Songs you haven't heard in a long time until......

Similar story. My mom has always been crazy about Tom. Mom and stepdad went to see Tom in Lexington back in the seventies. Got into a big fight later that evening on the way home. He ripped up mom's program . He slept on the couch for about a week.

True Story:

In 1969 I was 5 and the Tom Jones Show was on TV, and three of my immediate older sisters (9, 12, & 13) where jumping up and down raving about him, and then they lined up to one by one kiss the TV screen.

Well whaddaya know, I got right in line behind them, and kissed the screen too.

My sisters immediately scorned me with screams of "Ewe yuck, you're a boy, you're not supposed to do that, that's sissy!!!"

Though I retreated to the couch blushing and embarrassed, I thought to myself, "Why not, I like him too?", and I'll always remember it as the first time that I realized that It was not going to go over very well If I ever showed any outward displays of adoration towards members of my same sex, so from then on I kept it bottled up until I was 20 years old, and when I came out to the family my siblings were all shocked, and not one of them ever remembered me kissing the television, but I sure do.

True Story:

In 1969 I was 5 and the Tom Jones Show was on TV, and three of my immediate older sisters (9, 12, & 13) where jumping up and down raving about him, and then they lined up to one by one kiss the TV screen.

Well whaddaya know, I got right in line behind them, and kissed the screen too.

My sisters immediately scorned me with screams of "Ewe yuck, you're a boy, you're not supposed to do that, that's sissy!!!"

Though I retreated to the couch blushing and embarrassed, I thought to myself, "Why not, I like him too?", and I'll always remember it as the first time that I realized that It was not going to go over very well If I ever showed any outward displays of adoration towards members of my same sex, so from then on I kept it bottled up until I was 20 years old, and when I came out to the family my siblings were all shocked, and not one of them ever remembered me kissing the television, but I sure do.

What a great story! Thanks for sharing. Tom was something else. Immense talent.

This one popped up on WNKU recently.

Haven't heard this early 90's gem by fantastic British band Catherine Wheel in quite awhile.

Saw these guys put on a killer show with another fantastic British band "Headswim" in 1997 and it blows my mind that it's already been 20 years.

Trivial tidbit:

Vocalist Rob Dickinson is the cousin of Iron Maiden's vocalist Bruce Dickinson.

Saw Rob perform this song again in 2005 when he was touring on his one and only solo record after Catherine Wheel split up after 5 releases between 1992-2000.

The late Jeff Buckley is the son of the late 60's/70's folk artist Tim Buckley who died of a drug overdose in 1975 at the age of 28.

Jeff died in 1997 at age 30 by drowning in the Wolf River Harbor, a slack water channel of the Mississippi River in Memphis while swimming on the evening he was planning to meet up with his bandmates to begin recording his second album.

Though everyone has now heard the late Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" a million times by a million different people, the first time I ever heard it was from Jeff's 1994 debut release Grace, which was also the first time that I had ever heard of Leonard Cohen. Had no idea that he was a renown beatnik poet/songwriter since the 60's.

I instantly fell in love with the song, but haven't heard Jeff's version in quite awhile and was pleasantly surprised when it came on in my car the other day while listening to WNKU.

Here's a fun one to sing along too that I haven't heard in awhile.

I'm really gonna miss WNKU. They definitely have a rotation of current material that keeps things fresh, but they're not the least bit shy about regularly playing tunes from any era between the 60's to now.

Here's Marcy Playground with their 1997 "sorta novelty hit"- "Sex and Candy"

[video=youtube;-KT-r2vHeMM]

Went to get the dog an ice cream. Can't be done at the Maysville McDonald's on Saturday evenings (twice I've tried and twice I've failed). Went to Sonic and heard this one along the way.

Gotta love Hal David & Burt Bacharach.

Heard this one on the way up to Richmond today. Was shocked to hear it on the radio. Haven't heard this song on radio for 25, maybe 30 years. This is a terrific rockin' little pop tune from Fogelberg." LOL" is uncharacteristically rockin' for Daniel, who is more known for his poetic ballads. He rocks in this one. Timothy B. Schmidt sang backup on this tune. The former Eagle toured with Dan in 2000. Fogelberg died in 2007 of cancer.

She says no

When she means yes

And what she wants

You know that I can't guess

When we want more

You know we ask for less

Such is the language of love

I say leave

When I mean stay

But she don't see

And so she moves away

What we really want

You know we rarely say

It's tooth for tooth

And eye for eye

We hide our hearts

And then we won't say why

It's truth for truth

And lie for lie

One cries foul

And will not speak

The other claims a little victory

And all the time

You know we fail to see

This is the language of love

When a loves begins to wander

No one ever knows

But we feel it deep inside us

Long before it shows

Long before it shows

We hem and haw

We balk and bluff

Our words don't ever

Seem to say enough

But a simple smile

A tender touch

Speaks the true language of love

Edited by Science Friction

Considered one of the first psychedelic bands in the history of rock n' roll, from Austin, TX "The 13th Floor Elevators" put out 4 albums from 1965-1969.

Here is their highest of two charting singles "You're Gonna Miss Me" from 1966 which was considered vital in the history of garage rock, and the development of punk rock.

I hear a lot of Eric Burdon & the Animals in this tune.

Heard this today on WNKU while driving in my car.

Love that hot bass line....

[video=youtube;wMaHx5qke-Q]