Mercer Co 27 Boyle Co 14

FBALL

A terrific high school football game by 2 very good, well coached teams. Mercer probably has more overall talent but Boyle still plays as hard or harder than anybody and is great fundamentally. I wouldn't be surprised to see both teams go deep in the playoffs if Mercer can develop a threat of a passing game and Boyle do the same with a running game.

As a neutral observer, I thought the officials did a good job of keeping a very physical and emotional game under control without throwing a lot of flags. As in most close games, both teams where the beneficiaries of penalties at crucial moments at different times of the game. The best team on Friday, won on Friday. If they played again it could go the other way. A great game for those who got to see it. Unbelievable atmosphere in September.

Anybody know what the attendance ended up being??

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A terrific high school football game by 2 very good, well coached teams. Mercer probably has more overall talent but Boyle still plays as hard or harder than anybody and is great fundamentally. I wouldn't be surprised to see both teams go deep in the playoffs if Mercer can develop a threat of a passing game and Boyle do the same with a running game.

As a neutral observer, I thought the officials did a good job of keeping a very physical and emotional game under control without throwing a lot of flags. As in most close games, both teams where the beneficiaries of penalties at crucial moments at different times of the game. The best team on Friday, won on Friday. If they played again it could go the other way. A great game for those who got to see it. Unbelievable atmosphere in September.

Anybody know what the attendance ended up being??

Mercer was penalized 115 yards according to the paper.

I admit Mercer won the game and congratulated you, but by calling a spade a spade I now have no class.

Now, let me point something out wildcat111

Mercer's opponents so far this year have won 7 games and lost 13.

Boyle's opponents so far this year have won 21 games and lost 2.

If we had played a cupcake schedule like that, maybe we would be 4-1 right now instead of 1-4.

Go figure.

I think your exact words were "if I watched the #1 team in 2A tonight, that class is way down."

If that is the case then you are saying Boyle would be a middle of the pack 2A team competitively speaking. Quit knocking on a team that beat you, quit knocking on classes, quit knocking on enrollments, and take your loss like a 5 time champion....with some class.:irked:

I think your exact words were "if I watched the #1 team in 2A tonight, that class is way down."

If that is the case then you are saying Boyle would be a middle of the pack 2A team competitively speaking. Quit knocking on a team that beat you, quit knocking on classes, quit knocking on enrollments, and take your loss like a 5 time champion....with some class.:irked:

You are partly right. Boyle is about middle of the pack in 3A. Hopefully, by the end of the year they will be towards the top. Anyway, I'm not trying to pick any arguments here, just posting my opinion on the game. Sorry if it offended anyone. I must admit learning to lose again is tough, but that still doesn't change my opinion.

I was simply responding to wildcat111 who brought up the records of both teams. I thought I would shed some light on how both teams got those records.

Another post brought up the question: "Why did Boyle wear their HOME uniforms to an away game?" I noticed that. Seems to me that would excite the home team and provide a little more emotion? Was there an agreement made between schools or a statement that wasn't backed up?:sssh:

I played at southwestern and we took some pretty good beatings from boyle but never once did they trash talk or lose class. Every play they was there to help you get up or to say good play or good job man, I do not understand why everyone from mercer is blasting them. I am in my 20's but wasn't there an old saying that say's act like you been there before?

Another post brought up the question: "Why did Boyle wear their HOME uniforms to an away game?" I noticed that. Seems to me that would excite the home team and provide a little more emotion? Was there an agreement made between schools or a statement that wasn't backed up?:sssh:

Well I can answer the first part of that question....it definitely wasn't agreed upon.

However, let's cut Boyle some slack. Without a home game to now, a change of uniforms was probably a welcome change of pace for their kids. Not really that big a deal.

I played at southwestern and we took some pretty good beatings from boyle but never once did they trash talk or lose class. Every play they was there to help you get up or to say good play or good job man, I do not understand why everyone from mercer is blasting them. I am in my 20's but wasn't there an old saying that say's act like you been there before?

We saw several students walking the track in front of the Boyle fans exhibiting very rude behavior. I told the guys with me that they reminded me of the person who lives in a trailer all their life and then wins the $90 million lottery.

These were just kids however. I didn't really hear anything outrageous from the adult Mercer fans at the game.

We saw several students walking the track in front of the Boyle fans exhibiting very rude behavior. I told the guys with me that they reminded me of the person who lives in a trailer all their life and then wins the $90 million lottery.

These were just kids however. I didn't really hear anything outrageous from the adult Mercer fans at the game.

For those of you who live in a trailer.....his name is titletownclown!!!!:D :D :D

But, I do get your point. With that many folks, there were bound to be a few knuckleheads.

These particular kids just got past our pedigree checkpoint. :lol:

The new stadium will be completed for next season. That will take care of the seating arrangement. Mercer did the best with what they had and should be commended for the effort and work it took to accomodate that many fans from both schools. I saw what many others in this thread saw...fans from both sides having a good time, mingling, tailgating, etc...

You had some smart aleck kids around you...sorry they singled YOU out while so many other folks from BOTH sides were enjoying themselves.

Besides, there were not so many complaints about our facilities when Boyle was waxing Mercer 58-7.:sssh:

That's because no one from Mercer bothered to show up......:laugh:

For those of you who live in a trailer.....his name is titletownclown!!!!:D :D :D

But, I do get your point. With that many folks, there were bound to be a few knuckleheads.

These particular kids just got past our pedigree checkpoint. :lol:

I meant to say "nice trailer". Sorry for the confusion.;) Little wonder that the backstroke was always my best stroke in swimming eh?

We were there......crying about Boyles enrollment numbers. That is why they beat us wasn't it??:flame:

No just about the state of your team. You chose to play a bigger team, unlike everyone in your district, region, and class this year. Of course I'm sure you would dominate 3A this year anyway. And YOU may have been there but not many others wearing red and blue were......

I just want to make one last comment about the game, and especially Boyle.

Henry Clay, Danville and Lafayette, three of the teams that Boyle has lost too will make it DEEP into the playoffs, and if it werent for Henry Clay and Lafayette being in the same district/region, BOTH of them would make it far, but only one will..because one will beat the other out. One of those two teams will make it too the state semi's v.s Trinity, write it down!!

Secondly, noone is beating Danville, they'll be 15-0 and have their 11th state championship, Boyle lossed by 2 too them.

As for Mercer, too be determined, they definately have the FULL potential to do some big things.

Im going to say, in full confidence, that Boyle will go on a BIG winnding streak, one that may carry them through the first weekend in December at the Pizza Box. So, to you Boyle fans who think they are down, they arent that down. If you'll remember correctly, when Brandon Smith was a sophomore, they took a couple bumps along the road and had a great number of other sophomores starting, just like they do this year, what was the outcome, ANOTHER STATE CHAMPIONSHIP. They have a great coaching staff and kids that EXPECT to win, they will be fine...

In saying all this, also give credit where credit is due, Mercer Co. earned and won the game, their were BAD calls for both teams and plenty of them. Quit bringing up the enrollment #s of Mercer, they dont have but somewhere around 50 or so more kids than Boyle has enrolled, if that. Quit bringing up the "5A school playing 2A", bc that is NEXT YEAR, this year they are playing with low-mid 3A #s as far as enrollement goes . You dont ever hear DANVILLE fans bringing up that excuse when they lose to Boyle, so I wouldnt expect fans from a 5 time state champion to bring them up either.

Friday nite was the beginning to what I believe will be a VERY LONG lasting rivalry, one like that of a Tennessee/Florida...except on a high school level..where one will not only win some in the series, but also lose. Both of the teams that 7,000 people saw friday nite have the full capabilities of playing for a state championship, give the kids, on both sides some credit. Were their mistakes?! Heck yes, we're talking about 15, 16, 17 year old KIDS, and for a lot of the MERCER kids, it was the first time they had EVER played in an environment like that. Where would the world be without "Message Board Coaches"?!? Marty Jaggers, Chris Pardue, Sam Harp etc. and their staffs have about 20-30 seconds to make a call, it sure would be nice to think about a certain play in the first quarter, then say what should've been called come 5 mins afterwards, then ask the refs, "Um, can we have a re-do"??!! Wouldnt that be a GREAT luxury for them??!! Fact is, they, nor any other coaches, in ANY sport have the ability to do that. But, EVERYBODY is a coach on Friday nites, right?!

So, now that Boyle/Danville and Boyle/Mercer is over with, how about SOME of us GROW up on here and, think about, even though it is a LONG way down the road, the possibility of having 3 relatively small town schools playing at Papa Johns in December??! How great would that be?!! If you are going to make negative comments about any of OUR area schools, in any way,dont do it on dang message board!!( Lets also not forget about Lincoln Co. in 4A, Larry French and his staff is restoring things over their in Stanford, how great would it be to see them make it DEEP in November, as well!!) :jump: :thumb: :ylsuper: