Stolen Cars

Bengal Maniac

I was reading this article/presentation on the city with the most stolen cars in each state. The cities where they were stolen was not surprising. It generally matched the city that had the most crime.

What was odd was the type of autos stolen. Almost all were between 1997-2003 models, pretty evenly divided between cars like a Honda Civic or a full size pick up.

Somebody make sense out of that to me. I have to be missing something obvious.

I would have thought models within the last 3-4 years and nice mid-size or pickups.

I was reading this article/presentation on the city with the most stolen cars in each state. The cities where they were stolen was not surprising. It generally matched the city that had the most crime.

What was odd was the type of autos stolen. Almost all were between 1997-2003 models, pretty evenly divided between cars like a Honda Civic or a full size pick up.

Somebody make sense out of that to me. I have to be missing something obvious.

I would have thought models within the last 3-4 years and nice mid-size or pickups.

03-07 are the cars where the high dollar parts are starting to break down. Take the high dollar parts off the stolen car, then sell the rest for scrap metal. But I'm just spitballing, I know nothing of that world/business. :lol2:

03-07 are the cars where the high dollar parts are starting to break down. Take the high dollar parts off the stolen car, then sell the rest for scrap metal. But I'm just spitballing, I know nothing of that world/business. :lol2:

I'm pretty sure this is it. No one steals a car to keep it and drive it around. They are stolen for thier parts in most all cases.

This is the reason. They steal the popular cars and part them out.

One other thing to consider is theft is often a crime of opportunity. There are simply more older cars, and those older cars usually have less sophisticated anti theft systems, if any at all. If you need a car quick, are you taking the brand new luxury car with tracking devices, immobilizers etc, or an older car with no real protection other than the lock?? With the average age of the car on the road around 11 years, older car are simply easier, more available targets.

Most people who own an 03-07 hope their car is stolen so they make it an easy target. :idunno:

I thought that, but they probably have no car payments with really low insurance. They won't get a lot for their stolen car and most will probably have to buy a car and then start the payments again.

I thought that, but they probably have no car payments with really low insurance. They won't get a lot for their stolen car and most will probably have to buy a car and then start the payments again.
I have a 2005 Tundra. I would get more from Insurance then I would for a trade. If I wanted a new vehicle the best case for me is if my truck gets stolen. Yeah I could probably sell it for the same but that's always a crap shoot.