August 28, 20179 yr Then what's the argument? A dirty player makes another dirty play and is suspended. Pretty cut and dry. I'm not so sure it was a dirty play, but it was definitely unnecessary. Supposedly the KC player told him "nice hit" when he helped him up. :idunno: But we agree, no way does a guy like Burfict ever get the benefit of the doubt here. He used up all benefit a long time ago.
August 28, 20179 yr How was it bush league? There was nothing dirty about it. He didn't run at a guy, the FB was coming into him and it's not Burficts fault if he didn't see Vontez. Vontez just hit him with his shoulder and there was no targeting or anything else with the hit. Again, there are much worse hits in EVERY game across the league and not a word is said. It is only because it's Burfict that they went seeking for an excuse to suspend him period. It was bush league because he had absolutely no reason to hit the guy. Feel free to defend Burfict in this case, but I'll be the Bengals fan that will take off my orange and black glasses for a second and say that the hit was completely unnecessary and in my mind, Bush League. And I agree, that most other players wouldn't have been suspended for it. All the more reason he shouldn't have done it. He has a target on his back. No need for this.
August 28, 20179 yr Then what's the argument? A dirty player makes another dirty play and is suspended. Pretty cut and dry. It's a legal play. That's the argument. Any other player makes the hit and he isn't suspended. It's not even looked at by the NFL.
August 28, 20179 yr It's a legal play. That's the argument. Any other player makes the hit and he isn't suspended. It's not even looked at by the NFL. Continue to ignore his pattern of behavior if you want. When you act/play the way he does, you don't get the benefit of the doubt. It's that simple.
August 28, 20179 yr Bottom line: witch hunt or not... 2 games or 5 games... the Bengals are screwed! He's as important a player on this team as Dalton or Green imo... Those of you that say "move on from him"... that's fine. I don't begrudge you of the right to that opinion... But, let's be real... he's the best player on their defense and his presence alone adds up to at least a few wins a season... at least. 5 games will likely guarantee they miss the playoffs.
August 28, 20179 yr It's a legal hit. How can you throw a flag on a legal hit? The receiver was not defenseless. The receiver was looking back towards the quarterback, and did not have a chance to avoid the blow. There was no way the guy could defend himself. Also, the contact was well away from the play, and served zero purpose. And again, you can't use the "head on a swivel" argument. In the NFL rules, It's up to the player initiating the contact to avoid the illegal contact. The play should have drawn a flag.
August 28, 20179 yr Continue to ignore his pattern of behavior if you want. When you act/play the way he does, you don't get the benefit of the doubt. It's that simple. The correct statement is "any player with no history of these types of hits wouldn't get suspended". If you've got a long track record of this sort of thing, (like Burfict), you're probably getting a few games off without pay.
August 28, 20179 yr The receiver was looking back towards the quarterback, and did not have a chance to avoid the blow. There was no way the guy could defend himself. Also, the contact was well away from the play, and served zero purpose. And again, you can't use the "head on a swivel" argument. In the NFL rules, It's up to the player initiating the contact to avoid the illegal contact. The play should have drawn a flag. I agree with you. I also think this officials crew should be suspended for a game as well for missing this.
August 28, 20179 yr I agree with you. I also think this officials crew should be suspended for a game as well for missing this. I don't. It happens.
August 28, 20179 yr Continue to ignore his pattern of behavior if you want. When you act/play the way he does, you don't get the benefit of the doubt. It's that simple. Im not denying his past play. I'm denying that this play was anything where his past transgressions should come into play. It's just a football play.
August 28, 20179 yr The receiver was looking back towards the quarterback, and did not have a chance to avoid the blow. There was no way the guy could defend himself. Also, the contact was well away from the play, and served zero purpose. And again, you can't use the "head on a swivel" argument. In the NFL rules, It's up to the player initiating the contact to avoid the illegal contact. The play should have drawn a flag. If you are less than 5 yards downfield you can hit a player as long as the hit is legal which it was. Doesn't matter if he is intended reciever or not.
August 28, 20179 yr I agree with you. I also think this officials crew should be suspended for a game as well for missing this. What about the play was illegal? More than 5 yards downfield? Nope. Hit to the head? Nope. Lead with crown of helmet? Nope. Hit him from side or back? Nope. Defenseless player? Nope because he's a yard off the line of scrimmage if he's defenseless there then we aren't watching football anymore.
August 28, 20179 yr And we know you can't count on him in games either because he will do something stupid at some point, get a penalty at the wrong time, cost the team a playoff game ... I have no problem if they move on from him. But we know there is zero chance of that happening. I'm trending your way even though I don't want to. I want the Bengals to have a monster on defense but doggone he HAS to be smarter.
August 28, 20179 yr Bottom line: witch hunt or not... 2 games or 5 games... the Bengals are screwed! He's as important a player on this team as Dalton or Green imo... Those of you that say "move on from him"... that's fine. I don't begrudge you of the right to that opinion... But, let's be real... he's the best player on their defense and his presence alone adds up to at least a few wins a season... at least. 5 games will likely guarantee they miss the playoffs. I don't think he'll get 5 games. I think it gets appealed to 2-3. But either way those first 3 games are the most important stretch of the whole season. They are just going to have to tread water while he is out.
August 28, 20179 yr If you are less than 5 yards downfield you can hit a player as long as the hit is legal which it was. Doesn't matter if he is intended reciever or not. And even if we agree, you know the NFL is constantly watching his every move. While I don't want him to downshift that motor, he's just got to be a little smarter. And I know it's hard for a guy that goes all out to alter his play.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.