Mercer Co 27 Boyle Co 14

FBALL

great game great atmosphere. Mercers defense was VERY impressive! Hats off to the Titans. Offense was less than expected however, they showed that they can score from anywhere on the field. Mercer was hurt by its passing game. Boyle looked real good throwing the ball and had a lot of time to throw. Mercer shut down the running game though. I thought Mercer was a lot more physical than the rebs tonight however, Boyle Defense did a good job containing the speedy Mercer backs for most of the game. Hopefully this will be an annual match up. This was great for the Harrodsburg community. Would love to hear an attendance estimate.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats Mercer:thumb: I was impressed!

Here are a few thoughts of mine for what they're worth.

Both teams looked good on defense but Boyle showed us once again they will give up the big play.

Boyles offense looked about as bad as I can ever remember. A lot of credit goes to Mercers defense, BUT Boyle couldn't run the ball and yet not once but twice they call running plays on 3rd and 8, come on! And the QB played scared, when he got pressure he threw it up for grabs and Mercer caught a few of them:rolleyes: if your afraid get hit you don't need to play football. He must have thrown 5 balls at the feet of his receivers. When Tamme gets healthy he should be the QB. One more thing the guy who was returning punts for Boyle :rolleyes: catch the ball! He didn't even try to catch some that would have been easy fair catches and saved the team 5 to 10 yards in field position:madman:

I'm a huge Boyle fan and it hurts me to say bad things about them, but I was disappointed last night. I know they're young and they will be a lot better by seasons end and may even make some noise in the playoffs. And I'll still be yelling on the sidelines. I would just like to see the players play with more heart and the coaches call plays to give them a chance.

I thought the game had alot more sportsmanship then the previous thread.

Before I say what I am going to say, let me say this. Boyle County got beat. I will not talk about our QB. I will not talk about bad calls. I will never think that I am such an expert in football to think that I can either coach a game or call a game.

What I would like to say is this. Here in Boyle County/Danville we have had this "little" thing called a crosstown rivarly going on for a lot of years. A few weeks leading up to the game we all talk a little smack but never in a mean way. When I walked out of Danville stadium a few weeks ago after losing to Danville by 2 points, I walked with Danville fans and only once did I hear anyone say something unkind to me. I have been going to football games, all over the state, for over 30 years and I can truthfully say that never have I ever experience what I experience last night. I find it unacceptable that I was not allowed to go anywhere for the last few weeks without be subjected to mean smack talking. I find it unacceptable that I walked into an eating establishment in Harrodsburg before the game last night and had to listen to people talk to me the way they did. I find it unacceptable that I could not walk into the stadium at Mercer last night without having fans from Mercer County coming up to me and yelling into my face. I find it unacceptable that I could not sit in the stands, on the visitors side without having some of the student body coming up to the stands and yelling into my face. I find it unacceptable that I had Mercer fans sitting next to me in the stands (on the vistiors side) making fun of our players and yelling into my face. I find it unacceptable that the school allowed people (including Boyle fans) to stand and sit all around the sidelines, right next to the field (people this close is just asking for trouble). I find it unacceptable that I could not walk to my car without being yelled at. I truly hope that no one, who ever comes to our football field is ever treated the way I and some Boyle fans were treated. Before anyone takes the time to blast me for the above statement, please read my previous posts and you will find that I do not ever say anything like this. Mercer county has a fine football team. They have, from what I could see from the outside) a training facility that any high school would be proud to have. But if the kind of actions that I was subjected to last night continues to be allowed by the school, by the school administration and by the true fans, then people who come to play there will only come away with a horrible taste in their mouth. This takes nothing away from your football team and what they have accomplished and if they beat us, then they beat us and you will never hear me say anything other than that, but I wish I had never walked into that kind situation.

Did you sit in the bleachers on the sideling or the endzones? I saw alot of students on both ends. I don't know why they would have been in the visiting sideline bleachers. With that crowd and the seating arrangment it was hard for the fans not to be near the field. I can't answer for the behavior of some people. I think a good majority of Boyle and Mercer fans watched the game standing amongst one another. I didn't see anything.

Did you sit in the bleachers on the sideling or the endzones? I saw alot of students on both ends. I don't know why they would have been in the visiting sideline bleachers. With that crowd and the seating arrangment it was hard for the fans not to be near the field. I can't answer for the behavior of some people. I think a good majority of Boyle and Mercer fans watched the game standing amongst one another. I didn't see anything.

I sat on the visitors side on the sidelines and it was a most unpleasureable experience. I just hope that the people in charge at Mercer will understand that this is not acceptable and will take the time to put a stop to this kind of behavior. It only makes it look bad for the team and for the people who have worked so hard to build up your football team.

I don't know why they sat there either. When I asked them why, they replied, "cause we can".

I know this much, as a Boyle County fan, if I ever see this kind of behavior from our students or fans, I will be the first person to talk to our AD and see that this does not ever happen again. Sometimes in life all you will be remembered for is your behavior and trust me when I say, I will always remember how I was treated. The true Mercer fans should never accept this as correct behavior and should see that it never happens again to anymore visiting fans.

RebelK, I am sorry you had such a bad time last night. I had a great time watching two physical well coached high school football teams lay it on the line for 48 minutes. EVERYONE I talked to from both sides commented on what a great atmosphere it was that the two teams conducted themselves as good sports and played hard. I truely hope what you interpreted as viscious and inappropriate was misunderstood. I expect everytime I go away and watch Boyle play, if it is a competitive game, to receive some good hearted teasing. I did not see or hear of any fights, which frequently happen at other venues. I saw countless Boyle and Mercer fans tailgating and sitting together. I thought things went great, considering we lost :( I think this sets the stage for a GREAT local rivalry, something we can use. This game will only make both teams better and I for one hope Boyle wins 3A Mercer wins 2A and Danville wins 1a this season. One last point, this was a huge game for Mercer co. and it showed by how well the fans came out, including the students, to support their team. Boyle however, may be getting a little spoiled because I did not think as many people came to support the rebels as I would like. Another last point, everyone knew the seating was going to be poor which is why we brought chairs! We have played many other places just as bad. I can remember Prestonburg before they fixed their field and the fans were watching from the school roof top and standing ON the sideline. congrats to Mercer co. and their fans. Hope we all go to Louisville this year!

Whats is going on over there in Boyle Co.? Are they in a down year for talent, young and rebuilding, players going to Danville, etc. I cant remember Boyle losing this many games this early in the season ever. Anyways good win for a very solid Mercer Co. teams and looks to be heads above everyone else in Class 2A.

RebelK, I am sorry you had such a bad time last night. I had a great time watching two physical well coached high school football teams lay it on the line for 48 minutes. EVERYONE I talked to from both sides commented on what a great atmosphere it was that the two teams conducted themselves as good sports and played hard. I truely hope what you interpreted as viscious and inappropriate was misunderstood. I expect everytime I go away and watch Boyle play, if it is a competitive game, to receive some good hearted teasing. I did not see or hear of any fights, which frequently happen at other venues. I saw countless Boyle and Mercer fans tailgating and sitting together. I thought things went great, considering we lost :( I think this sets the stage for a GREAT local rivalry, something we can use. This game will only make both teams better and I for one hope Boyle wins 3A Mercer wins 2A and Danville wins 1a this season. One last point, this was a huge game for Mercer co. and it showed by how well the fans came out, including the students, to support their team. Boyle however, may be getting a little spoiled because I did not think as many people came to support the rebels as I would like. Another last point, everyone knew the seating was going to be poor which is why we brought chairs! We have played many other places just as bad. I can remember Prestonburg before they fixed their field and the fans were watching from the school roof top and standing ON the sideline. congrats to Mercer co. and their fans. Hope we all go to Louisville this year!

What I experienced was not good hearted teasing. It was some fans (mostly students) making a poor showing for their home team. I saw the same game you saw and I have not made and will not make any negative comments about the game and how it was played. I had a good seat in the stands and should not have had to be subjected to students coming up to the stands and yelling in our face. My point about the sidelines, IMO, should be taken serious. I do not ever think, no matter what the seating situation is, that fans should be allowed that close to the field. IMO, it's just asking for trouble from a lot of different angles. IMO, the only people that should be allowed that close is the people who NEED to be that close.

Whats is going on over there in Boyle Co.? Are they in a down year for talent, young and rebuilding, players going to Danville, etc. I cant remember Boyle losing this many games this early in the season ever. Anyways good win for a very solid Mercer Co. teams and looks to be heads above everyone else in Class 2A.

I don't think we've had any players going to Danville, who are they? What's going on at Boyle County? Oh, probably quite a bit:D Alot of what you said, and a little bit more.

I don't think we've had any players going to Danville, who are they? What's going on at Boyle County? Oh, probably quite a bit:D Alot of what you said, and a little bit more.

No i wasnt saying that players had gone to Danville cause i have no clue, just thought they could have contributed to Boyle County's sudden fall. I live hundreds of miles away and really have no clue just and outsider looking in and wondering what is going on in Boyle Co.?

What I experienced was not good hearted teasing. It was some fans (mostly students) making a poor showing for their home team. I saw the same game you saw and I have not made and will not make any negative comments about the game and how it was played. I had a good seat in the stands and should not have had to be subjected to students coming up to the stands and yelling in our face. My point about the sidelines, IMO, should be taken serious. I do not ever think, no matter what the seating situation is, that fans should be allowed that close to the field. IMO, it's just asking for trouble from a lot of different angles. IMO, the only people that should be allowed that close is the people who NEED to be that close.

The new stadium will be completed for next season. That will take care of the seating arrangement. Mercer did the best with what they had and should be commended for the effort and work it took to accomodate that many fans from both schools. I saw what many others in this thread saw...fans from both sides having a good time, mingling, tailgating, etc...

You had some smart aleck kids around you...sorry they singled YOU out while so many other folks from BOTH sides were enjoying themselves.

Besides, there were not so many complaints about our facilities when Boyle was waxing Mercer 58-7.:sssh:

Actually that was a good call. The call was for a "horse collar" where the player grabs another player's shoulder pads at the collar and makes the tackle by pulling the player down by his collar. It's confusing to fans because it falls under the face mask penalty definition. It was very obvious from my vantage point. Not that there weren't bad calls.;)

There is no horse collar rule in high school football. That is a NFL rule.

I agree ntrl. What a great night for football. The weather was perfect the atmosphere electric and it was not a long drive home. Unfortunately, there are always going to be some people that do not behave the way we would like but I choose to view the glass 1/2 full. Mercer tried their best to make reasonable accomodations for a very good crowd. Obviously, they have never had this problem in the past so one would not expect them to do everything perfect. However, there were several concesion stands added, bleachers brought in (set way back from the endzone) my goodness this is high school football in Kentucky NOT Texas. I wish we had 5 games a year or more with this kind of atmosphere. I personally don't enjoy 60-0 blowouts with 1/2 empty stands. I'd rather see a game like Friday night and lose. It was a non district game, like Danville, that has no affect on our district. I will predict we will win the district and compete for the Regional title this year.

The numbers I heard was well over 5,000 in attendance. I do hope that RebelK will forward the information regarding student behavior to Mr. Yates at the Moberly Road Campus and Mr. Standfield at the East Lexington Street Campus, no fan should be subjected to this type of treatment and rudeness. You can probably get emails on the Mercer website. I was on the hillside with many other Mercer fans receiving the Boyle fans with open arms, literally. It was good to see so many friends from Boyle that I have't seen in a while. We even had Boyle fans tailgating with us. I do hope you won't perceive this as the way all Mercer fans are. I am proud for the way our AD T. Yeast handled the night, and all of his assistants and the MANY hours they put in to try to accomodate for these numbers with concessions, bleachers, etc. Lessons learned, I'm sure. I look forward to travelling to Boyle County next year, and hope this becomes a tradition. Mercer County is very proud of our football team and coaching staff. "Welcome to Titan Town, the title has changed" or at least that is what the banner said that the players ran through last night. Good luck to Boyle the remaining season, again - it was a great game with unbelievable atmosphere.

Mercer's offense was lacking tonight due to the fact that Boyle County's defense was shutting them down at times. Brandon Ford was almost non-existent tonight. Boyle Co. had a great plan to shut him out. I think he only had 30 something yards rushing. The great thing about Mercer is that they have 3 other outstanding backs - Donald Walker, Cory Jackson, and Nathan Griffith. Thanks to the focus on Ford, that left Jackson open at times and able to reach the outside corner. He scored 3 TD's. Mercer has to got to develop a passing game. Receivers were dropping way too many balls that should have been caught!

Defense was great! Rashad Buster and Demarkus Masterson were all over the field all night. Daryl Smith had a great defensive game, as did Freeman Edwards. Fumbles were caused and interceptions were made! Way to go defense!!!!!!:dancingpa