ESPN is reporting Burfict suspended 5 games.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

99% of the time this hit wouldn't cause a suspension but the only reason it did was who was involved. I garuntee you that if JJ Watt did the exact same thing it wouldn't even be mentioned. IF anything it would show up on JJ's highlight reel saying what a force he is etc.

No other player in the league would have been suspended for that legal hit period.

But if JJ Watt did this and worse week after week after week, JJ Watt would be getting the same treatment. Burfict likes to take cheap shots. The NFL does not want cheap shots being taken on players. Yes, you are right. This particular hit is very borderline on being a cheap shot but when it is a guy who has been scolded repeatedly not to take cheap shots and he does it, then the leash is very short.

He hit him square, 1 yard down the field. Perfectly legal hit. It's on the FB for not turning his head. He didn't hit him in the head. Not dirty. Just aggressive play.

Completely unnecessary. He was a receiver, looking back towards his QB. The "head on a swivel" line, has always been a way to justify blindside hits by blaming the guy that got hit. Using the "head on a swivel" logic, when exactly should a receiver look back for the ball? The ball was in the air (heading much further down the field), the guy wasn't a threat to Burfict, and neither were going to be further involved in the play. This was cheap.

Completely unnecessary. He was a receiver, looking back towards his QB. The "head on a swivel" line, has always been a way to justify blindside hits by blaming the guy that got hit. Using the "head on a swivel" logic, when exactly should a receiver look back for the ball? The ball was in the air (heading much further down the field), the guy wasn't a threat to Burfict, and neither were going to be further involved in the play. This was cheap.

Unnecessary and even cheap don't make it illegal, though.

But if JJ Watt did this and worse week after week after week, JJ Watt would be getting the same treatment. Burfict likes to take cheap shots. The NFL does not want cheap shots being taken on players. Yes, you are right. This particular hit is very borderline on being a cheap shot but when it is a guy who has been scolded repeatedly not to take cheap shots and he does it, then the leash is very short.
So now we start fining and suspending players for legal play? when does it stop? And don't say when he stops dirty hits because he didn't have a dirty hit and he still got punished.

The NFL is a joke.

Burfict is a grade A tool bag, and the hit was completely unnecessary. That being said, 5 games is absurd.

I'll be shocked if it doesn't get reduced to about 2 games, which seems more appropriate.

If Burfict didn't have the history he does, he'd probably not get anything but a small fine. Price you pay for being a dirty player.

Unnecessary and even cheap don't make it illegal, though.

The play should have drawn a flag. The receiver was defenseless, and neither were involved or were going to be involved in the play, which was occurring further downfield.

I'm not sure I agree with a long suspension, but, Burfict's past history will prevent him from getting the benefit of doubt.

The play should have drawn a flag. The receiver was defenseless, and neither were involved or were going to be involved in the play, which was occurring further downfield.

I'm not sure I agree with a long suspension, but, Burfict's past history will prevent him from getting the benefit of doubt.

It's a legal hit. How can you throw a flag on a legal hit? The receiver was not defenseless.

If Burfict didn't have the history he does, he'd probably not get anything but a small fine. Price you pay for being a dirty player.

This is exactly why he will be suspended. Ignoring these facts because someone doesn't like the consequences is silly. Burfict has created this image all on his own.

Was Sherman considered "downfield" or was he within 5 yards? I could understand a penalty for unnecessary roughness, but a 5 game suspension is pretty steep...even considering the player involved.

He was ~2 yards downfield. Well within the 5 yard range.

This is exactly why he will be suspended. Ignoring these facts because someone doesn't like the consequences is silly. Burfict has created this image all on his own.

That's exactly why he is suspended. I don't think anybody would disagree with you there.