Powell vs. Lee matchup

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

powell will be strong this year, they have gone through alot and have really kind have come together, id say they will start off ruff like they always do, but by tourny time i am sure they will be in it for all of it

Lee Co. has a very talented senior based team, but so does Powell. Lee is ranked preseason #4 with Powell right behind them at #5 (Cat's Pause). Both teams have a good shot at the regional title, yet Lee's best oppurtunity was last season with the likes of Tyler Rich. If Fetters and Johnson can play big Lee will be fine. Romans, being a force downlow will be an obstacle for Fetters. The key to Powell's success will be taking advantage of what "seems" like a mismatch in the paint, and the outside shooting of Dennis and Merriman. If Lee can play good hard-nosed defense, it will make for a good game. Powell's defense has always been very aggressive in the past and has always caused trouble, if they can get both ends of the floor working simultaneously they will be a hard team to beat, IMO

Lee Co. has a very talented senior based team, but so does Powell. Lee is ranked preseason #4 with Powell right behind them at #5 (Cat's Pause). Both teams have a good shot at the regional title, yet Lee's best oppurtunity was last season with the likes of Tyler Rich. If Fetters and Johnson can play big Lee will be fine. Romans, being a force downlow will be an obstacle for Fetters. The key to Powell's success will be taking advantage of what "seems" like a mismatch in the paint, and the outside shooting of Dennis and Merriman. If Lee can play good hard-nosed defense, it will make for a good game. Powell's defense has always been very aggressive in the past and has always caused trouble, if they can get both ends of the floor working simultaneously they will be a hard team to beat, IMO

Could you post the 14th top ten in players and teams from the Cats' Pause.

Top 10 Players

1. Justin Hicks - Hazard

2. Clark Stepp - JBS

3. Kenny Brandenburg - Lee

4. Tyler Bailey - PCC

5. Daniel Neeley - Owsley (moved to Owen Co.)

6. Tate Cox - JBS

7. Zach Hurt - Cordia

8. Zach Gay - Buckhorn

9. Michael Campbell - Hazard

10. Ryan Romans - Powell

Top 10 Teams

1. Hazard

2. JBS

3. PCC

4. Lee

5. Powell

6. Leslie

7. Cordia

8. Buckhorn

9. LCC

10. Breathitt

• 3 weeks later...
Right, but did'nt Estill lose 7 seniors, and they're top scorer, Clinton Dixon?

Estill did lose seven seniors last year including three starters: Clinton Dixon, Jesse Puckett, Stuart Reese, Chad Aldridge, Zack Reagan, Austin Moore, and Chase McKinney.

Estill did lose seven seniors last year including three starters: Clinton Dixon, Jesse Puckett, Stuart Reese, Chad Aldridge, Zack Reagan, Austin Moore, and Chase McKinney.

But they have 4 of their top 7 back and are hungry and young. Maybe too young to realize that in other peoples minds they shouldn't contend ;)

But they have 4 of their top 7 back and are hungry and young. Maybe too young to realize that in other peoples minds they shouldn't contend ;)

Estill will contend. I believe that Berryman and Christopher are two of the better player's in the 14th. They are most definitely a threat on the 56th, especially as it is at a neutral site, Owsley County, this year. I really don't think anyone will overlook them. They will be at least as good either Lee or Powell, and to say that they can beat either is an understatement.

Before you make a statement, you need to look into a few things. Lee has 7 returning seniors, 5 of which would start anywhere in the region. Powell returns 11 seniors, most of which would start anywhere in the region. Powell on the other hand should have alot of leadership as that of Lee. To say the least, Berryman and Christopher are good players, but i can't see 2 players beating Powell or Lee handidly. If beating them is an understatement then Estill sounds like they should win the region. Lee #4, Powell #5 (pre-season) pole. I know you can't say much about a pre-season pole, but you can speak about reality, 2 players won't take you anywhere, but a TEAM will take you for a ride.

Before you make a statement, you need to look into a few things. Lee has 7 returning seniors, 5 of which would start anywhere in the region. Powell returns 11 seniors, most of which would start anywhere in the region. Powell on the other hand should have alot of leadership as that of Lee. To say the least, Berryman and Christopher are good players, but i can't see 2 players beating Powell or Lee handidly. If beating them is an understatement then Estill sounds like they should win the region. Lee #4, Powell #5 (pre-season) pole. I know you can't say much about a pre-season pole, but you can speak about reality, 2 players won't take you anywhere, but a TEAM will take you for a ride.

I don't think I said Estill would beat anyboy "handily". I hope Lee beats everybody. All I am saying is, underestimate Estill County at your own peril. Powell may be returning 11 players, but I need some convincing after watching them at the end of last season.

I don't think I said Estill would beat anyboy "handily". I hope Lee beats everybody. All I am saying is, underestimate Estill County at your own peril. Powell may be returning 11 players, but I need some convincing after watching them at the end of last season.

I agree that Lee is a very solid and experienced team. I think they may be hurting in the size category. Once again i will say that Lee will have a job of containing Romans downlow. Powell, as a whole, is much stronger around the basket. Although Lee is a fast past team, it will be interesting to see how Lively takes his coachin methods and uses them with the boys at Powell. Watching a Jackson City team that had 2 or 3 decent players go to the finals of the region makes me wonder how 11 will work out. I think Powell and Lee both have a good shot at the regional title and the atmosphere in district play will be competitive. Must say, im a fan of the 56th, i'd love to see either team go to Rupp.:dancingpa

I agree with three of Lee's seniors would start most anywhere in the region.

Estill is more than just Berryman and Christopher. They have a group of youngsters that are working very hard from what I hear. They are very much a team and will have to be this year - more so than in the past.

They like Lee, Powell, and Owsley are all searching for the right recipe for that district title. The good thing about a new year is that everyone starts from scratch and the last year doesn't matter. Everyone is 0-0 and I think it will be a very competitive district. I don't think any of these four teams are going undefeated in District play like Lee did last year. It will be an exciting year in the 56th.