Who is the greatest college football team ever?

GrantNKY

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one is questioning most talent, but that shouldn't equal best team. Nebraska in 95 more dominated their schedule, which I believe included 4 top 10 teams. No doubt, the greatest collection of players was 01 Canes.

I think that Canes team was without question the most talented but did it play together as the best team? That is what could be argued either way.

I think that Canes team was without question the most talented but did it play together as the best team? That is what could be argued either way.

When they were on, they had a higher ceiling than anyone else.

No one is questioning most talent, but that shouldn't equal best team. Nebraska in 95 more dominated their schedule, which I believe included 4 top 10 teams. No doubt, the greatest collection of players was 01 Canes.

Exactly. That season was the most dominating brand of football I have ever seen. Again, not a single game was competitive, and they were not playing a cupcake schedule. I am convinced I could have rushed for 1,000 yards with some of the holes opened. Nothing is more devastating than an option attack.

Average score was 53-14. 562 yards/game (400 rushing). Closest margin of victory was 14 points.

Miami's average score was 43-10. They had one win against a top 10 opponent (#4 Nebraska 37-14). Closest margin of victory was 2 points.

It's so hard to compare eras but how many teams from before the 95 Nebraska team are transcendent enough to win in any time period. I think it's well established that teams from the last 20ish years are just different classes of athletes than in previous generations but are there any teams from before 95 that could compete with Alabama of Clemson today? I personally say no. Especially with the way recruiting is now.

It's so hard to compare eras but how many teams from before the 95 Nebraska team are transcendent enough to win in any time period. I think it's well established that teams from the last 20ish years are just different classes of athletes than in previous generations but are there any teams from before 95 that could compete with Alabama of Clemson today? I personally say no. Especially with the way recruiting is now.

Not a chance they could. I even question going back any more than 15 years if one could fully compete. Conditioning, nutrition, etc. have changed immensely.

Not a chance they could. I even question going back any more than 15 years if one could fully compete. Conditioning, nutrition, etc. have changed immensely.
People are just bigger, stronger, and faster now a days. Couple that with schools like Bama and Ohio State literally recruiting coast to coast now. It used to be most of your team was made up of in State guys and maybe 10-15 out of State. Now it's maybe 20 in State guys and the rest are out of State at least in the case of the best teams.

How far back do we have to go to find an NFL team that Alabama could compete with now a days. Please don't say the Browns this year that is such a cop-out and we all know that's not true. But seriously if we go back to the 60's could Bama beat a team from that era? I'm not saying could they beat the Packers of the 60's but could they beat an average NFL team in the 60's? Do we even need to go back that far?

So the '86 Hurricanes are too old?

Testeverde, Michael Irvin, Jerome Brown, Bennie Blades, etc.

How far back do we have to go to find an NFL team that Alabama could compete with now a days. Please don't say the Browns this year that is such a cop-out and we all know that's not true. But seriously if we go back to the 60's could Bama beat a team from that era? I'm not saying could they beat the Packers of the 60's but could they beat an average NFL team in the 60's? Do we even need to go back that far?

80s possibly.