Playing 6A Schools

CAL FAN

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2A schools always tout how many 6A schools they play, but lets face it the majority of the 33 6A schools are not very good. We all know the few exceptions that are outstanding from year to year.

Where are you going with this? Sounds like there's a comparison being made that you don't like.

Of course not all 6A schools are equal. Many of those 6A county schools came about as a result of a merger of a handful of small county schools, most of which usually had just enough guys to field a basketball team. Most, of course, are terrible at football and are regularly beaten up by their much smaller city school neighbors, most of whom have been playing football for 100 years. Without looking it up, half of 6A is probably in this boat.

My point is just because a smaller school plays a 6A team it is not a feather in their cap. I see 2A and 3A teams ranked in the top 10 or 15 touting that they beat a 6A school ranked in the mid 70s. Just an observation on my part. Not knocking any 6A schools here.

Where are you going with this? Sounds like there's a comparison being made that you don't like.

Of course not all 6A schools are equal. Many of those 6A county schools came about as a result of a merger of a handful of small county schools, most of which usually had just enough guys to field a basketball team. Most, of course, are terrible at football and are regularly beaten up by their much smaller city school neighbors, most of whom have been playing football for 100 years. Without looking it up, half of 6A is probably in this boat.

Spot on. Taking Mayfield as an example (grew up and live nearby), if they never had a football program and started up now, they probably wouldn't be very good. Instead, we see what years and years of tradition and a stable coaching staff can do for you. So how can you expect ANY newer school -- 6A, 5A, whatever -- to compete with what they've built over many years?

Yes, I'm a McCracken fan and consider the fact that the Mustangs have two wins and two very close losses in five meetings pretty impressive no matter that 6A McCracken has MANY more students to pick from. I'm sure it's the same elsewhere.

So, yes, we need to cease with the notion that 6As should beat 2As (or 3As, 4As, etc.) everytime they play. Not all 2As (or 6As) are equal.

My point is just because a smaller school plays a 6A team it is not a feather in their cap. I see 2A and 3A teams ranked in the top 10 or 15 touting that they beat a 6A school ranked in the mid 70s. Just an observation on my part. Not knocking any 6A schools here.

It's a win/win. If they win "look at us (even though they're not on the team) beating a 6A school." If they lose "well it's a 6A school and they got all these numbers to draw from and we only have 250 boys in our school."

It's a win/win. If they win "look at us (even though they're not on the team) beating a 6A school." If they lose "well it's a 6A school and they got all these numbers to draw from and we only have 250 boys in our school."

I'm gonna say that's not really how it works in a lot of places. Bardstown has historically dominated Nelson Co., and it's an embarrassment if they lose to the Cardinals.

I'm guessing that applies in Mayfield v. Graves Co., and a lot of other places in this state.

I'm gonna say that's not really how it works in a lot of places. Bardstown has historically dominated Nelson Co., and it's an embarrassment if they lose to the Cardinals.

I'm guessing that applies in Mayfield v. Graves Co., and a lot of other places in this state.

Do you think it's more about (in those towns you mentioned), if you're good at football you end up at the smaller school with history most of the time and the kids that are less talented going to the other school? If I were a parent of a stud player and I lived in Graves or Nelson County, I'd see to it that my son went to Bardstown or Mayfield.

Do you think it's more about (in those towns you mentioned), if you're good at football you end up at the smaller school with history most of the time and the kids that are less talented going to the other school? If I were a parent of a stud player and I lived in Graves or Nelson County, I'd see to it that my son went to Bardstown or Mayfield.

Sure. Established tradition means a lot. Somerset used to never lose football players to Pulaski Co., but that has changed a bit since Southwestern opened and the county schools upped their game (but Somerset has remained a big player).

Whitley Co. could be a lot better if Williamsburg closed. Same goes for PCC when it comes to Hazard. Johnson Central only in the last decade became a major player, since Paintsville historically got the best football players.

Those are just examples isolated to SEKy.

If you look at roster size, there is 6A teams with less kids than top 2A teams. Winning tradition attracts good players regardless of class. You can find good or bad opponents in any class. I think on average the bigger class is going to be better. I would say the 5 worst 2A schools would get beat by the 5 worst 6A schools, and 5 best 6A schools will beat 5 best 2A schools.

I agree with you tiger, but this was not what this thread was about. It was about good small schools beating bad large schools and then acting like the had just beaten Trinity, Male, St X or Simon Kenton.

Easy set up for a jab at Simon Kenton but I'm going to pass.

If, as the gist of this thread seems to imply in my mind anyway, size of student body doesn't matter then why classify based on that alone?

Wouldn't a better classification be based on a combination of both size and history of success (or lack there of)?