Who is the greatest college football team ever?

GrantNKY

So the '86 Hurricanes are too old?

Testeverde, Michael Irvin, Jerome Brown, Bennie Blades, etc.

I think that this is the case here. You have a team w/ skill players to match the current teams. What you don't have is the size on the line to match the size that Alabama or Clemson bring. They could keep up with today's teams athletically, I just don't know that their 250 lbs guards and centers would be able to hold up to a rotation as deep as Bama or Clemson.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that this is the case here. You have a team w/ skill players to match the current teams. What you don't have is the size on the line to match the size that Alabama or Clemson bring. They could keep up with today's teams athletically, I just don't know that their 250 lbs guards and centers would be able to hold up to a rotation as deep as Bama or Clemson.

That's the issue. There are certainly players that are transcendent throughout the history of college football, but it's the depth that is so impressive now. You have D line man now that are 295 and run like running backs. They didn't build players like Johnathan Allen back then.

21 Miami Hurricanes football team - Wikipedia

Looking at their season I am not totally sold. Ken Dorsey was the QB. Some of the best players often cited were deep on the bench as freshmen and sophomores. They played a good schedule but struggled in two late games and played a terrible Nebraska opponent who had just been shellacked in their conference title game.

1995 Nebraska Cornhuskers football team - Wikipedia

Contrast the title game the '95 Huskers opponent and I believe there is the trump card. Florida was unbeaten and unchallenged for the most part. In fact they would rebound to win the title the next year. But for 1995 they were beaten by the largest margin in title game history.

That's why I have to give the nod to the Huskers.

I agree about Nebraska not being good when they played Miami that year, I actually thought Oregon should have played in that game. Even if they did, I don't know if the result would have been any different. If all of the talent was taken away that surrounded Dorsey in the backfield and at the receiver/TE positions, he would of not had remotely close to the numbers he had as a college quarterback.

Ever is a pretty big pool to be picking from. Seeing how decades ago it wasn't uncommon for college all stars to beat NFL teams. Actually one of those games college all stars beat a reinging NFL Championship team. So to be so narrow minded to

think the best team has to be one of this generation may not be right.

I think one of the best ever after being told about them when I was little from my grandpa and dad and reading up in them. Army 1945 may have been the best ever.

Ever is a pretty big pool to be picking from. Seeing how decades ago it wasn't uncommon for college all stars to beat NFL teams. Actually one of those games college all stars beat a reinging NFL Championship team. So to be so narrow minded to

think the best team has to be one of this generation may not be right.

I think one of the best ever after being told about them when I was little from my grandpa and dad and reading up in them. Army 1945 may have been the best ever.

Can you give me some specs of those players on the 1945 Army team? Then I'll give you the specs on the players of the 95 Nebraska team, 01 Miami team, and the 04 USC team and see how they compare. It's not hard to see that athletes are simply better now than they were back then. Almost every track and field, swimming, etc. world record was set recently. That's the same across every sport. I mean football players used to smoke back in the day, you honestly think they would stand a chance against the finely tuned athletic machines of today? No chance.

Can you give me some specs of those players on the 1945 Army team? Then I'll give you the specs on the players of the 95 Nebraska team, 01 Miami team, and the 04 USC team and see how they compare. It's not hard to see that athletes are simply better now than they were back then. Almost every track and field, swimming, etc. world record was set recently. That's the same across every sport. I mean football players used to smoke back in the day, you honestly think they would stand a chance against the finely tuned athletic machines of today? No chance.

Really?? You seriously going to compare eras with thinking the only way to say a team is better is to put them head to head 60 years apart? Guess what? I bet Northwestern could beat the teams from 60-70 years ago too.

i also bet Bama today could beat all 3 teams you just mentioned. Eras are different, athletes are different. Guess what? Players in the 90's and early 2000's also smoked.

We are stalking about best teams of all times, not how much stronger players are today compared to 60 years ago. Technology has changed as has training methods etc. don't try and compare that way, that's stupid. This years Bengals team could also beat the Steelers of the 70's, does that mean this years Bengals team is one of the best teams ever?

Don't be that guy who doesn't understand that you compare teams to teams of their own era. You look at what those teams did to see who was better for their time. Did Nebraska go undefeated for back to back seasons? How about Miami or USC?

To give you some history of the 45' Army team. It was thought of that time that Notre Dame was the best team to ever play the game. So much so that some people say the 43' Notre Dame team may be the best ever. Well Army dismantled ND both years they were undefeated ,45 and 44, they were so dominate that Army didn't just beat #2 ND, they destroyed them in 45 by winning 48-0. In the 2 year run Army beat ND by a combined 107-0 and again ND was thought to be one of the best teams ever and in both years we're ranked either #1 or #2 when they met Army. In 45 Army also beat #6 Penn 61-0. They also crushed top team Navy that year 32-13. Something else about how dominate Army was as they won back to back Natl Championships in 44 and 45 that in 45 they lost their Heisman trophy winning qb Angelo Bertelli to active duty service in the middle of the season so another future Heisman trophy winner Johnny Lujak took over and led them to their 2nd consecutive national championship in their second consecutive undefeated season. Their RB who also would win the Heisman in 46 avg'd almost 12 yards a carry in 45'.

Im sorry Grant, but none of those teams you mentioned have players that dominated like the players of the 45' Army team.

Really?? You seriously going to compare eras with thinking the only way to say a team is better is to put them head to head 60 years apart? Guess what? I bet Northwestern could beat the teams from 60-70 years ago too.

i also bet Bama today could beat all 3 teams you just mentioned. Eras are different, athletes are different. Guess what? Players in the 90's and early 2000's also smoked.

We are stalking about best teams of all times, not how much stronger players are today compared to 60 years ago. Technology has changed as has training methods etc. don't try and compare that way, that's stupid. This years Bengals team could also beat the Steelers of the 70's, does that mean this years Bengals team is one of the best teams ever?

Don't be that guy who doesn't understand that you compare teams to teams of their own era. You look at what those teams did to see who was better for their time. Did Nebraska go undefeated for back to back seasons? How about Miami or USC?

To give you some history of the 45' Army team. It was thought of that time that Notre Dame was the best team to ever play the game. So much so that some people say the 43' Notre Dame team may be the best ever. Well Army dismantled ND both years they were undefeated ,45 and 44, they were so dominate that Army didn't just beat #2 ND, they destroyed them in 45 by winning 48-0. In the 2 year run Army beat ND by a combined 107-0 and again ND was thought to be one of the best teams ever and in both years we're ranked either #1 or #2 when they met Army. In 45 Army also beat #6 Penn 61-0. They also crushed top team Navy that year 32-13. Something else about how dominate Army was as they won back to back Natl Championships in 44 and 45 that in 45 they lost their Heisman trophy winning qb Angelo Bertelli to active duty service in the middle of the season so another future Heisman trophy winner Johnny Lujak took over and led them to their 2nd consecutive national championship in their second consecutive undefeated season. Their RB who also would win the Heisman in 46 avg'd almost 12 yards a carry in 45'.

Im sorry Grant, but none of those teams you mentioned have players that dominated like the players of the 45' Army team.

The question was who is the greatest team. If a team 95 Nebraska or anyone else could beat that team they aren't the greatest. They were the greatest of their era. I'm looking for the greatest collection of college football players ever. Which team could beat every other team in the history of college football. That's what I was asking. Sorry if that wasn't clarified.

The question was who is the greatest team. If a team 95 Nebraska or anyone else could beat that team they aren't the greatest. They were the greatest of their era. I'm looking for the greatest collection of college football players ever. Which team could beat every other team in the history of college football. That's what I was asking. Sorry if that wasn't clarified.

Then your thread title is wrong. It has nothing to do with what team

was the greatest. It has everything to do with what technology made the most freakish athletes. The three teams you mentioned would get

crushed by a lot of teams

in 5 years and so in and so on and so on...

Of course humans have become bigger and stronger and faster every few years. That is what I meant when I said you have to see who the greatest team is by what they did in their time. For instance, Army in 45' finished back to back undefeated seasons and crushing the #2 team and everyone else in their path that year. That team also had 3 Heisman Trophy winners. Now you tell me what team on your list has come close to that in the year you talk about.

You want to know what team could beat every team in college history. Then I say this years Alabama team. They could certainly beat every team you listed and I listed seeing how my team all the players are dead now and yours are all retired by now etc. in 10 years that years team champ could probably beat everyone because of all the advances that will take place over

the next decade. So you will never have an answer that doesn't change every few years.

Just to give an example of what you're saying is this... you do know the 2016 Browns are better than the 1970's Steelers because the Steelers offense back then was very easy to stop by today's defenses etc and the defense of the Steelers back then couldn't stop the Browns offense because of how much stronger the players are today and how much the game has changed.

Edited by Hellbird

Then your thread title is wrong. It has nothing to do with what team

was the greatest. It has everything to do with what technology made the most freakish athletes. The three teams you mentioned would get

crushed by a lot of teams

in 5 years and so in and so on and so on...

Of course humans have become bigger and stronger and faster every few years. That is what I meant when I said you have to see who the greatest team is by what they did in their time. For instance, Army in 45' finished back to back undefeated seasons and crushing the #2 team and everyone else in their path that year. That team also had 3 Heisman Trophy winners. Now you tell me what team on your list has come close to that in the year you talk about.

You want to know what team could beat every team in college history. Then I say this years Alabama team. They could certainly beat every team you listed and I listed seeing how my team all the players are dead now and yours are all retired by now etc. in 10 years that years team champ could probably beat everyone because of all the advances that will take place over

the next decade. So you will never have an answer that doesn't change every few years.

Just to give an example of what you're saying is this... you do know the 2016 Browns are better than the 1970's Steelers because the Steelers offense back then was very easy to stop by today's defenses etc and the defense of the Steelers back then couldn't stop the Browns offense because of how much stronger the players are today and how much the game has changed.

This years Alabama team is not beating 95 Nebraska, 01 Miami, or 04 USC. This thread is obviously going to be heavily skewed towards the modern day. That's fine with me. You can make this thread go in whatever you want. I'm just saying what my initial intention of it was. I was intending for it to be if team x lined up and against team y. Which one wins? But if you want to discuss which team is most dominant in their era of all time then by all means discuss.