Pitino or Calipari---Who Do You Like Best???

And as I have said before, I think it is worse in college basketball. College basketball coaches are the main focus of a program and are overly protected by administrations and media. College football coaches do not get near the latitude because the programs themselves are larger than the coaches.

Agreed.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And as I have said before, I think it is worse in college basketball. College basketball coaches are the main focus of a program and are overly protected by administrations and media. College football coaches do not get near the latitude because the programs themselves are larger than the coaches.

Im not sure I agree with this. I think the whole aspect of a "program" doesn't exist without great coaches. Bama, Ohio State, Michigan, and Florida State are all time great football programs, but I think all are in a situation right now where the coach is the program. All have had periods of great success in the past but also went through a period of relative irrelevancy until the current coaching staff got there. Some programs longer than others *cough* Michigan *cough*. Even Notre Dame has proven that it takes a generational coach to come in a turn it around and they have spent the better part of 3 decades now trying to find that guy. I don't think this is drastically different than college basketball.

Im not sure I agree with this. I think the whole aspect of a "program" doesn't exist without great coaches. Bama, Ohio State, Michigan, and Florida State are all time great football programs, but I think all are in a situation right now where the coach is the program. All have had periods of great success in the past but also went through a period of relative irrelevancy until the current coaching staff got there. Some programs longer than others *cough* Michigan *cough*. Even Notre Dame has proven that it takes a generational coach to come in a turn it around and they have spent the better part of 3 decades now trying to find that guy. I don't think this is drastically different than college basketball.
You are missing the point. I am not talking about value to a university or what a good coach can do on the field, but in college basketball coaches are much more insulated and shielded. It is not really a debate, just common knowledge.

Cal is a better and more friendly person. Pitino has always seemed like a total unfriendly jerk off. Too good to talk to a person. Cal is a people person.

I don't see Cal,doing to his wife what Pitino did to his. Scumbag ruined families and friendships for 12 seconds.

Never seems like that in any interview I've ever seen him. My mom wouldn't adore him if he was such a jerk off.... Then again, look at who she vot...... oops, can't go there.

Honestly I'm so cynical that I think once you get to the big time level, much like getting elected to congress, the money, attention and power are corrupting. I don't believe or trust any of them and have pretty much been turned off on college basketball. Coach K lost any credibility with the Grayson Allen situation. It's my opinion that NC got away with wrongdoing under Roy William's watch and much like Pitino and Cal he has pleaded ignorance. Look at Bruce Pearl. He was unofficially "blackballed" from coaching in D1 because while at Iowa as an assistant he turned in coaches at other schools for violations. Only after lots of success at Southern Indiana did he get a chance at a D1 school. A few short years later he was gone after violations were committed at Tennessee, but he's back.

Coaches that have been found guilty of violations are welcome back at other schools with open arms, provided they were successful. That applies in all major sports. College coaching has become a cess pool.

And just to throw this out there I would much rather spend time with Joe B. or Denny then either Pitino or Calipari.

Touche' . Good post.

Today I believe is the 25th anniversary of the Laettner shot in what many consider to be the greatest game in NCAA history. It's still to me the hardest Kentucky loss to handle. I saw it on the ESPN website I guess with Duke being eliminated from this years tourney they had to come up with some way to still talk about Duke. lol

You are missing the point. I am not talking about value to a university or what a good coach can do on the field, but in college basketball coaches are much more insulated and shielded. It is not really a debate, just common knowledge.

I think I understand your point, but I don't understand how you think Calipari and Coach K are more insulated and protected than Saban and Meyer are?

Today I believe is the 25th anniversary of the Laettner shot in what many consider to be the greatest game in NCAA history. It's still to me the hardest Kentucky loss to handle. I saw it on the ESPN website I guess with Duke being eliminated from this years tourney they had to come up with some way to still talk about Duke. lol

Wisconsin 2015 is the single worst loss in the history of UK basketball. Followed by the Laettner game.

Wisconsin 2015 is the single worst loss in the history of UK basketball. Followed by the Laettner game.

I tend to agree. History lost in 2015. I don't think we'll see that again in a long time.

I would say that is the greatest loss in the history of Kentucky basketball.

It was certainly Rupp's most painful loss. He never got over that cause the team wasn't even ranked going into the season.