Cooper 51 Fern Creek 44 (KHSAA Sweet 16 Semifinals)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll sure never again underestimate northern Kentucky teams that are in the tournament. I admit that I'm totally surprised that Scott came within a last second shot of defeating Bowling Green. I figured Bowling Green for a 20 point win.

I thought Fern Creek would defeat Cooper by at least 12.

One thing I've noticed over the years at the state tournament is the northern Kentucky teams are all sound in fundamentals. I really enjoyed watching both Scott and Cooper tonight.

I'll sure never again underestimate northern Kentucky teams that are in the tournament. I admit that I'm totally surprised that Scott came within a last second shot of defeating Bowling Green. I figured Bowling Green for a 20 point win.

I thought Fern Creek would defeat Cooper by at least 12.

One thing I've noticed over the years at the state tournament is the northern Kentucky teams are all sound in fundamentals. I really enjoyed watching both Scott and Cooper tonight.

The last five years have been good ones for NKY basketball. One state championship, three loses to eventual state champions (two of them in overtime), and this year's run by Cooper which will be at least a runner-up appearance.

Sullivan is tremendous. That said' date=' Adam [b']Kunkel is a D-I prospect [/b]and Braden Runyon is tremendously under-rated. Cooper is very talented.

Cooper/BG should be a great game. Both teams have great guard play and can make shots. Cooper is very hard to turn over, BG is very hard to stop in the half court.

Two very similar teams, and both played tough games tonight.

Easy to say "Cooper beat CovCath, and CovCath beat BG" - but it's never that easy. No clear advantage to either team.

I will say this - BG can't let Cooper control tempo. Cooper plays very well with a lead, and won't let BG stretch a lead.

I think this game is played in the low 60s, which favors Cooper.

Jags in a nail biter...

I'm not saying he's not, because I saw him in prior games. However, I do recall looking up at the stats on the corner scoreboard and noticing he had exactly 2 points while his team led by 10. That fact is mind-boggling. He made a massive impact on the game while scoring 4 points.

I read a lot about Cooper's D and how good it is but they didn't say it was this good.

The kicker is their offense became a great defense, in the weirdest possible way. Their incredible patience and willingness to make the extra pass had Fern Creek flummoxed. The Tigers had to work hard, for a minute at a time, to get possession back. And they rushed shots or settled for jumpers.

Cooper can totally do that to BG, even though I think BG has more weapons than FC.

The last five years have been good ones for NKY basketball. One state championship, three loses to eventual state champions (two of them in overtime), and this year's run by Cooper which will be at least a runner-up appearance.

Let's go back a few more years .... Holmes had a state championship, a loss in the finals and a loss in the semis from, I believe, 2006-2009. The ninth region has certainly held its own over the past dozen or so years .... this makes the fourth finals, and possibly the third state champion if Cooper prevails.

Go Jags!

Sullivan is tremendous. That said, Adam Kunkel is a D-I prospect and Braden Runyon is tremendously under-rated. Cooper is very talented.

Cooper/BG should be a great game. Both teams have great guard play and can make shots. Cooper is very hard to turn over, BG is very hard to stop in the half court.

Two very similar teams, and both played tough games tonight.

Easy to say "Cooper beat CovCath, and CovCath beat BG" - but it's never that easy. No clear advantage to either team.

I will say this - BG can't let Cooper control tempo. Cooper plays very well with a lead, and won't let BG stretch a lead.

I think this game is played in the low 60s, which favors Cooper.

Jags in a nail biter...

When Cov Cath jumped out to an 11-1 lead in the 9th Region Final. The most impressive thing was how calm Cooper stayed and just played their normal game and won by 13. It would be rare for them to get rattled.

I'm not saying he's not, because I saw him in prior games. However, I do recall looking up at the stats on the corner scoreboard and noticing he had exactly 2 points while his team led by 10. That fact is mind-boggling. He made a massive impact on the game while scoring 4 points.

For Cooper and Coach Sullivan it doesn't matter what level prospect you are. If the opposing team is trying to take one of the players out offensively that player is expected to impact the game in other ways. Cooper just does not rely on the so called prospect to win games for them like a lot of other teams do. Good to see Jim that you and college coaches see other ways that kids impact games when the opposing team is taking them out offensively. Kunkel and Coach Sullivan realized what was going on and he impacted the game in so many other ways other than his point total. This TEAM does not care who the high scorer is each game. They just want to win!!!!!

I read a lot about Cooper's D and how good it is but they didn't say it was this good.

You may have missed my post then, because I've said in these threads a couple of times already it's the best defensive team I have seen this year.