Holmes 44 Holy Cross 43

So the whole Holy Cross crowd is pathetic?You need a reality check. I was sitting with a group of parents (including myself) and we may not be crazy loud or obnoxious but we cheer our team on. Guy next to me was sending out updates of the game on his phone. And my son gets critiqued by me, his AAU coach and sometimes another coach after every game. He knows what he needs to do. He also is smart enough to see what's wrong.

The whole AAU Coach critique always seems to bring about a lot of complaints from parents about high school coaches. The AAU Coach says this player is capable of doing this, this, and this. That the coach should be doing it this way, etc. Then parents agree with the AAU Coach and so the high school Coach must be the reason so and so kid is not doing as well as they do in AAU basketball.

I have always found the AAU thing interesting because there is a lot of AAU coaches who aren't very good at all, but yet act like since they Coach AAU they are very good coaches. It's like the whole youth sports thing in all sports. Youth coaches win championships with certain players in youth, but when those same players don't win championships in high school it's the coaches fault. Even though it doesn't matter to them that they now play better competition, other teams players have gotten bigger as they matured, etc and some players just not being as good as people had thought. In some cases it could be poor coaching, but in a lot of cases it's not. It's just the whole youth sports, AAU coach perspective causing bad opinions to get formed in people's heads.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not going to debate with you but I trust coaches who see the kids every day in practice, know things about them we all don't know as far as grades, school attitude, etc. Coaches put players on the floor who he/she thinks gives them the best chance to win. Fans sometimes don't like it when fans favor certain players for whatever reason.

HC probably played 8-10 kids, I didn't count and quite frankly, it looked like the starters were the better players, but not significantly. Subbing didn't hurt them. As tough as it was to maintain the ball and shoot, no one stood out to me other than, I think his name was Williams, but I could not hear very well. He was a nice player in this game. He was strong and aggressive.

Just an outside observer no biases at all with HC.

In the history of sports and in the history of BGP there is often an indirect correlation between the amount of complaining a parent does and his/her child's playing time.

Exactly!

In the history of sports and in the history of BGP there is often an indirect correlation between the amount of complaining a parent does and his/her child's playing time.

I would argue that the "biggest" problem is favoritism shown to a coach's child. This is why I never understood why schools hire coaches who have children in the program. To me, it is different if a coach has been in the system for a bit and then their kid/s come through the program. Hiring them with kids already in the program is asking for problems if you ask me and the problem gets magnified 1000 times if the team is losing.

Where was all this criticism of Coach Schrand last year? He had his sons on the team last year and they did pretty well. Yeah, I get it, Nolan is not Leighton nor should he be but could it possibly be that HC is just not as good with the loss of the seniors they had on the team last year? I said it at the beginning of the year that this team lost a tremendous amount with Bezold, Jabukowski, and L. Schrand being seniors and quite possibly the team might be in a "re-building" year which just about every team goes through it at some point. Playing or not playing Nolan as much I do not believe changes the fact that they just might not be as good as the previous two teams. Holy Cross will be fine but it just might be "one of those years". I think Coach Schrand knows what he's doing with "his" program and I have no dog in the fight but some of the things I have read in previous HC posts are pretty eye-opening and pretty personal if you ask me, which of course nobody is, but knowing coach a little bit from being one of those "AAU Coaches" that just happened to coach the older Schrand, Bezold, and Jabukowski and help to make them better, Holy Cross will get it figured out. Ease up a little and support your coach.

Me personally, the best thing that I've done was to step away from coaching my daughter and her team, even though I was just an assistant. The plus with Kentucky is that everyone one gets in the district playoffs and all they have to do is win one game and their right back in regionals.

I admittedly have a dog in this fight, but I think I can stand outside as a Holy Cross fan and say that, for whatever reason, this team has not met the expectations that most had for it this year. Place blame where you like or don't, I just believed that with 3 varsity contributors returning from what was, for a time, the best team in the Ninth Region last year, combined with arguably the best sophomore class in the Ninth Region, the Indians would compete in every game, would have great difficulty beating Cooper and CovCath, but had a great chance at being the 3rd best team in the 9th after those two. Obviously, they have not performed any where near that level. Individually, if we are being honest, the only player that has approached expectations has been sophomore Ty Houston, who has been solid and often the best offensive threat on the floor.

I hope they figure it out this year, and I continue to have every expectation that they should compete for a regional championship the next 2 years. It is not lost on me that that sounds like a pipe dream given this year's performance.

Where was all this criticism of Coach Schrand last year? He had his sons on the team last year and they did pretty well. Yeah, I get it, Nolan is not Leighton nor should he be but could it possibly be that HC is just not as good with the loss of the seniors they had on the team last year? I said it at the beginning of the year that this team lost a tremendous amount with Bezold, Jabukowski, and L. Schrand being seniors and quite possibly the team might be in a "re-building" year which just about every team goes through it at some point. Playing or not playing Nolan as much I do not believe changes the fact that they just might not be as good as the previous two teams. Holy Cross will be fine but it just might be "one of those years". I think Coach Schrand knows what he's doing with "his" program and I have no dog in the fight but some of the things I have read in previous HC posts are pretty eye-opening and pretty personal if you ask me, which of course nobody is, but knowing coach a little bit from being one of those "AAU Coaches" that just happened to coach the older Schrand, Bezold, and Jabukowski and help to make them better, Holy Cross will get it figured out. Ease up a little and support your coach.

I enjoyed this and agree with every bit of it

I admittedly have a dog in this fight, but I think I can stand outside as a Holy Cross fan and say that, for whatever reason, this team has not met the expectations that most had for it this year. Place blame where you like or don't, I just believed that with 3 varsity contributors returning from what was, for a time, the best team in the Ninth Region last year, combined with arguably the best sophomore class in the Ninth Region, the Indians would compete in every game, would have great difficulty beating Cooper and CovCath, but had a great chance at being the 3rd best team in the 9th after those two. Obviously, they have not performed any where near that level. Individually, if we are being honest, the only player that has approached expectations has been sophomore Ty Houston, who has been solid and often the best offensive threat on the floor.

I hope they figure it out this year, and I continue to have every expectation that they should compete for a regional championship the next 2 years. It is not lost on me that that sounds like a pipe dream given this year's performance.

Another great read here today, not sure what the problem is this year either but I do love Ty's game, with that soph class the future is bright if everyone can take a deep breath and think about the big picture, hoping they can make some noise in the All A coming up and have a little fun this year

I have been reading on here quite a bit about the Holy Cross Soph's. Can someone list their names? Also curious how they compare to the Soph's in Cov Cath's program:

5 T.J Deere 10th 6'4” 165 Forward

11 Tyler Fleek 10th 6’4” 190 Center

20 Jack Davin 10th 6'5" 175 Forward

30 Nick Thelen 10th 6’7” 185 Center

2 Johnny Schuh 10th 5’9” 145 Guard

10 Michael Bishop 10th 5'10” 155 Guard

33 C.J Brannen 10th 6'0” 150 Guard

34 Michael Spencer 10th 6'1" 175 Forward

40 Adam Fortner 10th 6'1" 180 Forward

I have been reading on here quite a bit about the Holy Cross Soph's. Can someone list their names? Also curious how they compare to the Soph's in Cov Cath's program:

5 T.J Deere 10th 6'4” 165 Forward

11 Tyler Fleek 10th 6’4” 190 Center

20 Jack Davin 10th 6'5" 175 Forward

30 Nick Thelen 10th 6’7” 185 Center

2 Johnny Schuh 10th 5’9” 145 Guard

10 Michael Bishop 10th 5'10” 155 Guard

33 C.J Brannen 10th 6'0” 150 Guard

34 Michael Spencer 10th 6'1" 175 Forward

40 Adam Fortner 10th 6'1" 180 Forward

Don't know all their names. They surely aren't as big as these guys listed here are. Don't know how many of these played freshman for CCH last year, but the optimism lies in the fact that HC beat the CCH freshman in the regular season and regional finals last year.

Don't know all their names. They surely aren't as big as these guys listed here are. Don't know how many of these played freshman for CCH last year, but the optimism lies in the fact that HC beat the CCH freshman in the regular season and regional finals last year.

Ok - got it. Thanks.

If my memory is correct...

CCH won the regular season game.

HC won the Regional Championship game..

If my memory is correct...

CCH won the regular season game.

HC won the Regional Championship game..

Correct. And for full disclosure, CCH did not have Davin or Thelen playing frosh .... But they did have Jack Coldiron then. And I said "arguably" the best sophomore class. If we take CovCath out of the equation, I don't see an argument.

Correct. And for full disclosure, CCH did not have Davin or Thelen playing frosh .... But they did have Jack Coldiron then. And I said "arguably" the best sophomore class. If we take CovCath out of the equation, I don't see an argument.

No argument from me.