Somerset @ Williamsburg

You confused me a little here. Are you saying that Somerset would be worse by playing the easier schedule? Are we comparing by teams played or better records against worse teams? :confused: I would think that by playing the Danville's and surviving that you have a better grasp of where you need to be come district time. The speed and strength of the better teams makes you play better/smarter football or get squashed. Lesser opponents makes for a good looking win/loss but does little to prepare you for the stronger and faster teams you will meet when it matters. I really don't see where the 4-1 record and the 1-4 record can be compared in this scenario. It has had to make Somerset better to play the teams they have.

This is almost sad but I agree with your last 2 post. I was just inquiring as to exactly what Red Zone was meaning and what he thought it would mean if the 2 teams had traded schedules.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They never stay on their side of the field , this year will be no different. Some of them come over and get upset at what they hear on the visitor's side when they do. When in Rome.........

Last I checked it's ALL thier home field. So I would assume they can sit and stand whereever they like. Seems like you would have better things to gripe about then where the Jacket fans stand/sit.

Last I checked it's ALL thier home field. So I would assume they can sit and stand whereever they like. Seems like you would have better things to gripe about then where the Jacket fans stand/sit.

Obviously you've never been a visitor during a game there. The bleachers are rickety, The visitors side is poorly lit, and there aren't enough bleachers to seat everyone if you bring a crowd. Very inhospitable too. Last year, they refused to allow our film crew to film fron the box. Sitting amongst the opposing team may be an attempt to intimidate, but all it does is show poor sportsmanship on the fans part, reflecting on the team. And if they do sit there, they deserve everything they hear. Most schools in our district treat visitors very well, couple places dont. Its an issue of class.

I agree with DragonPappy 100% with his statement. I have been to football games all over the state of Kentucky and have NEVER been treated as bad as I was two years ago in Williamsburg. The 20 some fans that came to the so called visitor side just wanted to start trouble and nothing more by yelling back and forth with other Jacket fans under the shelter in the west endzone.

I agree with DragonPappy 100% with his statement. I have been to football games all over the state of Kentucky and have NEVER been treated as bad as I was two years ago in Williamsburg. The 20 some fans that came to the so called visitor side just wanted to start trouble and nothing more by yelling back and forth with other Jacket fans under the shelter in the west endzone.

Jumper there are bad fans at every school...At Somerset 3 years ago we had 4 drunk teenagers on our side that were raising heck with the Wburg fans and cheerleaders...It took a call from our mayor to yours to have them removed after complaining to the Somerset AD got nothing done...I am sorry you were not treated well at Wburg...

I've never experienced bad sportsmanship from Williamburg. At least when they lose to you, they don't make excuses, like the field was dry or something about a middle school defense.

You're right they don't have many stands, but at Williamsburg the priority is on academics, they spend money on things to help a kid get an education not to make sure the visiting team's fans are comfortable!

Jumper there are bad fans at every school...At Somerset 3 years ago we had 4 drunk teenagers on our side that were raising heck with the Wburg fans and cheerleaders...It took a call from our mayor to yours to have them removed after complaining to the Somerset AD got nothing done...I am sorry you were not treated well at Wburg...

You are 100% correct!!! Any team has its share of bad and obnoxious fans...Somerset is no exception. I think that the difference here is for 1. These fans were not young inmature teenagers and 2. My particular incident did not involve a small number of adults but 15-20 on the visitor side and a larger amount in the west endzone shelter. These two groups yelled back and forth the whole game yelling things that can't be talked about here. The incident where we left involved a couple getting in my face telling me how dirty we here in Somerset teach our kids to play. I'm not sore with the Williamsburg people, however I don't want to be harassed again this year by the same people. In my book there are not one reason that adults from another team need to be on the visitor side starting trouble, those people are the ones that make a whole school look bad.

I've never experienced bad sportsmanship from Williamburg. At least when they lose to you, they don't make excuses, like the field was dry or something about a middle school defense.

You're right they don't have many stands, but at Williamsburg the priority is on academics, they spend money on things to help a kid get an education not to make sure the visiting team's fans are comfortable!

The fans of Somerset are not "They" as you refer too. Coach Cobb made those comments about Williamsburg not anyone else. I for one make no excuses when the Jumpers lose.

I feel right now that this game is for the district title imo, amd these may be the top two teams in the district this year, none of the other teams have impressed me yet, and imo this is as down I have seen the district since 2000. Right now I feel it is Somerset's to lose, and I would be shocked if they fall. I look for this one to high scoring game, and a qb shootout, but too much jumpers in the end.

Somerset 54

Williamsburg 41

Why do they call it the "VISITORS" side then? :confused:

I've seen them do it at other fields too, though. The same fans. Is that their field, too, just because they are there? :confused:

The fans of Somerset are not "They" as you refer too. Coach Cobb made those comments about Williamsburg not anyone else. I for one make no excuses when the Jumpers lose.

I'm not sure of your relationship to Somerset football Jumper1 but you are just as misinformed about the infamous quote as all the other internet posters. 2 years ago Coach Cobb was talking to a reporter and the reporter asked why Somerset couldn't run the ball as well on Williamsburg as they did on Danville two weeks before that. When replying Coach Cobb started talking about how the linebackers run around blocks and play and angle scheme.(the reporter had no clue what Coach Cobb was talking about of course) So Coach Cobb jokingly said "Well have you ever seen a middle school game when the kids run around blocks to get to the ball?" From then on the reporter only took that analogy from the entire conversation. The reality is that the Defensive Coordinator of Williamsburg at that time and Coach Cobb are very good friends so everyone is just blowing that quote way out of proportion. Anyone that knows Coach Cobb will tell you that he never makes excuses about a loss. When a kid plays for him they learn about facing adversity in life.

I hope to see a good game tonight between Somerset and Williamsburg. I hate to hear all this hatred between two teams when it boils down to the fact this is a game that high school kids play to have fun. Good luck to Both teams tonight and may it be played in a good atmosphere.