August 28, 20179 yr So I would like for you and Deuce to call out every defensive player this year that touches a receiver that is coming across the middle that doesn't get the ball. Lets see how many times the NFL suspends any player other than Burfict for hitting a player coming across the middle especially when they are in the 5 yard zone where it is legal to hit a player. I'm willing to bet that it doesn't happen this season unless it is head to head hit or targeting. Which Burfict's hit was neither. This wasnt a touch.
August 28, 20179 yr So I would like for you and Deuce to call out every defensive player this year that touches a receiver that is coming across the middle that doesn't get the ball. Lets see how many times the NFL suspends any player other than Burfict for hitting a player coming across the middle especially when they are in the 5 yard zone where it is legal to hit a player. I'm willing to bet that it doesn't happen this season unless it is head to head hit or targeting. Which Burfict's hit was neither. I have no problem calling out this type of play. It's cheap and dangerous, and not relevant to a play that's happening down the field. Normally, I don't think this is suspension worthy though. Again, looking at Burfict's history, his leash is going to be much shorter.
August 28, 20179 yr Do you think Swanson qualified as a defenseless receiver under the rules? Here is a link to the rule itself: Defenseless Player | NFL Football Operations If you watch the video, the play where the Bronco's WR gets hit by the Seahawk's safety is what the NFL would say is the same play: he's no longer a part of the play but he hits him anyway.
August 28, 20179 yr Your stuck on his head being turned. Just because your head is turned doesn't mean you're defenseless, especially when the ball isn't coming your way. Not looking, ball not coming his way, but not dirty. :lol2:
August 28, 20179 yr I think this was a football play and not worthy of suspension (much less five games) but the NFL has a new rule this year that makes this an illegal hit on a defenseless receiver. Sucks but it is what it is at this point with Vontaze. Here is the wording from Article 7, Section a, part 2 where the league lists players who qualify as defenseless: A receiver running a pass route when the defender approaches from the side or behind. If the receiver becomes a blocker or assumes a blocking posture, he is no longer a defenseless player.
August 28, 20179 yr I think this was a football play and not worthy of suspension (much less five games) but the NFL has a new rule this year that makes this an illegal hit on a defenseless receiver. Sucks but it is what it is at this point with Vontaze. Here is the wording from Article 7, Section a, part 2 where the league lists players who qualify as defenseless: A receiver running a pass route when the defender approaches from the side or behind. If the receiver becomes a blocker or assumes a blocking posture, he is no longer a defenseless player. Thanks for posting, I was looking for this.
August 28, 20179 yr Author Unnecessary roughness on an unsuspecting player. He knew what he was doing. Dirty. That exact hit happens every single game by every team. When linebackers get a chance to hit a receiver going across the middle when they are less than 5 yards from the los they do it. Every single game it happens, and every single game it's not called just like it wasn't in this one. It's not even usually fined, much less a suspension. If this was an illegal hit then there should be fines and suspensions every single game because linebackers do that every game. Who he is, is the reason this even became a story. Even the Chiefs didn't even say anything about it, even though most players would if they feel Burfict was even close to doing something dirty.
August 28, 20179 yr Author I think this was a football play and not worthy of suspension (much less five games) but the NFL has a new rule this year that makes this an illegal hit on a defenseless receiver. Sucks but it is what it is at this point with Vontaze. Here is the wording from Article 7, Section a, part 2 where the league lists players who qualify as defenseless: A receiver running a pass route when the defender approaches from the side or behind. If the receiver becomes a blocker or assumes a blocking posture, he is no longer a defenseless player. Thanks for posting, I was looking for this. Makes sense then. With it a new rule they seem to be making an example out of him. When in reality since it's a new rule it should have been a fine and used this play as an example of what's no longer aloud.
August 28, 20179 yr I'm of the opinion that any punishment is too much for this hit. I mean for crying out loud, the guy is a MLB didn't go after the head and didn't spear the guy's knees. Still, 5 games??? That's more than a quarter of the season for a hit people can't even agree should have resulted in a flag in a preseason game.
August 28, 20179 yr If this FB was flaring out for a screen, the LB is going out to cover him and the QB releases the ball, can he go ahead and de-cleat him? I don't know. Can he decapitate him? How bout clothes line him, or even rip his head around by the face mask. Seeing how none of them happened, why are you making things up?
August 28, 20179 yr If it's a new rule, fine. I can live with a fine. But 5 games? So I am expecting anytime this rule is broken this year it should at least be 1 game suspension for anyone other than Burfict. If you are giving Burfict 5 games for a new rule violation which again wasn't a dirty hit nor leading with head etc. then any other player who hits any receiver who isn't looking at him should be at least 1 game suspension period. Good thing Hines Ward isn't still playing. He'd be gone for an entire season.
August 28, 20179 yr If it's a new rule, fine. I can live with a fine. But 5 games? So I am expecting anytime this rule is broken this year it should at least be 1 game suspension for anyone other than Burfict. If you are giving Burfict 5 games for a new rule violation which again wasn't a dirty hit nor leading with head etc. then any other player who hits any receiver who isn't looking at him should be at least 1 game suspension period. Good thing Hines Ward isn't still playing. He'd be gone for an entire season. Multiple offenders tend to get treated much harsher than 1st timers. That's just the way the system works. While I think 5 games is too much, his past behavior is certainly playing a part in this current situation.
August 28, 20179 yr It can still be bush league and well within the rules of the game. They do not have to be mutually exclusive.
August 28, 20179 yr Not looking, ball not coming his way, but not dirty. :lol2: It wasn't dirty. Unnecessary, but not dirty.
August 28, 20179 yr It can still be bush league and well within the rules of the game. They do not have to be mutually exclusive. I tend to agree with you. I for one don't think Bush League is punishable.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.