easy 45 minute drives.

Other than T and X, what program(s) can really fill up a stadium? I don't get down to Louisville much, but in Lexington, once basketball starts, the football stadiums are empty, even in the playoffs!

Male, Manual, PRP, Ballard, Fern Creek, Eastern all have very very solid support from their fan base.

It's as good there (maybe even more at some of the above) as it is at most places in the state.

Again, this doesn't have to be a giant stadium. Something that seats in the neighborhood or 3,000 people or so would be plenty.