Mercer Co 27 Boyle Co 14

FBALL

Actually that was a good call. The call was for a "horse collar" where the player grabs another player's shoulder pads at the collar and makes the tackle by pulling the player down by his collar. It's confusing to fans because it falls under the face mask penalty definition. It was very obvious from my vantage point. Not that there weren't bad calls.;)

According to the chain gang it was a bad call of course who could see with all the people in the stands

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually that was a good call. The call was for a "horse collar" where the player grabs another player's shoulder pads at the collar and makes the tackle by pulling the player down by his collar. It's confusing to fans because it falls under the face mask penalty definition. It was very obvious from my vantage point. Not that there weren't bad calls.;)

If I am not mistaken the "horse collar" rule is only in effect on the NFL level, I am certain it doesn't apply in college and 95% sure that it doesn't happen on the high school.

If I am not mistaken the "horse collar" rule is only in effect on the NFL level, I am certain it doesn't apply in college and 95% sure that it doesn't happen on the high school.

You and Buffalo Gap are correct. Apparently my "source (a former friend:D )" has supplied me with erroneous information. That having been said, it was a bad call by the ref and myself.:D :D

So, now that Boyle/Danville and Boyle/Mercer is over with, how about SOME of us GROW up on here and, think about, even though it is a LONG way down the road, the possibility of having 3 relatively small town schools playing at Papa Johns in December??! How great would that be?!! If you are going to make negative comments about any of OUR area schools, in any way,dont do it on dang message board!!( Lets also not forget about Lincoln Co. in 4A, Larry French and his staff is restoring things over their in Stanford, how great would it be to see them make it DEEP in November, as well!!) :jump: :thumb: :ylsuper:

I know for a fact that after the game when the Boyle County players congratulated Mercer on the win that some Boyle players said "2A all the way, They said that Mercer deserved to be in the State Championship and they (Boyle County players) wouldn't let them accept anything less. Quite encouraging words from such young men.

As for next year, sophomores and juniors combined - Nathan Griffith, Nick Reed, Matthew McCloud, William Harris, Thad Claunch, Hunter Robinson, Trevor Short, Jordan Yeast, Mark Coulter, Ellis Delahousay, Tyler Horn, Austin Vaughn, Jay Linton, John T. Linton, Norris Yeast, Keith Brooks, Devan Patton just to name a few off the top of my head - over 40 return. The Mercer group was quite successful in Middle school, so consider the players they incorporate from the burg - and it could be some years of succees for the New TITANS. Over 30 I heard on freshmen team.

Why did Boyle wear their home uni? Was it a statement? Does anyone know or did you all even notice? I noticed and assumed there was an agreement worked out between school, but have read different.

I asked the same question, why did Boyle wear their home uniforms? But, for whatever reason the Mercer players noticed it immediately when they walked on the field and were quite angered at it being our home field and took it as an insult - who's house? our house! :argue:

According to the chain gang it was a bad call of course who could see with all the people in the stands

I was standing in perfect view. He pulled or more of a jerked him down by his jersey. The ref was behind and from his point of view I know it probably looked like it was a face mask with the way his head snapped back. But he shouldn't have thrown the flag without seeing the face mask grabbed. Those things happen. But it did happen on 4th and 10 and Boyle scored on the very next play.

I know for a fact that after the game when the Boyle County players congratulated Mercer on the win that some Boyle players said "2A all the way, They said that Mercer deserved to be in the State Championship and they (Boyle County players) wouldn't let them accept anything less. Quite encouraging words from such young men.

As for next year, sophomores and juniors combined - Nathan Griffith, Nick Reed, Matthew McCloud, William Harris, Thad Claunch, Hunter Robinson, Trevor Short, Jordan Yeast, Mark Coulter, Ellis Delahousay, Tyler Horn, Austin Vaughn, Jay Linton, John T. Linton, Norris Yeast, Keith Brooks, Devan Patton just to name a few off the top of my head - over 40 return. The Mercer group was quite successful in Middle school, so consider the players they incorporate from the burg - and it could be some years of succees for the New TITANS. Over 30 I heard on freshmen team.

You will never find a Boyle team that will not congratulate the other team for a well fought win. They, and true fans, will always give credit where credit is deserved. One of those players who played on the losing team belongs to me and he gave the Mercer players high credit for their game. He understands, because he was taught, that you can't always win but you never give up trying and you should always be gracious in your wins and your losses. He was taught this by his father, my brother, who also played for Boyle County. At my brothers last high school game, Danville put a whooping on them that was not pleasant but after the game he stood in the middle of Danville's squad, on the field, and congratulated each Danville player. My point is this, you should never leave the field and smack talk any player, winners or losers. Each of these kids play their tails off and all of them should be proud of what they have accomplished:thumb:

I asked the same question, why did Boyle wear their home uniforms? But, for whatever reason the Mercer players noticed it immediately when they walked on the field and were quite angered at it being our home field and took it as an insult - who's house? our house! :argue:

It must not take to much to anger the Mercer players then. Black or White whats the difference? It didn't madder what color Boyle had on, the Mercer players would have still been angered at Boyle.

Let me just say this about the atmosphere, and more the fans at the Boyle, Mercer game. I have played or been to some very hostile Environments, Louisville Central, in the heart of downtown Louisville where it was literally a scary environment with girls trying to sell us programs during our pregame Speech. I have also been to Paducah Tilghman, and Prestonsburg, but I have never once seen such poor class, as I saw out of the students at Mercer Co, I was literally shocked at the way they acted with nothing being done. They had students walking through our Boyle section, wearing nothing but boxer shorts holding up signs of mercer screaming into the faces of Boyle fans just sitting there warming up. I heard cursing from them, and rude and obscene jesters, and nothing was done about this. I must say I am ashamed of the way they acted. As a former player and a winner of a few state championships, I must say that we have been treated badly by fans as players, and student tried to intimidate us but this is the first time I have seen the student section go crazy on the fans. Shame on you Mercer, maybe if you get used to winning you will get some class, act like you have been there before. I realize that you have not been there before and so it may be hard, but seriously I am ashamed of you:madman:

Now onto the Boyle players:

They are young and inexperienced, but I am sick of that being an excuse people make.

The QB position is horrible, I don’t remember seeing a starting QB at Boyle this bad, and my Viewing and playing days go back pretty far, into the early 90's before Chuck Smith was there. Perry has no touch on the ball; his form is worse then that of Vince Young. No I don’t expect a Jeff Duggins or Brandon Smith every year, but Grant Tamme was a much better fit for this team at QB, at least he could get the ball to people. From what I have seen in the middle school games, and heard from other people they might as well start Conner Given at QB and I think he is only a freshman or sophomore.

The RB position is very very bad as well. Cole Steven may run real hard, but he does not have the speed, or size to be a very good back. Again, I don’t Expect a Matt Quinn, Casey McCoy, or Quinn Given but they have to have someone else to fill this spot, and its not That Crutchfield boy who's name escapes me. What about Reese Macshara, or Brett Marshall?

Wideout's, I never thought in my life that Taylor Bottom would be the best WR on the team, but sadly he is because unlike the others he cares and wants to win. The 2nd best player on the field is Freshman WR Reese McShara this is very sad. Josh Miller because of his size is the most over rated player I have ever seen, teams are not really double covering him, he just has not yet shown the big time catching ability, or the heart to make plays, except at the Danville game. His brother Josh may not have had the best hands, but he cared about winning, and I believe Josh needs to get there for this team to be successful, but he can get there. Show that senior leadership Josh. Put the Freshman Ben Carmen in at Wide out, maybe he can make some plays. Again I realize there is no Jacob, Seth Tamme but something's got to give

OL- I really give them credit, they are doing a fine job. Aaron Water's need's to keep anchoring this young group, but they are doing fine.

DL- Same as above keep it up.

LB - Step up and fill holes, make plays. The linebackers need to be down hill, stepping on the A and C gaps filling holes and making plays. Josh Miller is playing outside linebacker that is the position on the Boyle D that makes all the plays, Step up Josh and Show that Senior leadership

DB's - No speed in the secondary, if I was the O coordinator on the opposing team there would be no need to run the ball, send the ball long all night, short, middle, side lines it really does not matter.

The coaching is there, this formula is proven its time to get these players on board.

I love you Rebels, and I will never be ashamed of you just step up and make the plays. I am not attacking you guys, I love you all to death you have some Talent now the seniors just need to step up

Let me just say this about the atmosphere, and more the fans at the Boyle, Mercer game. I have played or been to some very hostile Environments, , Louisville Central, in the heart of downtown Louisville where it was literally a scary environment with girls trying to sell us programs during our pregame Speech. I have also been to Paducah Tilghman, and Prestonsburg, but I have never once seen such poor class, as I saw out of the students at Mercer Co, I was literally shocked at the way they acted with nothing being done. They had students walking through our Boyle section, wearing nothing but boxer shorts holding up signs of mercer screaming into the faces of Boyle fans just sitting there warming up. I heard cursing from them, and rude and obscene jesters, and nothing was done about this. I must say I am ashamed of the way they acted. As a former player and a winner of a few state championships, I must say that we have been treated badly by fans as players, and student tried to intimidate us but this is the first time I have seen the student section go crazy on the fans. Shame on you Mercer, maybe if you get used to winning you will get some class, act like you have been there before. I realize that you have not been there before and so it may be hard, but seriously I am ashamed of you:madman:

They are young and inexperienced, but I am sick of that being an excuse people make.

The QB position is horrible, I don’t remember seeing a starting QB at Boyle this bad, and my Viewing and playing days go back pretty far, into the early 90's before Chuck Smith was there. Perry has no touch on the ball; his form is worse then that of Vince Young. No I don’t expect a Jeff Duggins or Brandon Smith every year, but Grant Tamme was a much better fit for this team at QB, at least he could get the ball to people. From what I have seen in the middle school games, and heard from other people they might as well start Conner Given at QB and I think he is only a freshman or sophomore.

The RB position is very very bad as well. Cole Steven may run real hard, but he does not have the speed, or size to be a very good back. Again, I don’t Expect a Matt Quinn, Casey McCoy, or Quinn Given but they have to have someone else to fill this spot, and its not That Crutchfield boy who's name escapes me. What about Reese Macshara, or Brett Marshall?

Wideout's, I never thought in my life that Taylor Bottom would be the best WR on the team, but sadly he is because unlike the others he cares and wants to win. The 2nd best player on the field is Freshman WR Reese McShara this is very sad. Josh Miller because of his size is the most over rated player I have ever seen, teams are not really double covering him, he just has not yet shown the big time catching ability, or the heart to make plays, except at the Danville game. His brother Josh may not have had the best hands, but he cared about winning, and I believe Josh needs to get there for this team to be successful, but he can get there. Show that senior leadership Josh. Put the Freshman Ben Carmen in at Wide out, maybe he can make some plays. Again I realize there is no Jacob, Seth Tamme but something's got to give

OL- I really give them credit, they are doing a fine job. Aaron Water's need's to keep anchoring this young group, but they are doing fine.

LB - Step up and fill holes, make plays. The linebackers need to be down hill, stepping on the A and C gaps filling holes and making plays. Josh Miller is playing outside linebacker that is the position on the Boyle D that makes all the plays, Step up Josh and Show that Senior leadership

DB's - No speed in the secondary, if I was the O coordinator on the opposing team there would be no need to run the ball, send the ball long all night, short, middle, side lines it really does not matter.

The coaching is there, this formula is proven its time to get these players on board.

I love you Rebels, and I will never be ashamed of you just step up and make the plays. I am not attacking you guys, I love you all to death you have some Talent now the seniors just need to step up

Interesting post about the Boyle players. Nothing like making a grand entrance onto BGP. Get ready for RebelK's response. Since I haven't seen Boyle play, I really can't respond to that portion of your post.

However in your lead in paragraph you mention that when you played Highlands, they had girls in plad skirts. Those would be the cheerleaders. :banana: Man, you must be getting soft:laugh:

IF the Mercer students behaved as poorly as you and someothers have posted, the Mercer school administration is to blame for not doing a better job controlling it and people should call the super and complain about it.

;)

Let me just say this about the atmosphere, and more the fans at the Boyle, Mercer game. I have played or been to some very hostile Environments, Louisville Central, in the heart of downtown Louisville where it was literally a scary environment with girls trying to sell us programs during our pregame Speech. I have also been to Paducah Tilghman, and Prestonsburg, but I have never once seen such poor class, as I saw out of the students at Mercer Co, I was literally shocked at the way they acted with nothing being done. They had students walking through our Boyle section, wearing nothing but boxer shorts holding up signs of mercer screaming into the faces of Boyle fans just sitting there warming up. I heard cursing from them, and rude and obscene jesters, and nothing was done about this. I must say I am ashamed of the way they acted. As a former player and a winner of a few state championships, I must say that we have been treated badly by fans as players, and student tried to intimidate us but this is the first time I have seen the student section go crazy on the fans. Shame on you Mercer, maybe if you get used to winning you will get some class, act like you have been there before. I realize that you have not been there before and so it may be hard, but seriously I am ashamed of you:madman:

Whoa where to start;) I've already had my say about what I thought about the student body from Mercer so I will not rehash my thoughts on that one and I will not comment on the other schools. Now on to our players. Wow...I wasn't aware the we were all this bad. I've watched these kids play and I could have sworn that I've seen kids playing their tails off and to be quite honest, I thought they held their own against everyone except Henry Clay (and not a lot of people will be able to do that). People are calling these kids young and inexperience because that's what they are. When you have a team full of underclassmen that's not a team with a lot of experience. Now onto the QB position. Perry is not horrible, he may need to work on his form some and he might need to learn not to be scared to take a hit but he isn't horrible. This kid can put up a lot of yards but to call him horrible, IMO, just isn't a fair statement. I have to admit that there is a lot of people who don't understand why Tamme was pulled from the QB position and a lot of people don't like that decision but it was a decision that the coach made and both of these kids, Perry and Tamme, did what the coach requested and what they thought would be best for the team. I think that's what they call being a team player. I am not going to discuss kid by kid but I will tell you this. My kid is a senior on this team. He played the whole game hurt friday night and never came out of the game once. He is a mountain of cuts, scraps, bruises, hand hurt, shoulder hurt, leg hurt but he never came out of that game and he never once complained to any coach or a trainer about how bad he hurt. This tells me that there are kids, him and a lot more, who do care about what they are doing. They care about the game, they care about the team and they are playing as hard as humanly possible, and IMO they are showing their heart and determination everytime they take a field. If anyone cares to hear my opinion here's what I think. I think Boyle County fans have been spoiled for so long that they can't get pass the thought that this team is 4-1 and they can't seem to find anyone else to blame, so they are now taking it out on these kids and that just isn't fair. I don't always agree with what the plays that the coaches call but then the last time I looked I wasn't the coach. I hardly ever agree with the calls that the refs make;) but then I'm not wearing that striped shirt. But I do know one thing, these kids have played some really really good teams and they have played them down to the last minute. These kids have heart and if some people can't see it, then they just need to stop trying to coach this team and look at what is really happening out there on that field. I can bet everyone this much. If for some reason this team makes it through the district and go onto the playoffs, the people who have been blasting these kids will be the first ones in line at the games telling everyone (now) just how good they are. I, of course, will be there and I will just keep on appreciated these kids for all their heart and for all the hard work that they have done (win or lose).:thumb: