United States does not veto UN Resolution

How do the actions of President Bush compare to those of President Obama?

I am not well-versed in the intricacies of our relationship with Israel through the years. However, my understanding (without a lot of depth to it) says that President Bush may have also had some issues with Israel regarding occupation and threatened Israel financially. I can't imagine that as complicated as the Israel situation is that it's always been smooth sailing with previous administrations.

So for those who are saying this is unique or this administration is unique in regards to Israel educate us (or just me) on how this administration is different than others.

So I googled "Obama vs Bush Israel."

First site that come up talked about President Obama's strong support of Israel through words and actions. No clue who this site is. No clue if they are slanted. I throw this out for something for us to chew on when discussing this administration and Israel.

Obama has a stronger record on Israel than you might have been led to think - Opinion - Israel News | Haaretz.com

The military cooperation has been so strong that in a 2012 speech to the Israel National Defense College, then-Defense Minister Ehud Barak said, “The security ties between us and the current administration are at the highest level they have ever been.”

read more: Obama has a stronger record on Israel than you might have been led to think - Opinion - Israel News | Haaretz.com

@Jesse James you seem to be pretty bothered by this. Can you answer my questions as to how this administration differs from the previous administration?

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Jesse James you seem to be pretty bothered by this. Can you answer my questions as to how this administration differs from the previous administration?

What bothers me more than anything is that Obama and even Bush for that matter has went against Israel in a bad way. One I do not support obviously.

This is very complex I admit. I think the Palestinians do need land. I just dont know where it comes from. Israel just became a country again in 48 or right about there and I can see their point of not wanting to give up anything, as they are very small already and especially to a sworn enemy that would love nothing better than for them to be extinct.

I dont know all the answers you ask for. I dont even know if I want to spend the time to figure out what you ask. I can tell you this. The articles are missing alot. The reason I say that Bibi hates Obama and the things he has done to them. He thinks he is one of them privately and somewhere I dont remember where he even said it. If I had a link I would provide but I dont, but read that a few years back.

My thoughts on Israel come from a pure Religious look from being a Christian and have read the Bible some. In that regard I am very biased.

HELL NO !!!!! BGP's Biblical "scholars" would disagree with me, however.

I stand by them 100% Biblically. I dont give anyone 100% pass. But like I stated, they are not trying to start wars with anyone, just trying to survive. One could say the same for the Palestinians. They are just on the wrong side of the fence for me. Just being honest.

Wrong wrong,wrong,wrong,wrong,wrong,wrong,wromg,wrong !!!!!! When you have this many right-wing BGP'ers saying you're wrong, it tells me he's probably right, right, right !!!

Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.

If you are for it, that tells me it's the wrong move.

What bothers me more than anything is that Obama and even Bush for that matter has went against Israel in a bad way. One I do not support obviously.

This is very complex I admit. I think the Palestinians do need land. I just dont know where it comes from. Israel just became a country again in 48 or right about there and I can see their point of not wanting to give up anything, as they are very small already and especially to a sworn enemy that would love nothing better than for them to be extinct.

I dont know all the answers you ask for. I dont even know if I want to spend the time to figure out what you ask. I can tell you this. The articles are missing alot. The reason I say that Bibi hates Obama and the things he has done to them. He thinks he is one of them privately and somewhere I dont remember where he even said it. If I had a link I would provide but I dont, but read that a few years back.

My thoughts on Israel come from a pure Religious look from being a Christian and have read the Bible some. In that regard I am very biased.

Precisely.

Just because you hate Obama doesn't mean everything he does is wrong.

Maybe it means he has the stones to do what is right. Doing the right thing is not always the most popular decision. I'll trust him to do what is right over Israel than any of you guys. That's for sure.

If he had stones he would of done it publicly and before the last month of his tenure. This entire situation reeks of cowardly behavior.

This entire thread disappoints me. This should be bipartisan. Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East. It is not in the best interest of peace to allow anti semitic countries to condemn Israel to condemn them on a global scale like this.

To Clyde's question literally every adminstration including this one veto's every anti Israel bill at the UN until this. This is historical to the 1000th power.

Every adminstration has negoiated with Israel and influenced with financial means. But this breaks historical precedence of not protecting them on the global scene against anti semetic countries. It's really that simple , at a time of islamic jihad and war in Syria we allow the UN to condemn Israel when we have Veto power. It was a cowardly move and proved what most knew, Obama is not friendly to Israel. If it weren't for the strong Israel support in other leadership positions in the Democrat party this would of happened much sooner.

There is a reason , ever heard of the Holocaust?

I have. This nation stopped it, this nation carved out a piece of land in the ME, and this nation has maintained the sovereignty of Israel since that time period.

Any other reason to bring it up?

If he had stones he would of done it publicly and before the last month of his tenure. This entire situation reeks of cowardly behavior.

This entire thread disappoints me. This should be bipartisan. Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East. It is not in the best interest of peace to allow anti semitic countries to condemn Israel to condemn them on a global scale like this.

To Clyde's question literally every adminstration including this one veto's every anti Israel bill at the UN until this. This is historical to the 1000th power.

When I read what I linked and when I read things like this:

The administration’s abstention reflects a larger reality: President Obama did more to shield Israel from international pressure at the United Nations than any of his predecessors.

Obama Allows Toothless UN Resolution Against Israeli Settlements to Pass

Then you say it's "historical (I assume you meant historic)" and I read this:

This was the only Security Council resolution calling on Israel to respect international law that Obama ever refused to veto. Under George W. Bush, six similar resolutions were allowed through. Under H.W. Bush, nine resolutions critical of Israel were allowed through.

So that tells me this is somehow unique as to what the previous presidents did. How?

The article says the resolution is "toothless" and says Americans are wanting to see Israel halt settlements.

One of the last sentences is interesting: All the UN is asking is that Israel respect international law

So with all of that and with the record amount of military aid given to Israel under President Obama I struggle to see the amount of angst and downright anger over this resolution.

Educate me, please. (and I'll assume you won't tell me it's a religious thing.)

Every adminstration has negoiated with Israel and influenced with financial means. But this breaks historical precedence of not protecting them on the global scene against anti semetic countries. It's really that simple , at a time of islamic jihad and war in Syria we allow the UN to condemn Israel when we have Veto power. It was a cowardly move and proved what most knew, Obama is not friendly to Israel. If it weren't for the strong Israel support in other leadership positions in the Democrat party this would of happened much sooner.

You posted this after my last post so...

Not friendly to Israel? I'm struggling to see that based on actions AND words.

If you bring up Syria and jihad that would seem to tell me you do NOT think it's about enforcing existing international law. So what would it be then?

This thread disappoints you? Pure comedy. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

You posted this after my last post so...

Not friendly to Israel? I'm struggling to see that based on actions AND words.

If you bring up Syria and jihad that would seem to tell me you do NOT think it's about enforcing existing international law. So what would it be then?

Because the artical you posted is false. While the resolution does not pose sanctions , it does change international law. Technically could allow prosecution in international court in Europe.

Please continue your defense. Deep down if you were the fair poster you claim to be you would just admit not only does this resolution go against US historical stance on Israel but this adminstrations stance in 2011. You would admit it was a cowardly move to do in your last month in office. But you won't do that. You will find articles from the far left trying to compare it to other events. The problem is there is no comparison to this level.