Isaiah Briscoe enters the NBA Draft & will hire an Agent

ZJH

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Briscoe wanted to leave last year and it was almost a miracle he even came back for a second year. He was gone this year regardless, so for those saying he should have stayed that was never even an option.

Personally I'm not sure he ever makes it. BUT, I will say that both of his years at Kentucky he was playing out of position. IMO, in a perfect scenario Briscoe is your lead guard (although he is more of a scoring guard or combo guard). For this years team I would have liked to see him come off the bench and back up Fox when Fox was not in the game, but this was never going to happen. Instead, Briscoe was asked to play on the wing and out of position because he was one of the best five and needed to be on the floor somewhere. He is not a wing, and was unable to really get the most out of his game playing off the ball. In the NBA he will only work as a third point guard and somebody who has to play with the ball in his hands, not an off the ball player as he was at UK.

We got to see him running the offense a little this year, zero last year, but in the NBA this would be his calling. So in that sense he may be able to turn himself into a 3rd guard who comes in, plays defense, drives, and dishes. He's not going to wow with handles or three point shot, but if Shelvin Mack can make it in the NBA, Briscoe may be able to stick with some experience and exposure. Most likely path is a year or two in the D-League, then I could see him catching on as a third guard somewhere or being a fringe guy that is overseas or in the D-League. With the lack of athleticism, poor shooting ability, and nothing about his game that really stands out I see Briscoe as like an Andre Miller type, and if he can do that for himself then he will have a nice career.

I am going to be honest. I don't see him playing overseas and getting paid a lot. What do teams want from American players? Size, great shooters??? What does he do that would get a fan base to root for him? He isn't worth paying a whole lot in a foreign country.

I wish him well. Can't blame anyone for following their dream.

He has a lifetime scholarship at UK and can comeback any time.

I think the average European salary is around $90,000. There are those that make a lot more. I think Miller was in the $320,000 range.

Keep in mind though, even at $90,000. That is all tax free, and most players are provided housing and expenses.

$90k with no taxes or expenses is a pretty good gig.

Briscoe would be wise to stay in college and earn a degree. I don't see any way that he even gets drafted and doesn't have the skill set to latch on a free agent. I personally think he's making a mistake but I wish him the best.

Marc Salyers, a guy a few years younger than me at Apollo played 13 years in Europe and had a pretty good career. Played college at Samford. I don't know what his salary was, but it seems like he made a pretty good living. Met and married a European model during this time from what I understand. Might not have made enough money to be set for life, but probably quite a bit more than I did during that same time and got paid to play a game he loves. Can't see what the downside would be for Briscoe if he follows a similar path.

Let's see.......no handle, can't shoot, tweener size wise, prone to turnovers, and slow......bad move by this young man and not even sure he can play in Euro League

And you played where to have such an expert opinion?

Most of these kids aren't able to see the big picture. Life goes by fast. There will be a time when they all wish they had more time in college.

Why should he stay in college?

Let's assume he plays professionally for 5-7 years and earns $2 million total. That's roughly $285K to $400K per season before he turns 29 years old. Not many 20-somethings earning that type of money with or without a college degree.

Why should he stay in college?

Let's assume he plays professionally for 5-7 years and earns $2 million total. That's roughly $285K to $400K per season before he turns 29 years old. Not many 20-somethings earning that type of money with or without a college degree.

I don't think he has a professional skill set but maybe he can develop into something. I wish him the best

Not sure, but it is not much. Like I am thinking less than $30,000.

The max D-League is $25,000.

A D-leaguer who signs a 10-day contract, $35,000, makes more in that period than they do the rest of the season.