Holmes 44 Holy Cross 43

The whole AAU Coach critique always seems to bring about a lot of complaints from parents about high school coaches. The AAU Coach says this player is capable of doing this, this, and this. That the coach should be doing it this way, etc. Then parents agree with the AAU Coach and so the high school Coach must be the reason so and so kid is not doing as well as they do in AAU basketball.

I have always found the AAU thing interesting because there is a lot of AAU coaches who aren't very good at all, but yet act like since they Coach AAU they are very good coaches. It's like the whole youth sports thing in all sports. Youth coaches win championships with certain players in youth, but when those same players don't win championships in high school it's the coaches fault. Even though it doesn't matter to them that they now play better competition, other teams players have gotten bigger as they matured, etc and some players just not being as good as people had thought. In some cases it could be poor coaching, but in a lot of cases it's not. It's just the whole youth sports, AAU coach perspective causing bad opinions to get formed in people's heads.

And this has what to do with my response to 23 fan?

But you do make valid points. I'll go one step further and say this: just because you coach AAU or HIGH SCHOOL bball doesn't mean your a good coach. I've said it for a while now- half the AAU coaches are horrible. And half the school coaches are horrible also.

My sons AAU coach telling him after a game that he; didn't run as fast as he could have in transition, shot flat, didn't box out every play, didn't close out with both hands up, or didn't go strong to the basket are things that give me bad opinions of the school coach?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nolan Schrand is not the problem.

He has scored 140 points off of his 122 FGA. That's 1.15 per attempt.

Let's compare that to some good players.

Brennan Hall 1.05

Adam Kunkel 1.21

CVH 1.20

Hunter Meyer 0.99

I could go on but you see that he's somewhat effective.

I am not using these numbers to say Player A is better than Player B. The slam I hear/read on Nolan is he shoots too much/all he does is shoot. Well, when he DOES shoot he's fairly effective. Moreso than some others.

I have never seen where any one said that Nolan Schrand is the problem. It had been stated that he is not the best player on the team, therefore why does he get more minutes than anyone else? And just because you can shoot the ball, well, there is more to the game than that. If anyone says the reason this team is losing is because of Nolan Schrand, their blaming the wrong Schrand.

Where was all this criticism of Coach Schrand last year? He had his sons on the team last year and they did pretty well. Yeah, I get it, Nolan is not Leighton nor should he be but could it possibly be that HC is just not as good with the loss of the seniors they had on the team last year? I said it at the beginning of the year that this team lost a tremendous amount with Bezold, Jabukowski, and L. Schrand being seniors and quite possibly the team might be in a "re-building" year which just about every team goes through it at some point. Playing or not playing Nolan as much I do not believe changes the fact that they just might not be as good as the previous two teams. Holy Cross will be fine but it just might be "one of those years". I think Coach Schrand knows what he's doing with "his" program and I have no dog in the fight but some of the things I have read in previous HC posts are pretty eye-opening and pretty personal if you ask me, which of course nobody is, but knowing coach a little bit from being one of those "AAU Coaches" that just happened to coach the older Schrand, Bezold, and Jabukowski and help to make them better, Holy Cross will get it figured out. Ease up a little and support your coach.

Trust me the critism was there last year when he kept playing Nolan. It just didn't make it here.

In the history of sports and in the history of BGP there is often an indirect correlation between the amount of complaining a parent does and his/her child's playing time.

I will agree with this Clyde. I will also say in the history of youth sports there is a "direct correlation" of playing time when the coach has a child, or relative, or freinds son on the team.

Looks like much needed help is on its way to Latonia.

Heard from a very reliable source that the Wiggins kid from Newport hasn't been at all happy with his lack of playing time there, so he's transferring to Holy Cross and will be immediately eligible to suit up for the Indians in the All 'A' Classic in their game against.. of all teams... Newport.

Go figure.

Heard from a very reliable source that the Wiggins kid from Newport hasn't been at all happy with his lack of playing time there, so he's transferring to Holy Cross and will be immediately eligible to suit up for the Indians in the All 'A' Classic in their game against.. of all teams... Newport.

Go figure.

LMAO :clap::lol2:

Go figure.

Heard his dad is joining the coaching staff???

No!!!!! I hope that is just a rumor. Newport will not be the same team without him. On or off the court.

I can't say that I blame him. Newport really missed the boat on utilizing him to his fullest potential. Smart move if you ask me, and what a boost to a program in dire need of some new life. I think that he'll be a good fit and make an instant impact.