Mercer Co 27 Boyle Co 14

FBALL

;)

Whoa where to start;) I've already had my say about what I thought about the student body from Mercer so I will not rehash my thoughts on that one and I will not comment on the other schools. Now on to our players. Wow...I wasn't aware the we were all this bad. I've watched these kids play and I could have sworn that I've seen kids playing their tails off and to be quite honest, I thought they held their own against everyone except Henry Clay (and not a lot of people will be able to do that). People are calling these kids young and inexperience because that's what they are. When you have a team full of underclassmen that's not a team with a lot of experience. Now onto the QB position. Perry is not horrible, he may need to work on his form some and he might need to learn not to be scared to take a hit but he isn't horrible. This kid can put up a lot of yards but to call him horrible, IMO, just isn't a fair statement. I have to admit that there is a lot of people who don't understand why Tamme was pulled from the QB position and a lot of people don't like that decision but it was a decision that the coach made and both of these kids, Perry and Tamme, did what the coach requested and what they thought would be best for the team. I think that's what they call being a team player. I am not going to discuss kid by kid but I will tell you this. My kid is a senior on this team. He played the whole game hurt friday night and never came out of the game once. He is a mountain of cuts, scraps, bruises, hand hurt, shoulder hurt, leg hurt but he never came out of that game and he never once complained to any coach or a trainer about how bad he hurt. This tells me that there are kids, him and a lot more, who do care about what they are doing. They care about the game, they care about the team and they are playing as hard as humanly possible, and IMO they are showing their heart and determination everytime they take a field. If anyone cares to hear my opinion here's what I think. I think Boyle County fans have been spoiled for so long that they can't get pass the thought that this team is 4-1 and they can't seem to find anyone else to blame, so they are now taking it out on these kids and that just isn't fair. I don't always agree with what the plays that the coaches call but then the last time I looked I wasn't the coach. I hardly ever agree with the calls that the refs make;) but then I'm not wearing that striped shirt. But I do know one thing, these kids have played some really really good teams and they have played them down to the last minute. These kids have heart and if some people can't see it, then they just need to stop trying to coach this team and look at what is really happening out there on that field. I can bet everyone this much. If for some reason this team makes it through the district and go onto the playoffs, the people who have been blasting these kids will be the first ones in line at the games telling everyone (now) just how good they are. I, of course, will be there and I will just keep on appreciated these kids for all their heart and for all the hard work that they have done (win or lose).:thumb:

:thumb: :thumb:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do agree with some parts of Burgandy's rant but not near half of it. I do believe that some players are missing the Boyle County type of mentality. Im not questioning their heart or how hard they play. The senior do need to lead, and when you have a young team, the seniors have to be the ones to show the way. This senior class is the only ones on this team with a state championship ring.

The talent is good, and i whole-heartedly believe that. There is no re-building in high school just re-tooling. I couldnt look a senior in the eye and tell him he doesnt have a chance because the team is in re-builidn mode. No, if you work hard enough and want it bad enough then things will happen for you. These Boyle kids are as big and athletic as past teams. There O-line is big for high school standards, people just need to start being accountable and make plays. That is why i love football, it is a game of accountability. You have to be there for your teammates each and every play, and if you slack up and dont do your job you are held accountable for the consequences during that play. You arent letting yourself down, you are letting the 10 other people on that field down, the coaches on the sideline, your teammates on the sideline, and every fan that religiously follows your team down. Its alot of pressure at a program like Trinity, X, Highlands, Russell, and Boyle, but the kids have to want to do it, and i believe that Boyle's kids do want to get it done.

While i agree that youth and inexperience is not a viable excuse (look at past state champ teams, the first in 1999 comes to mind and the last in 2003), but you have to give the kids more credit. At WR, Miller continually posts over 100 yardage games, and #12, the Enlow kid, caught 14 balls against Lafayette and like 9 against Mercer. He has made plays and caught about everything thrown to him. You are sorely mistaken if you think putting another freshman in there will help. O-Line is doing fine? They havent opened decent holes all year, Boyle hasnt ran the ball all year. And by the way, Aaron Waters doesnt anchor that line, the Hilton boy does. The kids work hard and the coaches know what they are doing, but the wins arent coming. Boyle fans need to calm down. They have played a tough schedule and when you expect perfection, alot of times you will be let down. Boyle has some holes, but they will be addressed. Give these players and coaches time to gel.

Boyle has always played hard and been in every game. The strength of Boyle has always been offensive strategy. Coach Pardue was one of the best playcallers in the state. Play calling should be a strength but instead it is a major deficiency(it has almost gotten laughable). With Pardue calling the plays, this team is 4-1 with a loss to Henry Clay, and everybody is praising Perry, Tamme, Miller, and the rest. But, hindsight is 20-20, so lets let the seniors lead, the junior and sophmores follow, the coaches coach, the officials officiate, and the fans.... well cheer i guess

While i agree that youth and inexperience is not a viable excuse (look at past state champ teams, the first in 1999 comes to mind and the last in 2003), but you have to give the kids more credit. At WR, Miller continually posts over 100 yardage games, and #12, the Enlow kid, caught 14 balls against Lafayette and like 9 against Mercer. He has made plays and caught about everything thrown to him. You are sorely mistaken if you think putting another freshman in there will help. O-Line is doing fine? They havent opened decent holes all year, Boyle hasnt ran the ball all year. And by the way, Aaron Waters doesnt anchor that line, the Hilton boy does. The kids work hard and the coaches know what they are doing, but the wins arent coming. Boyle fans need to calm down. They have played a tough schedule and when you expect perfection, alot of times you will be let down. Boyle has some holes, but they will be addressed. Give these players and coaches time to gel. Boyle has always played hard and been in every game. The strength of Boyle has always been offensive strategy. Coach Pardue was one of the best playcallers in the state. Play calling should be a strength but instead it is a major deficiency(it has almost gotten laughable). With Pardue calling the plays, this team is 4-1 with a loss to Henry Clay, and everybody is praising Perry, Tamme, Miller, and the rest. But, hindsight is 20-20, so lets let the seniors lead, the junior and sophmores follow, the coaches coach, the officials officiate, and the fans.... well cheer i guess

The Hilton kid plays both defense and offense and IMO is a very good football player. I just wish everyone would give them a chance:thumb: :thumb:

When i first saw him i never in my life thought he would be a good player, let alone a senior leader, two way starter. But, ive been wrong before.:creepy: Its circle the wagon time for BC. Nobody is expecting much from them, its time for them to get a chip on their shoulders and show all the nay-sayers that they are true Rebels.:thumb: :thumb:

Let me just say this about the atmosphere, and more the fans at the Boyle, Mercer game. I have played or been to some very hostile Environments, Louisville Central, in the heart of downtown Louisville where it was literally a scary environment with girls trying to sell us programs during our pregame Speech. I have also been to Paducah Tilghman, and Prestonsburg, but I have never once seen such poor class, as I saw out of the students at Mercer Co, I was literally shocked at the way they acted with nothing being done. They had students walking through our Boyle section, wearing nothing but boxer shorts holding up signs of mercer screaming into the faces of Boyle fans just sitting there warming up. I heard cursing from them, and rude and obscene jesters, and nothing was done about this. I must say I am ashamed of the way they acted. As a former player and a winner of a few state championships, I must say that we have been treated badly by fans as players, and student tried to intimidate us but this is the first time I have seen the student section go crazy on the fans. Shame on you Mercer, maybe if you get used to winning you will get some class, act like you have been there before. I realize that you have not been there before and so it may be hard, but seriously I am ashamed of you:madman:

Now onto the Boyle players:

They are young and inexperienced, but I am sick of that being an excuse people make.

The QB position is horrible, I don’t remember seeing a starting QB at Boyle this bad, and my Viewing and playing days go back pretty far, into the early 90's before Chuck Smith was there. Perry has no touch on the ball; his form is worse then that of Vince Young. No I don’t expect a Jeff Duggins or Brandon Smith every year, but Grant Tamme was a much better fit for this team at QB, at least he could get the ball to people. From what I have seen in the middle school games, and heard from other people they might as well start Conner Given at QB and I think he is only a freshman or sophomore.

The RB position is very very bad as well. Cole Steven may run real hard, but he does not have the speed, or size to be a very good back. Again, I don’t Expect a Matt Quinn, Casey McCoy, or Quinn Given but they have to have someone else to fill this spot, and its not That Crutchfield boy who's name escapes me. What about Reese Macshara, or Brett Marshall?

Wideout's, I never thought in my life that Taylor Bottom would be the best WR on the team, but sadly he is because unlike the others he cares and wants to win. The 2nd best player on the field is Freshman WR Reese McShara this is very sad. Josh Miller because of his size is the most over rated player I have ever seen, teams are not really double covering him, he just has not yet shown the big time catching ability, or the heart to make plays, except at the Danville game. His brother Josh may not have had the best hands, but he cared about winning, and I believe Josh needs to get there for this team to be successful, but he can get there. Show that senior leadership Josh. Put the Freshman Ben Carmen in at Wide out, maybe he can make some plays. Again I realize there is no Jacob, Seth Tamme but something's got to give

OL- I really give them credit, they are doing a fine job. Aaron Water's need's to keep anchoring this young group, but they are doing fine.

DL- Same as above keep it up.

LB - Step up and fill holes, make plays. The linebackers need to be down hill, stepping on the A and C gaps filling holes and making plays. Josh Miller is playing outside linebacker that is the position on the Boyle D that makes all the plays, Step up Josh and Show that Senior leadership

DB's - No speed in the secondary, if I was the O coordinator on the opposing team there would be no need to run the ball, send the ball long all night, short, middle, side lines it really does not matter.

The coaching is there, this formula is proven its time to get these players on board.

I love you Rebels, and I will never be ashamed of you just step up and make the plays. I am not attacking you guys, I love you all to death you have some Talent now the seniors just need to step up

I saw those students you were talking about. It was a small group. The crowd was overwhelming. Don't take it that those few kids represented the entire student body or administration. I saw no problems anywhere else. I agree the guy in the boxer shorts should have been told to leave. It isn't about Mercer acting like they've been there before it's about those few kids acting like it. I think the team is playing LIKE they are suppose to be at that level.

I find that little birdie hard to believe, that is nothing something Boyle co. does. The player are taught to worry about things in there control, if the coaching staff starts sending off tapes about refs, then the player are going to start to wonder, "well maybe we would have won if the refs did a better job" I really find this hard to believe.

And I do understand that the entire student body is not bad, but I would have gone into more detail had it not been 4am. But I also had very rude things said to me as I left, since there were people walking behind me intentionally screaming and cursing just so the Boyle fans would hear it. I also remember very clearly me walking into the game and hearing this, "Those Boyle people suck, 5 time state champs my tush. I feel bad for any fans that wasted there money today" What happened to showing class?

I also hope that my first post was not taken out of context, I want Boyle to have a great year, and I like the boys on the team. I just really feel that the reason we are losing is because we lack talent.

Coach Pardue was one of the best playcallers in the state. Play calling should be a strength but instead it is a major deficiency(it has almost gotten laughable). With Pardue calling the plays, this team is 4-1 with a loss to Henry Clay, and everybody is praising Perry, Tamme, Miller, and the rest. But, hindsight is 20-20, so lets let the seniors lead, the junior and sophmores follow, the coaches coach, the officials officiate, and the fans.... well cheer i guess
I agree the Pardue is a great O coordinator, but he would not have these guys 4-1 let me go back and give you an example

04 state championship Boyle vs. Highlands. Boyle lost to a great team, but the week of practice before the game, Boyle worked on a toss sweep to the running back with Brandon Smith lead blocking. At the end of the half Given Had 9 carries for 45 yards, and not a single carry to the teams leading rusher in the 2nd half, they went all pass. When you’re leading at half time how can you not run the ball anymore? Highlands 3-3 stack was vulnerable with Smith lead blocking for Given. In that same game Brandon Smith was intercepted 3 times because of the pressure up front. Because boyle stopped running the ball he had no time, also Boyle was trying to run a deep passing game, against D1 defensive backs, instead of working the short middle game where the 3-3 is vulnerable. When your left guard is getting man handled out there you don’t throw deep. Now Boyle got beat that day, but the play calling wasn’t great either.

H. But even if what you posted was true, is that really an example of playing in a hostile environment?:banana: Man, you must be getting soft:laugh:

IF the Mercer students behaved as poorly as you and someothers have posted, the Mercer school administration is to blame for not doing a better job controlling it and people should call the super and complain about it.

Maybe I should have brought up the fake band that Highlands had playing in the room over from the locker room we were getting dressed it. They had students I guess banging on these instruments, and when I say banging I mean that they were not playing songs, but playing noise to get into our heads so we could not sit back relax and get focused. That was a great Idea on the Highlands fans part, maybe a little rude but it worked, maybe a little unsportsmanlike like but it worked.

But even through all that, that was all in good fun of hating the other team. What Mercer did was rude and disrespectful. Sure Mercer has never won like they are now, but they should have showed more respect to a program like Boyle who has built a tradition.

When i first saw him i never in my life thought he would be a good player, let alone a senior leader, two way starter. But, ive been wrong before.:creepy: Its circle the wagon time for BC. Nobody is expecting much from them, its time for them to get a chip on their shoulders and show all the nay-sayers that they are true Rebels.:thumb: :thumb:

If he plays with the heart that his father played for Boyle County with then he will be just fine in whatever he takes on:thumb:

I must be missing something because "hostile" is not the adjective I would use to describe this situation.:devil: In fact, if that were the situation when I was in high school, I would have insisted on playing Highlands 3-4 times a year.

Ha, well get me outside of trying to win a state championship and im in heaven thats for sure.

But even through all that, that was all in good fun of hating the other team. What Mercer did was rude and disrespectful. Sure Mercer has never won like they are now, but they should have showed more respect to a program like Boyle who has built a tradition.

What SOME Mercer fans did was rude and disrespectful. But SOME of the FANS should have shown more respect to a program like Boyle. Please don't "group" all Titans fans together. I am not now, nor will I ever be disrespectful, nor my son - or else he will answer to me. He very much appreciated the "class act" and earned respect of the Boyle players. :thumb:

What SOME Mercer fans did was rude and disrespectful. But SOME of the FANS should have shown more respect to a program like Boyle. Please don't "group" all Titans fans together. I am not now, nor will I ever be disrespectful, nor my son - or else he will answer to me. He very much appreciated the "class act" and earned respect of the Boyle players. :thumb:

:thumb: :thumb: Ya know what I thought when those kids were walking up to me and shaking their fist in my face and screaming at me until my eardrums felt like they were going to burst? I thought, man if you were my kid I would take you back behind these bleachers and I would give you the thrashing of your life. I never thought for one minute that what I was subject do reflected upon the entire Mercer fans, I knew that these were ill mannered kids who had obviously not ever been taught any better. As for the people who sat down next to me and started to talk about our team....well just go figure why anyone would even want to do that. I can't speak for all the players on our team (oh I probably could but I won't) I can tell you this much, the one on that team that belongs to me would never ever be disrespectful to any team, coaches or refs. Not only was he taught better, he knows what he would get if he wasn't.:thumb:

I find that little birdie hard to believe, that is nothing something Boyle co. does. The player are taught to worry about things in there control, if the coaching staff starts sending off tapes about refs, then the player are going to start to wonder, "well maybe we would have won if the refs did a better job" I really find this hard to believe.

And I do understand that the entire student body is not bad, but I would have gone into more detail had it not been 4am. But I also had very rude things said to me as I left, since there were people walking behind me intentionally screaming and cursing just so the Boyle fans would hear it. I also remember very clearly me walking into the game and hearing this, "Those Boyle people suck, 5 time state champs my tush I feel bad for any fans that wasted there money today" What happened to showing class?

I also hope that my first post was not taken out of context, I want Boyle to have a great year, and I like the boys on the team. I just really feel that the reason we are losing is because we lack talent.

I agree the Pardue is a great O coordinator, but he would not have these guys 4-1 let me go back and give you an example

04 state championship Boyle vs. Highlands. Boyle lost to a great team, but the week of practice before the game, Boyle worked on a toss sweep to the running back with Brandon Smith lead blocking. At the end of the half Given Had 9 carries for 45 yards, and not a single carry to the teams leading rusher in the 2nd half, they went all pass. When you’re leading at half time how can you not run the ball anymore? Highlands 3-3 stack was vulnerable with Smith lead blocking for Given. In that same game Brandon Smith was intercepted 3 times because of the pressure up front. Because boyle stopped running the ball he had no time, also Boyle was trying to run a deep passing game, against D1 defensive backs, instead of working the short middle game where the 3-3 is vulnerable. When your left guard is getting man handled out there you don’t throw deep. Now Boyle got beat that day, but the play calling wasn’t great either.

Maybe I should have brought up the fake band that Highlands had playing in the room over from the locker room we were getting dressed it. They had students I guess banging on these instruments, and when I say banging I mean that they were not playing songs, but playing noise to get into our heads so we could not sit back relax and get focused. That was a great Idea on the Highlands fans part, maybe a little rude but it worked, maybe a little unsportsmanlike like but it worked.

Ron, you would have not been in a locker room at Highlands. Our visiting locker room accomodates about 10 players and hasn't been used by the visiting team since Jesus Christ quit playing decades ago. You were in the girls gym. Immediately adjacent to the girls gym is the band room where the band warms up. Not all warm up by the band is comprised of playing songs. Sometimes they do just bang the drum or blow the tuba on their own.

I am beginning to think you are a little paranoid, my friend. So you are wrong about the band. I But if that's all it took for you to lose your focus, then the Boyle Co players aren't quite as focused and disciplined as I once thought they were. :laugh: Surely you are not blaming your loss that year to Highlands on some fan "distracting" your warm ups, are you? If so, we can add that to the list of excuses we've heard over the years. It certainly is one of the most original (if not silly) excuses I've ever heard.

And I do understand that the entire student body is not bad, but I would have gone into more detail had it not been 4am. But I also had very rude things said to me as I left, since there were people walking behind me intentionally screaming and cursing just so the Boyle fans would hear it. I also remember very clearly me walking into the game and hearing this, "Those Boyle people suck, 5 time state champs my tush I feel bad for any fans that wasted there money today" What happened to showing class?

First of all, Coach Pardue said he was sending the tape in on his call-in show. :lol: :lol: :lol:.

And if the playcaller now was back in the 04 game, it would be dive, dive, dive, punt with 2 minutes to go in the game:lol: :lol: :lol: So maybe Givhan would have had 31 carries for 100 yards in that game.

I kinda wish i played against Highlands at Highlands now tho......

First of all, Coach Pardue said he was sending the tape in on his call-in show. :lol: :lol: :lol:.

And if the playcaller now was back in the 04 game, it would be dive, dive, dive, punt with 2 minutes to go in the game:lol: :lol: :lol: So maybe Givhan would have had 31 carries for 100 yards in that game.

I kinda wish i played against Highlands at Highlands now tho......

At least he would have gotten 100. Actully back then since a mobile QB was plyaing it was dive, dive, dive, get the whole defense thinking dive, Brandon Smith on the outside, or Evan Teague in the flats to run over some people.

And no I am not paranoid, nor do I think Boyle would have beaten Highlands at Highlands, but those things happend. You may not believe me, but I am pretty sure I had a better point of view then you did.